1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interview with NFL mega-bust Charles Rogers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by baller4life315, Aug 20, 2009.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So?

What were the Texans supposed to do in 2006? What good would it have done to cut Carr that year, and play some scrub or other rookie, and then get Schaub a year later and let him start? What possible good would that have done?

You also forget that was Kubiak's first year, David wasn't going to get canned until the new coaches got a chance to work with him. There was no other possible way for the Texans to handle that.

Besides, how does drafting one guy vs. another equate to this scenario? You need to rethink your logic.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Millen sucked, no doubt. Just saying I can understand his line of thinking when he took CR. If memory serves me correctly he didn't have any character issues in college. Plus, CR was better than AJ in college. You're using the same type of hindsight logic that i'm talking about. AJ wasn't a "rock solid pro-bowler" at the time of the draft. Sure, he's absolutely unreal right now and the tables have completely turned in this one-on-one discussion, but that still doesn't change the fact that CR was a sexy pick at the time.

Joey Harrington, on the other hand, never impressed me in college and I kind of had that "bust feeling" when I heard all the hype leading up to the draft. I never would have touched him. Same with Mike Williams. Cocky USC fans used to try to argue that Williams was better than Larry Fitzgerald, which was absolutely comical to people like me that actually watched Fitz play and knew how untouchable he was. Wouldn't have touched Williams either. All the same, I still can't say that I wouldn't have strongly considered CR in the 2003 Draft, the same way Millen did.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Charlie was dominant in college! Loved to watch him play. He was Fitzgerald level good in the NCAA. They should make the youngsters watch this interview, but they should also make an interview with Mike Williams so the rookies know the NFL can screw you over too. It was a joke they didn't let him return to the NCAA or at least play pro ball.

4. conquistador#11

There is always MMA fighting to turn to like michael westbrook....

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess my point is it doesn't matter how professional you look, but what you do on the field. The draft is a crapshot.

Randy Moss has gotten into plenty of trouble, but no one seems to mind since he produces.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

FALSE. The Texans, from day one, have always said they would pass on Rogers if Johnson was taken by the Lions. Character is one of the most important traits the Texans look for in their players, and Rogers had character issues ever since his days at MSU.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

LOL....c'mon Ziggy, how are you gonna say CR was on Fitzgerald's level right in front of me? Fitzgerald was Heisman good. CR was Biletnikoff good. Statistics aside (which strongly favor Fitz), I can't process that statement. :p

Agreed on Mike Williams, though. That was an odd situation, to say the very least.

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

That interview was painful for me to watch. I know that I'm so far removed from the situations that things can easily turn out opposite of how I predict...BUT...

Watching Vick's interviews, I get the impression that he is completely remorseful, saying the right things, and honestly believing the things he's saying.

On the other hand, this guy still seems completely lost/delusional. He couldn't look the interviewer in the eye, always hesitated before giving the "right" answer, and would often put a qualifier on everything he said (Admitting to being an addict if that's what I need to do to get back into the NFL...).

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I watched Fitz put together an all-out highlight reel at Kyle Field (3TDs), and then he stole Andre Johnson's thunder. You think I could have a bias? I don't. :D

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That was a freaking treasure trove of unintentional comic relief.

I loved the momentary pause before he responded "regularly" to the interviewer's question regarding the frequency of his mar1juana usage.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Not really a good day for Michigan State Wide Receivers who were the top Wideouts taken in the draft.

edit - I just remembered Peter Warrick went ahead of Plax.

Yuck.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I have to agree. I think Rogers was the right pick, and unlike Vince Young, there weren't questions about his ability to adjust to pro-football. Do people remember AJ dropped passes before he got contacts?

Mike Williams and Harrington were terrible picks. They also did a terrible job drafting players in later rounds that really fill out the team.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Joey Harrington was Joe Montana compared to Akili Smith.

That guy was so awful it wasn't even funny.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Needing more cash to finance his EXISTING addiction, taking care of his 7 children, plenty incentive for Charles Rogers to come back. Hopefully he's working out hard e'ry day on the comeback game.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I love the smirk after every drug related question -- the guy does not get it at all.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Totally agreed. Doesn't seem like he learned from his mistakes to me.

Probly just his last hurrah before he falls into oblivion.

But at least he imagined some sort of reason for him not to be a drugged out whacko for the moment.

It's a shame too, because like someone else mentioned in the thread, he had Moss-like talent.

17. Poloshirtbandit

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That was sad. I didn't get a good feeling from that video. Hope I'm wrong.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I remember hoping before that draft that the Lions would somehow pass on Rogers so that we could get him. Kinda like I wanted the Texans to take Bush. Glad that didn't happen! :)

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree. The interview was hilarious in so many ways.

I thought the funniest part was when he talked about using weed to kick start his day at 1PM.