1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Efficient 56 Points

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Nov 5, 2017.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I will always remember the thread comparing Harden to OJ Mayo. It's one of 5 funniest moments of my life.

nemac, HakeemOnlyFan, Deuce and 8 others like this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Or @Asian Sensation saying trade harden.

In his thread people were saying trade him for deangelo russell lololol

Mazulis, Reeko, Pen15clubber and 3 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

From power rankings by ESPN:

2. Houston (8-3)
    James Harden has now authored two of the three most prolific games in NBA history if going strictly by points scored or assisted on. He scored 56 and assisted on 35 more on Sunday for a grand total of 91 points created, the third-most in a single game in NBA history. He scored or assisted on 95 in a game last season while Wilt Chamberlain tallied 104 (100 scored to go with two assists) back in Hershey, Pennsylvania, in 1962. -- Micah Adams

Wilt 104
    Harden 95
    Harden 91

Wilt scored 100 points on 63 shots and had 2 assists in 48 minutes. James played 35 minutes 15 seconds so he played 73% of the minutes that Wilt played. He accounted for 87.5% of Wilt's scored+assisted on points total.

Harden scored or assisted on plays at a rate of 2.58 points or assist points per minute.
    Wilt scored or assisted on plays at a rate of 2.17 points or assist points per minute.

In Klay Thompson's ridiculous 60 affair in 29 minutes, he scored or assisted on 2.17 points or assist points per minute assuming his one assist that game was a 3 pointer. It would be 2.14 if it was a 2 pointer that he assisted on.

If Harden was able to keep his rate up for all 48 minutes, he would have accounted for 124 points last night.

I'd estimate that LeBron's amazing night of 57 points was a rate of 1.76 points accounted for per minute. Kobe's 81 point game performance was at a rate of 2.07 per minute (estimated threes on each of his 2 assists). Michael Jordan's best game was at 1.64 per minute.

Harden played 42 minutes in his 95 points accounted for performance for a rate of 2.26 per minute. That was also enough to dethrone Wilt pace wise.

#63 don grahamleone, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's also shooting 76% from 0-3'; his best year by far.

By comparison , that is better than 11 of Lebron's years. Better than 7 of Durant's years, including this year. Giannis is 81%, but less last year. Better than any WB year, by far. Any Curry year, by far. Any Kashi year.

nemac and DonKnock like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

But heypartner....WHERE. ARE. THE. REBOUNDS?

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Honestly I think part of it is that Harden is so good offensively that this feels like a normal game. We certainly tend to take for granted how good he is.

7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Excellent analysis on points scored+assisted rate. Harden's rate of 2.58 dwarfs those of Wilt, Jordan, and Klay!

Killatron 2000 and DonKnock like this.
  8. macan

macan Member

Harden also lead the league in 3 pointer made, 6 more than the second place Stephenie!

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Not me!

I tell everybody exactly how good he is right now.

I usually get met with some babble about flopping or turnovers tho.

Mazulis, Killatron 2000, BigM and 2 others like this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Honestly I think D
    Completely disagree. I would even go as far as saying Dreymond is more important than curry. I would say building a team around curry wouldn't be nearly as strong as Harden, Lebron, Gianis antikumpiiononions, ect.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can say that if you want, but the stats all prove you wrong.
    Curry's +/- impact to the GSW has been miles better than any of his teammates.

Klay isn't worth discussing.
    KD isn't worth discussing, even if he is individually a better player than perhaps anyone on the planet.

I appreciate your high valuing of Draymond, because I'd agree he is pretty important and very unique top 10/15 type player in the NBA. Not that +/- is the be-all, end-all, but Steph has all the other stats, too.
    http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/12/finals-stat-golden-state-warriors-cleveland-cavaliers-game-5#/
    https://clutchpoints.com/regularized-adjusted-plus-minus-stats-stephen-curry/
    or go here to look at past seasons: http://www.82games.com/

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Only fools who want him traded after every bad game take for granted how good he is. Only fools who compare him to Damian Lillard and Klay Thompson and DeMarcus Cousins take for granted how good he is. I could go on...

Killatron 2000, BigM and DonKnock like this.
  13. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Defense.

And we're fair to drive that home.

SIL

14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Curry's gravitational pull trumps anything the other guys do.

SIL

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Harden is a WONDER
    A Phenom!

IMAGINE IF HE PLAYED WITH YAO!!!!!!

Rocket River

16. don grahamleone

We're taking 7.3 more 3 pointers this year compared to the first 11 games last year. I think players believe in D'Antoni's system now. I think coach has them all locked in on the offensive system. We're not playing all that well on offense, but we're playing to MDmA's strength. This shows me a lot seeing as we have 3 new faces that are heavy long ball contributors.

17. don grahamleone

Yao's athleticism going to the basket was someone weak, but that pick and pop game would be there. Seeing he was 53% from 2pt land, he'd probably be able to get away with that style of offense today. Two smart players playing together would have been fun especially because Yao never put himself in front of the team. He'd play however he was told to.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Still most points in a Rockets win.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

#neverforget

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lebron also often doesn't play good defense