1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible for the Rockets to do a sign and trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Sep 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Is a sign in trade for Rashard Lewis impossible?

It is my understanding that if a team is over the cap uses its Bird rights to resign a free agent at more than 20% of his previous salary then he becomes a BYC player. The team trading the BYC player can only except 115% plus 100,000 dollars of half of the players existing contract but the receiving team must make enough cap space to accommodate the entire Salary. The Rockets could not possibly make enough room under their cap unless a third team that is currently under the cap gets involved with the trade. According to real gm no team in the NBA is currently under the salary cap therefor the trade can not possibly be done.

Do I understand this wrong? If not then any talk of doing a sign and trade for Rashard is a waste of time.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

crash5179 -

I am surprised no resident capologists have answered you yet.

Though not a capologist, your assumption about the BYC situation seems right to me. However, I was under the impression that during the summer the Wiz, Bulls and Clipps all had cap room. RealGM is usually reliable, but it is hard for me to imagine that the Clipps are over the cap.

My estimate of the Clipps payroll was about $31m before the Miller trade and that includes $4m for Derek Strong (their Matt Maloney). Perhaps there is a technicality regarding how Kandi hits the cap until he is re-signed?

Also, did the Rocks waive Walt Williams? If not and the Sonics would take Walt for one year at the same price as Rashard then they would both be BYC. Walt @ 1 year for $7m and a future first for Rashard?

OK, back to reality...I personally think that both the Sonics and Rashard and his agent are putting on a dog and pony show for each others benefit. I look for Lewis to re-sign with Seattle. But I've been wrong before! ;)

3. Stevie Francis

man i don't know whats gonna happen. I say he will sign in houston!

4. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Even wanting Lewis is a waste of time. Why would you want someone that would totally mess up the Rockets Pay Scale.

:D :D :D :D :D

5. crash5179

Gator,
    According to realgm the cap this coming year is $40,271,000. LAL is in the best shape but they are still over by about 9 mil and they are currently the only team that will be under next year by about 7 mil. All other teams appear to be at least 11 mil over the limit.

To All Others,
    Please limit your Rashard is good or bad for Houston to one of the other Rashard Lewis threads. This is strictly about the Cap and if Houston can do a sign and trade at all this year. Rashard just happens to be the only guy that I am aware of that Rudy and CD inquired about for a sign and trade.

I should have just titled the thread, "Is it possible for Houston to do a sign and trade this year?" If Clutch, DoD or someone else from the clutch crew can change the title that would be great.

6. crash5179

It is my understanding that the receiving team has to account for 100% of the players contract even if you are trading two BYC players. In other words if you have two teams trading BYC players making 5 mil then the both receiving teams give up 2.5 mil in the cap and receive 5 mil making a deal almost impossible with out a third team to suck up the extra salary.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

It's possible to do a sign and trade between two teams, but it would all be based on the premise that the player to be signed and traded doesn't get that big of a raise. I calculated it, and the raise can be no greater than 1.37 times of what the player is currently making. If it's any greater than that, I believe it would have to be a three team trade. So, technically Lewis could sign for $6 million/year for a two-team trade to work. Second, the Rockets would have to have somebody on their team who was making around 5 million or so per year. Unfortunately, Walt was the only player who made that much. If Mo Taylor just made about 1.5 million less per year, we could have traded him...assuming Lewis would have agreed to the meager ( :rolleyes: ) $6 million/year contract. So, the only way I could see it happening is if the Rockets did a double sign-and-trade with Walt and Lewis.

Rockets could resign Walt for about $5,175,381.

Sonics could resign Lewis for about $6,051,688.

I think that would work under the CBA, but why in the world either party would agree to that I do not know. Since the Sonics have shown interest in Walt, it might have been a possibility if we had Walt signed for another year and Lewis was willing to take a paycut to play at home. And like someone already mentioned, I may even throw in a draft pick to sweeten the deal. After all, I don't think the Rockets expect to get a very low seeding the next couple of years. I mean, how many lottery picks of the past five years have had the same success as Rashard? Much less mid-first rounders.

#7 DCkid, Sep 17, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  8. Possum

Possum Member

This was part of a story on http://www.dallasbasketball.com/headline_A.asp?pr=. Now there are discussions focusing on a three-way, with Seattle settling for landing a fat-contracted player in the final year of his deal who might next season create a cap vacancy of $6.5 mil or so.

