1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Despite ESPN's efforts to minimalize Harden and promote Westbrook, Harden will win MVP. Hardens stats are just as good and his team is significantly better. Most people with a vote get this.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Harden gets through next 7 games at 5-2. He will coast to an MVP. I am not even worried about it.

Their record will be 7-10 games better than the Thunder.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think Westbrook got it. He's going to keep winning n losing games with huge stats. Harden will win games with lower stats. Voters will lean on the triple double number.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Probably would behoove Harden to have a good game in the next two games since they are national TV broadcasts.

Yeah, if the Rockets play well these next 7 games against top competition that will be significant.

DreamShook and RudyTBag like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Rachel Nichols just tried to make an argument that what Westbrook is doing is more important than winning a championship. Wow.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'd love to hear the audio of this. I bet it's hilarious.

I mean...if they just came out and said "Hey...listen...Durant left Westbrook. What Harden is doing is great, but we want Westbrook to win MVP because he's really popular and it would be a cool story", I'd respect that much more than the mental gymnastics that are currently on display, because it's clear that objectivity isn't a factor.

#566 J Sizzle, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Looks like her Hot Take Machine is out of the shop. Pure and utter idiocy at its finest.

buffalobills!!! and BigM like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Stephen Jackson was looking at her through the side of his eye. He was like, "naw."

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Port Arthur's own!

10. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

I haven't missed that many Rockets games this season (probably watched 90% of the games), and this is how I honestly feel inside. Harden has been very good this season - a top 5 player no doubt - but I just don't think he's been MVP-level great. Too many bad shooting nights combined with head-scratch-inducing turnovers and lethargic defense. Maybe I would feel the same about the past MVPs if I was able to follow their regular season games more closely? Possible. Maybe I'm spoiled by the jaw-dropping, sensational performance by the recent back-to-back MVP. But despite what the numbers suggest, I just don't feel like Harden has been MVP worthy good. That being said, I kinda feel similar with regard to Westbrook, so I don't really mind if neither of them wins in the end.

11. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

One more thing : In terms of sheer impact and having lots of memorable individual moments during the regular season (such as buzzer beaters), 14-15 Harden might have been better than this year. Harden's current numbers are superior across the board - sans 3PT% and turnovers - but Harden this season is noticeably quite in late game situations. People talk about how Isiah is leading the league in 4Q scoring, and how Westbrook is so clutch, all the while Harden's name is barely mentioned in this type of discussions. A huge hit for an MVP candidate.

#571 brewer's goat, Feb 27, 2017
    And1redux and Wylo like this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm not sure what to make of Stephen Jackson because I haven't heard much of him, but I think he wanted to say "are you out of your f&$king mind?"

Also, do we really need Ramona Shelbourne on TV?

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The problem is that you're not watching 90% of every other team's games. Every player has flaws, moments of stupidity, etc but If all you see is everything Harden does and the highlights of the other guys than it's a jaded picture.

Stormy1234 and cbs1507 like this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Did you watch the Chicago game a few weeks ago? Harden was not quiet at all late in that one. Same with the game in Philly exactly one month ago where he had his 2nd 50 point triple double of the season. Part of the reason Harden doesn't score as much late in games is because the Rockets have a 6.9 point differential which is 3rd best in the league. With a stat like that, it stands to reason there will be a lot of nights where the team simply doesn't need James to bail them out in the 4th quarter. And he shouldn't be penalized for that considering Curry wasn't the last 2 seasons when he got the MVP.

Stormy1234 and cbs1507 like this.
  15. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

http://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/#!?sort=PTS&dir=-1

Curry was clutch as hell even when GSW was blowing teams left and right for the past two seasons.

#575 brewer's goat, Feb 27, 2017
  16. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

You don't need to watch 90% of the games to understand how many weaknesses a certain player possesses. Most MVPs have at most one or two major flaws in their game. Curry was relatively weak on defense (still better than Harden), but other than that he was fine to great; Jordan was not a good 3PT shooter; Shaq was atrocious at free throws (and defending PnR); Duncan, KG and Kobe were good-to-great all around; Iverson, Nash and Dirk were all poor defenders (AI was also inefficient).

In contrast, Harden has three major holes in his game - streaky shooting (which he compensates by getting to the line, but his shooting % are consistently mediocre, which gives a bad look to the casual fans), turnovers, and defense. That means on any given night, you are probably more likely to get frustrated by Harden's shortcomings than the other MVPs. God forbid Harden has an off-shooting night combined with his usual turnovers and defense; that really upsets a lot of people even on this forum.

#576 brewer's goat, Feb 27, 2017
  17. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Westbrook is probably going to steal the MVP. However, the Thunder will get the 6 seed, Harden will summon his inner Hakeem and go full on 96 Robinson on him.

HookemHorns1250 and Stormy1234 like this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Harden's problems are magnified because you have a rooting interest in seeing the Rockets do well and are more prone to frustration when something stupid happens. I get mad at him every single game but I also think he's clearly the MVP this season. Read some other forums to get an idea about what people think about their players when things aren't perfect.

Harden and Westbrook are both by far the best players on their teams and both are relied on heavily to be focal points of both initiating and finishing offensive plays. That reflects in how similar their stats are, how high their turnovers are, and how mediocre their defense is.

This is about MVP this season, not how these guys compare to Jordan or Curry from the last 2 seasons. Who is your MVP?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

1:30-3:30

20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Max is a cuck.

He is very verbose but has no substance. He is so political in his language. He is too cowardly to take a stance on most things. He has mastered the art of saying a lot of words without giving direct answers.

He also is a super SJW.

Will cain, love him or hate him, is at least a logical person who is committed to building arguments the right way. He lays down claims and then supports them. He has a law degree here at UT so he is actually trained in proper argumentation.

Max just gets emotional and flustered.

I disagree with a ton of Will Cain's views but I respect his ability to argue far more than I respect Max's

#580 Daddy Long Legs, Feb 27, 2017
    Rodman23 likes this.