1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interview with NFL mega-bust Charles Rogers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by baller4life315, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

Seriously. I get pissed off when I see Matt Millen on some of the NFL shows. Why should ANYBODY care what he says? I mean, as far as I am concerned, I could have been the GM of the Lions and not done worse than Matt Millen. He just made so many dumb DUMB decisions.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I have no reason to wish failure on some guy making a comeback attempt.

But your BS detector is broken if it didn't go off while watching this.

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Sing it, everybody! "I'm Charles Rogers. I had 68 catches and 13 touchdowns. I'm Charles Rogers..."

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

That was the part that got me. 7 kids from 5 different women!!! :eek:

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

wow...some people just fock up...

7. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

For those who have seen the Houston MVP thread and Ric's discussion of Andre Johnson not being a Game Breaker because of a lack of TDs. I wonder if he things Rogers is a game breaker with that TD to reception ratio.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well so much for this interview.

NOVI, Mich. -- Former Detroit Lions wide receiver Charles Rogers has been arrested on a drunken-driving charge.

The 28-year-old Rogers was arrested Wednesday afternoon after he refused a Breathalyzer test, police said. Results of a blood test are pending.

Rogers was arraigned Thursday on charges of operating while intoxicated and operating without a valid license. He was ordered held on $50,000 bond and didn't have an attorney on record with the court. A pretrial conference is set for Monday.

Both charges are misdemeanors and each carry a penalty of up to 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

The second overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft served a 30-day jail sentence, with credit for 15 days, earlier this year instead of staying in an intensive counseling program after violating probation in a domestic violence case.

Rogers was found "non-responsive behind the wheel" of a 2003 Mercedes on Wednesday afternoon, authorities said. The car was running and the vehicle was still in gear in a left-turn lane, authorities said.

According to a police report, Rogers did not respond to requests to open the vehicle's locked doors, resulting in fire officials gaining entry through the sunroof to secure the vehicle.

Rogers has struggled with sobriety in recent years. In an interview with ESPN's "Outside The Lines" this summer, he spoke of getting clean and turning his life around.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4481072

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Unbelievable. And not that DUI's are an uncommon thing, but part of what he was implying in this golden interview with Jemele Hill was that he understood the importance of improving his decision making. Clearly, he's not grasping that concept.

No GM will ever trust this guy. You can only blow (no pun intended, for those that saw the interview) so many opportunities before you just give up on somebody.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If he had a chance in returning to the NFL, it's gone now. Nothing else to say but "What a dumba**."

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How much do NFL First round picks usually get payed?

How long can this guy live off that first check?

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

His rookie contract was 6 yrs/$55 million, with $14 million guaranteed. However, earlier this month, the Lions filed suit against Rogers for breach of contract and the $6.1 million he was paid.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/09/lions_sue_exreceiver_charles_r.html

1 person likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! Holy crap!

I am done feeling sorry for this guy. Lol.

Not like NBA rookie contracts huh?

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Rogers sent to jail after passing out

NOVI, Mich. -- Former Lions and Michigan State receiver Charles Rogers has been sentenced to 93 days in jail for contempt of court after apparently drinking too much and passing out at a Mexican restaurant.

Novi (Mich.) District Court Judge Robert Bondy on Wednesday ordered Rogers to serve 93 days in Oakland County Jail, with credit for 17 days served.

Novi Deputy Police Chief Tom Lindberg said officers arrested Rogers on Tuesday at an On the Border restaurant on a warrant for disobeying a sobriety court order. The order was imposed after Rogers pleaded guilty in September to impaired driving.

Lindberg says Rogers was visibly intoxicated Tuesday and was taken to a hospital. He spent the night in custody, and district Judge Robert Bondy sentenced him Wednesday.

Messages were left with Rogers' lawyer, Justin Barnett.

Rogers, 28, the No. 2 NFL draft pick in 2003, pleaded guilty in September to impaired driving and re-entered a sobriety court program, which involves intensive counseling and testing.

A police source said Rogers was taken into custody at about 3:15 p.m. ET Tuesday after employees were unable to rouse him and feared he may have had a heart attack, The Detroit News reported.

"He was showing signs of intoxication and was uncooperative, and at that point our officers determined that he had a warrant out for his arrest," Lindberg said Wednesday, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Rogers pleaded guilty in September to charges stemming from an incident in which he was found "non-responsive behind the wheel" of a vehicle that was still running, in gear and in a left-turn lane, authorities said.

Earlier in 2008 he had served a 30-day jail sentence, with credit for 15 days, instead of staying in an intensive counseling program after violating probation in a domestic violence case.

Rogers was suspended by the Lions for substance abuse in 2005 and released the next year. The team says he must repay two-thirds of a $9.1 million bonus.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4800941

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

^^lol

I wish someone took a picture of him passed out in the restaurant.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

lol...that dude is TRASH.....what a waste of O2.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

god bless you andre johnson

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

What a waste. Just sickens me.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx6u5DhuGxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx6u5DhuGxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'll admit it. I really wished that Charles Rogers would have fallen to the Texans during the draft. When he came out he had it all size, speed, and way better hands and route running then AJ. He just didn't have it upstairs. I'm really glad we got AJ now.

Too bad this guy can't get it together.

#60 The Real Shady, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010