1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it just me? I see Jeremy Lin making progress here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

probably the smartest thing said on this board about lin in about a month.

2. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Actually, what he needs is to handle the ball more. His usage of the ball is 47/50 out of PGs in the NBA this season.

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Your right that's the same thing I saw, he didn't have any confidence at all in that shot.
    That being said I can see his play improving a lot once he gets used to his new team and regains his confidence.

4. split41

split41 Member

I think this will be the case. The coaching staff have obviously put a lot of faith in Harden to carry the team, so I think Lin will only have 1 or maybe 2 seasons here if he can't adapt.

I think it's on the coaches to change the offensive roles of our players. Our defence is looking pretty good, but not many players are being played to their strengths in offense.

5. Exel

Exel Member

Lin's New York streak was his ceiling, and what we're seeing is his floor. Sure the shot isn't falling, but the touch is there. Just look at his awesome free throw percentage. It's only a matter of time.

Other than that, he's playing solid defense, rebounding and making great plays. These are skills that are hard to teach and more about a player's natural ability.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Not from the perimeter though. Run screens/picks so he can get free & attack the basket. No more 3 point shooting from the corner. I may have to shoot myself if I have to see him chilling in the corner.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin needs a mid-range game badly. He either barrels in 100% looking to throw up a contested layup, or he shoots the three. What Lin needs to do is shoot a jumper immediately off the pick and roll. If he develops that then it'll free up the rest of his game.

8. mirus

mirus Member

he has a mid range last year.I'm not sure why he didnt use it.in fact he's more comfortable with mid range than 3s.Prob coaching staff think it isnt efficient shot:confused:

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lin's confidence may be shot right now. That's the only reason he might not be shooting those mid-range jumpers.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I see a lot of things in his game that I like. It just doesn't look like the Rockets know how to play with each other at times. I thought the offense looked good during much of the preseason, but when we added Harden everything got out of sync. I think as the season goes on our players will learn to play with each other and everyone's performance will improve.

11. Jack0153

Jack0153 Member

I totally agree. I mean people expected too much from him when he was starting his first for the Pre season or regular season. Jeremy is still young and has awhile till he will reach that top level. He has been in this league for two years now so don't expect that he can just score when he wants to. He is progressing with his skills and soon enough he will be the Jeremy Lin you guys want him to be. Just be patient. Don't rush things so much.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

He had a really good midrange game last year. He just isn't using it because he is chilling at the corner 3. League average last year from 3-9ft was 36.8%, from 10-15ft was 36.6%, from 16-23ft was 38.5%. Lin's numbers in NY were from 3-9ft was 41.4%, from 10-15ft was 48.3% and from 16-23ft was 43.0%. So essentially, his numbers were better than league average.

Until he gets more touches & is used more we will never see it. -_-

13. mirus

mirus Member

What i meant is even this season,he treaded into the two point area to make a shot.his confidence is shot at 3 not two(i hate this habit of his)

14. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

i agree lin needs to be facilitating the plays more...that's his game. he's not a shooter and so he needs to start off plays more often because it'll be that much harder to guard harden when he's slashing all over the place.

15. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Have you seen Cole's FT? lol...

16. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I'm loving how civilized this thread is. Great contribution from the" vets" and the "newbies". no name callings, no hatred, no bashing, no character smearing, just reasoning.

Let's have a group hug :)

17. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

It's just you.

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Didn't watch too much of Lin besides highlights but I agree, I didn't hear a lot of him being a defender last season but he has been pretty good so far. As I and others have said over countless threads however, the main problem seems to stem from the coaching and their usage of him and Harden.

I have grown to like some of his skills and think he would be great as a PG for this team. But we need our coaches to actually use him in a way that benefits both himself and the team.

19. Postcall

Postcall Member

Only this coaching staff can take a good PG and make him a mediocre shooting guard and a great SG and make him a good point guard. WTH is this a big FU to ownership or what? Is Harden the new Dragic?

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

He's also not making them when he shoots it. That probably doesn't help either.