If this is true it shouldn't be too hard to land Rashard if he really wants to come here.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

crash -
    IMHO, the $9m over the cap RealGM has for the Clipps is overstated. They are using all resticted and unrenounced FA's at 150% or 200% until re-signed or renounced.

For example, I believe that their methodology is taking Kandi's $6m and Piatkowski's $3m (last years salaries) and using a multiplier of 1.5 or 2.0. This is why you see the -$7m in the column labeled "02/03 capspace Max".

My belief is that the Clipps being over the cap is a technicality until they re-sign or renounce all of their FA's - Kandi, Piatkowski, Ekezie, Fowlkes, Overton, etc.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Landing Rashard is possible but tough. Is he worth the trouble?

The BYC makes a trade for Rashard a pain. Maybe if we offered a 2nd-rounder for Miami's $3.5 mil trade exception? Can that be done? (Probably not, but if you don't ask...)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wrong Forum

:)

He is not, nor ever will be a Rocket.

DD

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Please Dallas or Seattle, sign the guy already!

13. crash5179

RocksMillenium and DaDakota,

My question has less to do with Rashard and more to do with Rockets ability to do a sign and trade with anyone. Feel free to take Rashards name out and replace it with anyone. The question should read, "Is it possible for the Rockets to do a sign and trade?" Don’t get hung up on Rashard, if I could edit the title I would.

14. crash5179

That makes since because I thought that both the Clipps and Bulls were both under the cap.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If Rashard was signed to a 7-year, 70 million deal, his first year salary would be $7.3 million. As such, the Rockets would have to send out between $6.2 million and $8.5 million in salaries to two teams to receive him in a sign and trade (15% difference, plus $100K). Rashard's base year figure would be the greater of either his salary last year, or half of his new salary. The greater number would be $4.4 million, his salary last year. As such, the Sonics could receive between $3.7 million and $5.2 million in salaries in return (15% give or take of $4.4 million, plus $100K).

This means a third team would have to receive the difference, an amount between $1 million and $3.7 million. The only team I have heard that could be under the cap is the Clippers, and they already have too many players and too cheap an owner. Others have referred to Miami having a $3.5 million trade exception, but I thought Miami had luxury tax issues. (Although Miami is asking for a disabled player exception for Mourning, so perhaps they are in the market to take salary). Nonetheless, with Mourning out, maybe Miami would take a Kenny Thomas at $1.5 million to do the deal, and move Grant to the center position. Keep in mind, you would have to send Miami an underpaid player, or a draft pick, to get them to take on more salary.

Here are the candidates to send to Seattle:

1. Glen Rice - $9 million (good luck)
    2. MoT - $7.3 million (too much salary under this deal - Sonics would have to send us another player, or a player to Miami)
    3. Cato - $6.7 million (ditto)
    4. Walt - what ever Sonics would agree to pay on a sign and trade (keep in mind that all S & Ts have to be at least 3-year deals)
    5. Collier - $1.4 million
    6. TMo - $.5 million

Okay you RealGMers, make your own trade!

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Pretty much next to impossible, but don't tell that to anyone on this board.

:p

17. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Really, it's not impossible, but it is implausible.

18. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I think Rashard is holding out because he wants to be on a contender. It has to hurt a young player to watch Dallas, LA and Sacramento in the playoffs from home. Payton is next to gone in Seattle and the rest of their team sucks. That is why he doesn't want to sign there, he'll never get to that post season action he craves.

He is probably gun shy of us. We will have too many big salaries to sign here without the big pockets of Cuban. If that is what he wants, to be on a true contender, he would be smart to sign short term with Dallas.

If he was really going to sign with Seattle, it would be done. The only hold up could be some kind of trade in the making. Maybe Payton is involved in a sign and trade with him too (Tinsley-Croshere-BMiller)?

19. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

I will say it again and again and again and again and every time Lewis comes up in a thread to get him as a Rock...:cool:

...:mad: WE DONT NEED LEWIS :mad:

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Actually, CoPilot, I agree...

It wouldn't hurt at MCE, but I don't think it is going to add a whole lot. Too many "stars" can be a problem too. A really good "role player" like Boki (in a Mario Elie kind of way) might be best.