1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, I got it.......... My point is that there's nothing "free" about this; you're going to pay, be it assets or cash, to be the team that lands Tony Romo.

Let me ask you a question: how far under the cap are the 49ers?...... Anyone?......... What about the Browns? $69MM and $64MM. Now, MOST of us, rightly, assume that Tony Romo is not going to play in San Francisco or Cleveland this year. But what if one of them offered him a guaranteed 2017 salary of....... $25MM? OK, OK.... again, not likely - so less grandiose - what if they make him an offer of.... $15MM guaranteed in 2017 and set the market for him?......

If I'm the Texans and they want him - really, really want him (and there's not a viable plan B out there) - you're willing to take the chance another team could set his price and/or outbid you so you can hold onto a 5th round pick?..... Again, that I would find foolish.

If the Texans think Tony Romo is "free" - in ANY way, they're morons............

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible that he'd want to seek as much money as possible....but I don't think it's likely. I think he wants a good situation in order to make one last run and the 49ers and Browns can't offer that. Honestly we'd just be doing the Cowboys a favor for giving something up for a guy they are about to cut who wants to sign here.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. IMO he'll have signed with the Texans by this time next week, probably sooner.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good thing we didn't give up a 4th round pick (or higher like some wanted) for him.

Yaosthirdleg and mikol13 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Cowboys clearly leaking that report as damage control. Broncos aren't offering a late round pick, the Cowboys are just trying to bait the Texans into parting with any pick before they release him.

What I read into this: there's good merit to Texans or retirement. There's also good merit to a release coming g after the owners' meeting.

I wonder why it's Texans or retire, though?

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

don't you want to wait till he's signed, sealed and delivered before rubbing it in with hindsight?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the Texans are the only spot where he could go and be a starter and have a solid shot at a deep playoff run. The Broncos are staring over with a rookie coaching staff and most other teams that need a QB are pretty far away from contention.

11. Two Sandwiches

I absolutely agree with you.

Without a doubt, it's the best choice. I guess I just read it as Romo believe no other teams have interest. Maybe it's my naivety being a Houston sports fan.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If you look through Romo's likes on twitter you'll see he liked a tweet saying Herm Edwards thinks he's going to Houston.

Yaosthirdleg and mario_v like this.
  14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Can't Romo just retire and then unretire and sign with the Texans?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, he's under contract. If he retired he'd still be under the same contract when he came back.

16. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I am kind of hoping that Romo is just using the possibility of retirement and joining a television network as leverage to deter certain teams for trading for him. He wants them to think he would simply retire if he is traded to a team he doesnt choose.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Two Sandwiches

If Jerry Jones, master architect of "America's Team", is worried about a 37 year old, half broke quarterback stealing the market share from his team, he needs to retire from football because he's going senile.

I love the Texans, but even if Romo comes here and wins a Super Bowl, we're not taking a huge market share from the Cowboys. Especially with Dak and Elliott.

I'm not buying this.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What makes less sense is that the Cowboys person was responding to a Denver person saying "Tony's wife wants him in Houston. Jerry wants him in Denver, Tony wants Denver & Elwaywants Denver"

That makes no sense at all, why would Tony want Denver? Going to a team that is the 3rd best in their division with an all new coaching staff and some O line questions isn't exactly what I would think Romo would want....and goes against logic.

Yaosthirdleg and zeeshan2 like this.
  20. Marteen

Marteen Member

Last few times I got excited about a free agent, it was for Dwight Howard, Doug Fister, and Brock Osweiler, and the teams ended up being better off without them. Maybe it's a good thing I'm not that excited about them possibly adding Romo, 'cuz that injury history scares me.