1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is SA the only west playoff team that we match up well against?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justbuckets, Mar 13, 2014.

1. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

All in the title. Is it just me or does it seems like we really can't get stops when we need them against just about any other west team?

How come?

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

No, we can definitely whup POR's butt too, and I'd feel good about our chances against GSW, PHX (should they make it), on paper Mavs (but you know DAL always screws us somehow...), prob not MEM but I'm still hopeful PHX or someone kicks MEM back down. Along with SAS, that's like half the WC playoff teams I'd feel pretty good playing against.

If we end up 4th seed against POR at 5th seed, and then hit up SAS in the second round, I'd say we have a great shot at meeting OKC in the WC haha. That'll be a tough win but not impossible.

3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I'd feel confident facing San Antonio along with Portland, Golden State, and Phoenix.
    Memphis & Dallas I'm 60/40 on. We'd most likely win...

Let's save OKC or LAC for the WCF.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

We haven't played SA in playoffs yet, nets 3-0 vs heat, doubt that happens in playoffs. Can't wait to see this team in playoffs no matter who they play

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Warriors. Blazers. Suns... Grizzlies are tough and so is Dallas but I think the team is much improved since the last time we played them.

6. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I feel pretty good about POR

7. smr6

smr6 Member

Spurs I'm sure will be better in the playoffs. Still, the only two teams I would absolutely not want to play prior to the WCF are the Thunder and Clippers. If they stay at 2 and 3 in the standings and we stay at 4 then that would come true.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Portland, Golden State and Phoenix are road kill for us.

Dallas has Dirk, and Memphis plays a rough style, but we would beat them also, albeit in a tougher series

9. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

This is exactly how I feel.

10. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Do u think the Rockets can easily defeat SA in the playoff?
    U don't understand NBA completely!
    Playoff is different game!

11. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Portland maybe the Warriors. Even if the Rockets matchup against the Spurs well they are still an elite team so its not ideal to face them early.

Portland
    Warriors
    Spurs

Not including the 7th and 8th seed.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I understand why most folks don't want to face OKC or the Clippers in playoffs, but I wonder if the fear is a tad bit unwarranted.

Last year we were 1-2 against OKC, and only escaped the sweep because Harden and Lin finished the game absolutely on fire. In other words, it could have easily been 0-3. Yet, we still played a very competitive series against them in the playoffs. Beyond that, we were able to overcome losing our starting PG and McHale was able to throw some atypical lineups to keep us competitive.

From what I've seen, we've played on both ends of the spectrum against OKC and the Clippers; however we are 0-6. The playoffs are a different animal and we can do a much better job of adjusting and gameplanning due to seeing the same opponent so many times.

Bottom line, we may not be favored against OKC/LAC, but we can sure as hell play a competitive series against them. Give us HCA, and it's anybody's series.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rockets might have gotten swept if Beverley didn't take out Westbrook in that series.

14. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Not being a homer, but I feel we can beat anybody to be completely honest.
    Yes we struggle against certain teams, but at the end of the day it's a 7 game series and it's anybody's series to take.
    Of course I would love to face a team we have dominated and avoid LAC and OKC, but those are the teams you have to beat to get to the next level.
    If we play hard all 48 minutes, and leave it all on the floor, then there is no reason we can't beat everyone in a 7 game series.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Okay, but then why do so many people discount the fact that Lin, our 2nd best scoring option, barely played non-injury minutes? Losing Westbrook hurt them a lot, but losing Lin and having to go with (relatively) unproven backup in Beverley was huge as well

16. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Totally agree! The Spurs were coasting in the 1st half of the season and now they're healthy during this stretch going into the playoffs, hmmmm I don't want to see them in the postseason. Regular season is TOTALLY different than Postseason basketball. They're team is built for playoff basketball. I think they're the best Half court basketball executing team in the NBA. Our style of play of shooting a million 3's and ISO play will not get us far in the playoffs. McHale is not the right coach to get us to the next level, which is a championship!!!

17. noone

noone Rookie

Outside the Blazers the Rockets will struggle in the playoffs.

18. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

False, we match up well against the Spurs Blazers Warriors...and if the playoffs started today we would be playing the Blazers in the first round and winner of Dallas and SA. I like that positioning, as long as we can avoid OKC till the 3rd round

19. SexyButIgnorant

I'd be extremely confident facing the Warriors, the Spurs, the Blazers, the Suns, and the Mavs. Everyone else would be extremely even.

20. noone

noone Rookie

I see moreyball getting exposed in the playoffs. He's already trying to make McHale the fall guy.