1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is David Carr really that good?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by haven, Jan 25, 2002.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Joel Buschbaum is actually my godfather, I take offense to that.
    :D

But come on now, give Mel some credit. He seems to do his homework. McKinnie looks awesome, but Mike only allowed one sack himself.

You're not saying that Mel is on tv becuz of his looks are you? The guy isn't exactly Tom Cruise. I think he's weird looking.

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Dog gone-it boy!:mad:
    Do ya read your own threads?!:mad:
    where ya been?! that PW doesn't work!
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28119

Sorry guys yes off subject I know, but there is no way of getting in touch with this guy.:)

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Kiper is where Julie Roberts and Sally Field got the idea for "helmet-head hair" in Steel Magnolias.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

excuse my naivety: seriously?

well, hopefully, thru all this, it's remained clear i consider mckinnie a top-flight prospect; i just don't think he's head-and-tails better than the other T's in the draft.

he has personalty, enthusiasm; he's controversial and opinionated. he livens up what is really a dreary television experience.

i like mel, but i find it hard to believe he's hitting the pavement, watching guys on a weekly basis. i think he has a network of contacts and scouts that funnel him information. i like him, he's entertaining, but i don't know if he's the authoratative draftpert.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'll agree with you here. I used Mel's analysis for my rookie card set last year, and I don't think he did so hot (hence, making me look bad). This year, I'm relying on a more well-rounded analysis of potential draftees taken from various sites.

I agree with you here. However, I don't think David Carr is heads and tails better than the other QBs in the draft. I think McKinnie is more of a sure thing than Carr is. (Yes, that statement might come back and bite me in the ass later...) Regardless of who we might pick up in the expansion draft, we should take McKinnie. All the supposedly-good OLs are old or getting there, and we could use a young'un to learn from them (and eventually replace them).

Matthews = 41 years old
    Roaf = 32
    Boselli = 30
    Ryan Young = 26

Logic would dictate that the Texans are gearing to take a QB in the draft, though. McNair will try to sell Houston's casual football fans with a high profile name. That much is assured. However, I found this interesting quote from ESPN that seems to confirm my suspicions as well:

Hmmmm. So, they take a bunch of old, experienced OL guys in the expansion draft, with no regard to salary or age (effectively killing cap room). Why? Could it be that they'll be called upon to protect a rookie QB acquired in this year's draft? It seems to fit, IMO. If they really wanted McKinnie (i.e. go young), the O-line wouldn't necessarily be such a big priority for the Texans in the expansion draft. They would be better served if they just took Boselli and saved some cash (for FAs). However, they want "a number of proven veterans." This leads me to believe that they'll draft a QB who will have ample time to develop along with ample playing time. With an expensive, proven O-Line, a rookie QB won't have to scramble for his life all the time (a definite advantage). By the time this QB has developed into a worthwhile player (or, hopefully, superstar), the old O-line will be ready to retire (or replaced with younger guys). Short-term loss (of cap room) for long-term gain.

Unless you really, really think they'll kill their cap room now and tomorrow to give Trent Dilfer more time to throw in the pocket...

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

there are 3 or 4 solid OL available in the expansion draft, all under 28 years of age, all making less than $1M/year, in addition to boselli, who's actually just 29 in april -- i'm not sure "old" is the direction they'll go.

sure, boselli's expensive, but mckinnie wouldn't be appreciably cheaper if we took him first overall, instead. and let's face it: boselli's actually earned his money.