1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Because Harden didn't average a triple double.

It literally is all that matters right now.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I want to see what happens if Westbrook averages 31/11 and 9.8 or 9.9. Pretty sure folks will just round it off to 10 and call it a triple double LOL

Stormy1234 likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Flip it around...Harden's averaging a triple double for a 6-7 seed, Westbrook's averaging a near-triple double for a 3 seed.

What's the popular line?

"Sure, Harden's averaging a triple double, but he's just not winning enough games to truly be the MVP"

BigMaloe, Fyreball, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe we're going to go through this again. Harden will lose because the voters can't ignore a shiny triple-double average. But, how "valuable" are Westbrook's extra rebounds per game if that team finishes 7th? So much for the media narrative about an MVP needing to be on the top 1-3 seeds in a conference.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

Maybe early in the season, but Harden isn't playing particularly well right now. Just like in the movies, strong ending is crucial for the overall success, and Harden's recent performances - including ASG - aren't helping.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

lol, People are putting themselves in knots trying to figure out a narrative that gives the award to Russ.

If Harden didn't have such a lazy-looking efficient game, this wouldn't be a problem; fans/media would like him more. Too many people think he is uninterested. Then when he has a bad game it looks even worse.

That 50-15-15 game not only was the first in history, looked like the easiest in history.

BigMaloe and J Sizzle like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Very true. Harden should dunk and scream and shoot turnaround fadeaways more often. Maybe 4-5 more bricks a game to make it look like he has "less help".

#547 J Sizzle, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget his teammates deliberately getting out of the way on garbage time rebounds so he can pad the stat sheet.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What do you call a good game?

As Rocket fans, we watch the games so we know Harden hasn't had great starts. But we ALL know the rest of the leagues doesn't watch Rockets games as diligently as we do. They box score watch.

Rockets are 6-2 in the month of February and Harden is Averaging 30pts10ast 8rebs

That's not bad at all.

#549 DreamShook, Feb 27, 2017
    BigMaloe, Stormy1234 and J Sizzle like this.
  10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yupp, this is how these people operate.

In other places you can see similar flawgic from the Warriorwagon setting LeBron up now for the same okie doke.

"LeBron got 2 all-stars on his bench for nothing:rolleyes:"

"LeBron's team just added a first and second overall pick for nothing:rolleyes:"

"LeBron has the deepest team in the league now, no excuses!:rolleyes:"

Meanwhile GS has the last two MVPs on their team, 2 other all star starters, and 2 all-stars coming off the bench in David West and Iggy...

If Harden, and similarly LeBron, succeed it will be "well look how stacked their team is compared to Russ/Warriors."o_O

If they fail it will be "[​IMG] Harden should've averaged a triple double like Russ/LeBron should've got more help"

DreamShook and J Sizzle like this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Its not over lol. He wont lose.

Just today stephen a smith was saying hes MVP. He is still at the top of the nba.com MVP ladder and most betting lines still have him as odds on MVP.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This **** is absolutely sickening.

DonKnock and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We are in the age of the upset, the comeback, the impossible. Leicester City, Cavs, Cubs, Patriots, Moonlight, Trump. The MVP could be snatched form Harden at any moment..

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Harden is having a phenomenal year. The best of his career, without question.

But I'd be lying if I thought he was the MVP of the league. Fact is this team is deep with lots of talent, and that Gordon pushed into the starting lineup if he sat out would hurt this team far less than taking Westbrook out of the starting lineup or sitting Lebron James for a game. I'm not saying that's fair, because MVP's are often awarded to the best player on the best team even when they arent the clear best player in the league (Steve Nash comes to mind), but that if Harden didnt win, I would not feel jilted in the slightest and dont think he's as runaway a candidate as some of us otherwise feel.

15. MistaK

MistaK Member

Today's First Take. MVP conversation starts at about the 9:45 min mark

DreamShook likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

All true, just goes against past precedents that have been set, which is what makes it a bad look.

#556 J Sizzle, Feb 27, 2017
    Stormy1234 and DonKnock like this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Max is a babbling idiot. Yeah take away LeBron but they have Kyrie and Love and Thompson

Take away James Harden and you have a lottery team

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, ESPN tried to cut Harden out of the conversation all together. They didn't even put Harden in the damn topic graphic. It was SAS that brought Harden up.. The conversation started with who was MVP, Westbrook or Lebron. wow.

DonKnock and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I agree with your point that it is a close race and anything can happen.

I just see dont see much evidence to assume that harden wont win.

This thread is full of those assumptions.

"Its westbrooks award to lose"

"James harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP voting"

20. bro2044

bro2044 Member

It bums me out that due to style, flash, and story - Westbrook may steal this.

Houston will be fighting for a top spot, has a new coach, lost Dwight, gained EG, Anderson and Lou Will, sure, but Harden's play has been so very, very special. Harden deserves this, and its not like the Rockets are some star-laced team in comparison to the Thunder.

However, Westbrook has the triple-dubs, the dunks and the highlight reels. He is seen more, talked about more, and his team will have to scrape and claw to stay in the playoff race.

I think they both deserve it, I just happen to think Harden deserves it more. Westbrook gets the story tho, especially since Durant left. I wouldnt be surprised if he won, but man it'd be a hard hit to take. I think Westbrook is a wild gunman, and while you might want him with you in a desperate situation because he is crazy and do whatever it takes to win, in the end I would rather take the player that will keep you from being in desperate situations. Harden plays a more efficient game and Houston is 24 games over .500, 1 game under their best record EVER to this point.

Its too bad, we will just have to wait and see.

DonKnock likes this.