1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeff Luhnow hired as General Manager of the Houston Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheDreams, Dec 7, 2011.

1. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

alysonfooter
    Astros confirming Jeff Luhnow hired as general manager of the Houston Astros. Formal announcement forthcoming.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]DALLAS – In their effort to bring the first championship in club history to Houston, the Astros will turn to a reigning champion, hiring Jeff Luhnow of the Cardinals to be general manager.

The group of owner Jim Crane and CEO George Postolos made the announcement late Wednesday night at the winter meetings, ending a 10-day search following the firing of Ed Wade.

Luhnow served as St. Louis’ vice president of player procurement, an amateur scouting role that fit the profile of what the Astros sought heading into their search.

In replacing Wade, Luhnow will be tasked with continuing the rebuilding of the farm system that Wade began by trading All-Stars Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Michael Bourn and Hunter Pence. The Astros’ search focused entirely on candidates who boasted strong backgrounds in scouting and player development.

Luhnow had been charged with the Cardinals’ scouting and player development before those departments split within the organization.[/rquoter]

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

someone tell me how i should feel about this.

1 person likes this.
  4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Of the remaining available competitors, I'm satisfied with him being hired.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Indifferent until given a reason to feel otherwise.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Very happy...the guy is great at everything the Stros suck at right now.

Talked to an NBC sports guy tonight who covers the Cards and he said this was a better hire than Friedman would have been.

Here is a cool Q and A...

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7216

1 person likes this.
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Will he be the Astros version of Morey?

8. rockets934life

Yes...he is basically the lovechild of Morey and Billy Beane.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm happy with the hire. Jeff Luhnow won't create the buzz that Andrew Friedman would have, but he is more than qualified and his background is in an area where the Astros need help.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Does this mean we will sign no free agents, and wait three years for the farm system to develop? That's what I've suspected Crane will do all along. While it's smart for money and business, it's a bad first reputation.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sounds like a good hire to me. Time will tell. Go 'stros!

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

alysonfooter
    Astros confirming Jeff Luhnow hired as general manager of the Houston Astros. Formal announcement forthcoming pending Nolan Ryan's approval.

that was the real tweet.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Right direction. How well he can execute the farm-building will remain to be seen. Reserve judgement on Luhnow until he does or doesn't produce young starts. Reserve judgement on Crane until he shows he will spend on the major league level once the farm churns out enough guys.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If only he could hit .300+ and 30hrs.

DD

15. rockets934life

He won't sign any big name free agents, minus a few bargain bin guys, this season but it won't last three seasons. The farm team is middle of the pack as is and with more impact talent coming in from trading away Wandy, Myers and Lee along with the draft coming up today, the Stros should continue to see the system move up. Still have the #1 pick this season and a great shot at the #1 pick next season in the amateur draft.

I'm sure he'll give it until next season to evaluate the organization before deciding to bring in top FAgents but Luhnow will have essential a clean slate on big market team, so there will be money to spend soon.

One thing I am really happy about from reading about Luhnow is that he likes to scout internationally, especially Latin America. You could see the Stros sign 1 or 2 impact international FAgents this season to help the farm, something like what the Rangers do annually.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Will the Cardinals miss him?

If so, then I'm good.

17. Pete the Cheat

good read...I sensed a little attitude/swagger in that write-up. will be interested to see how he handles the media.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Hopefully he will be a solid hire. Any rookie GM comes with risks, but at least there is the potential for reward.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He has the right pedigree. I don't like that the Astros had to go with their 7th choice, but they still hired the right kind of guy. (It sounds like we're evaluating a draft pick instead of a GM hire.)

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why is it a bad thing? It's what's needed to get this club back on the path of consistent success.

Sounds like a good hire.

I guess we should all start researching the Cards minor leaguers as were likely to see some of the end up in the Astros system.