1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Dwight Howard the most overrated Center in NBA history?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DudeWah, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It kind of amazes me how people think Dwight Howard is such a good player. Especially on a Rockets' board where posters should have seen Dwight get manhandled by a real center (Yao) time and time again.

Dwight is defensively sound. I wont even argue this fact. But, he lacks any sort of offensive game. His failure to develop a go to move in the post is mind blowing as far as I am concerned. All great centers have had a great go to move.

Hakeem had the dreak shake
    Kareem had the skyhook
    Shaq had the dunk on everyone

Hell, even Yao had the hook shot..
    <br>
    And yet people still consider him the best center of the last decade. What a joke. That's a complete disservice to Yao.
    <br>
    When you think of all the great Centers in NBA history, Dwight has no place on the list.

Hakeem
    Kareem
    Bill Russell
    Sabonis
    Shaq
    David Robinson
    Ewing
    Wilt
    Moses
    Bill Walton
    <br>
    I don't even think Dwight is the best center in the NBA today. I would argue that Bynum if healthy would be. Other than Bynum, Marc Gasol is right there on Dwight's level as well. And I would take him over Dwight because I feel that he brings more to the table.
    <br>
    Anyways, I think Dwight's hype is more of a testament to how weak the current generation of centers is than how good Dwight actually is.

2. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

People will always say that he was the best center of a generation and that you can't compare eras. :rolleyes:

And he's a must take in fantasy leagues and a beast in NBA2k13

4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

This. It's always easy to be the best when there is no competition.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Generation? Post Yao?

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Overrated in terms of all time? sure. Overrated in terms of now? Name a better center in the league. The NBA is a marketplace and centers are in short supply so the assets will be valued more than they would say ten years ago.

7. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

He's overrated compared to other all time centers...He's def. the best in this current NBA with garbage Centers. Same thing with Yao, except it could be argued he would be even better in the 90's.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why is he overrated? Nobody on the planet's saying DH's one of the greatest ever, in fact everyone who has an opinion on the matter's already said that DH couldn't hold a candle on the Cs of old like Shaq, Hakeem, Jabbar. Hell even 2nd tier guys like the Ewing and Robinson would have destroyed DH.

So no, DH isn't overrated. He's perfectly rated, he's the best center of this generation. And no, Yao isn't better than him. Sure Yao manhandled him before, but that's only because Yao was in his prime and DH was like 21. More importantly, Yao Ming was always injured, so if you're gonna say he's better than DH you have to add a qualifier like "if healthy". That's like saying Oden was the 3rd best center if healthy, or Tmac was better than Kobe if healthy and not quitting. On the other hand, Dwight needs no such qualifier. So he's still better, and I doubt you'll find a non-Rox fan say otherwise.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If Bynum was healthy? That's like saying Dream would be the best center now if he hadn't grown old.

You have to remember the center spot was crap for a long time. Recently, it's improving again, but that's why DH was valued highly. Supply and demand. I'm not sure who you have been talking to, but most people wouldn't put DH near the top of the all-time center list. Also, i think perception is changing over the last 2 yrs or so. Back when Yao was going agains Dwight, it seemed like DH was on his way to becoming a better scorer. There was still realistic potential there. Not the case anymore. It's still possible, but if time and Dream's tutoring haven't really changed much, then what will?

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    It's not even the now though. Between the 06-10 years people were still calling Dwight the best center in the league. During this period, Yao way wayyyy better. And a pre-injury Al Jefferson was beginning a reign of domination.

On a related note, I think if Al Jefferson did not have that ACL injury he would be the best center in the NBA today. Well, Bynum might still get my nod, but they would be 1a and 1b.
    <br>
    As for now, yeah I agree. But I still think Howard is completely overrated. It's just that there are not that many good centers period.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

IF Yao stayed healthy, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. However, I do agree with you that he is vastly overrated. Sure he will block shots into the stands (Hakeem would keep then in bounds) and grab a ton of rebounds. But you are right, he has absolutely no offense and that will be their ultimate failure.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Those two statements are nothing alike.

Last year Bynum played an entire season and averaged something like 19 and 11 while having a break out season. He probably would have continued his rise to the top this year if not for injury. The jury is still out as long as he comes back strong next year.

He's also two years younger than Dwight. He's taller and bigger than Dwight. And can be the difference maker on offense that Dwight could never be.

13. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

For how athletic Dwight is, he looks so uncoordinated when he tries to do some offensive post move.

Compared to 90's ball. I'd take the obvious Dream, Admiral, Ewing, Shaq over him. But, i'd also take Mutumbo, Zo, Smits over Dwight. I'd think hard though before choosing Vlade or Sabonis over Dwight. If it was young Sabonis, easy, but Sabonis was old when he got to the NBA.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

No, nobody says he's an all time great. He's certainly the best out there right now, and a player I'd love to have in Houston.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Um no.

Was Dwight 21 in 2009? I don't think so. Yao only entered the league 3 years before Dwight did. True dominant centers could hold their own regardless of anything.

Evidence:

Yao's performances versus Shaq his rookie year.
    Ralph Sampson's first three years in the league
    Shaq's rookie season

<br>
    Anyways, aside from those who are blinded by the hype, Yao was the best center of the 2000's decade.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I would also take healthy Yao and give that another chance to see if he could stay healthy if you could go back in time b4 choosing Dwight. Might even choose Big Ben over Dwight.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Howard is a black player from USA, that makes different. Also he was playing in the East for many years, and there were not any good centers in the East, so his number was good. USA sport media prefer to like a player like Howard. In ESPN, have you seen Bill Simmons constantly said Yao was overrated before? Right now he keeps saying Lin is terrible in TV every time when he opens his mouth, but he would never say Howard is overrated, and some ppl just buy it. I am just so glad that this dude refused to come to Houston, then this team could never be good.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Considering his current status and history, Bynum is done as an all-star center. Not even worth talking about IMO.

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Oden is the most overrated of all time.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You could very well be right. I just wanna give it a little more time before completely considering him done.