1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Insider] NBA Mock Draft 1.0 - ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chapinha_br, Mar 21, 2012.

1. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

Mock Draft

Any insider care to post the Rox analysis and prospects?

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Posting this just admits that I waste (not much) $$ on this stuff, but I'm a junkie, so:

Houston (via Knicks)

John Henson
    Position: PF
    Height: 6-foot-10
    Weight: 210 pounds
    School: North Carolina

Analysis: The Rockets lack long, athletic bigs, and Henson would give them a defensive presence who can guard both forward positions. He's still raw offensively, but he has a little Andrei Kirilenko in his game.

Houston (via Mavericks)

Austin Rivers
    Position: SG
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 199 pounds
    School: Duke

Analysis: The Mavericks sent this pick to the Lakers as part of the Lamar Odom trade and then the Lakers turned around and sent it to the Rockets as part of the Derek Fisher deal. The pick is top-20 protected.

There are a lot of opinions floating out there about Rivers. Many scouts have been disappointed with his play and think he needs to return to Duke for his sophomore season. But a handful think he has the potential to be special thanks to his quick crossover, high basketball IQ and killer mentality on the court. At pick No. 21, the upside-to-risk ratio strongly favors the Rockets, who really need to build around some star power.

3 people like this.
  3. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Mock Draft, Version 1.0

#15 Houston (via Knicks)

John Henson

Position: PF
    Height: 6-foot-10
    Weight: 210 pounds
    School: North Carolina

Analysis: The Rockets lack long, athletic bigs, and Henson would give them a defensive presence who can guard both forward positions. He's still raw offensively, but he has a little Andrei Kirilenko in his game.

#21 Houston (via Mavericks)

Austin Rivers

Position: SG
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 199 pounds
    School: Duke

Analysis: The Mavericks sent this pick to the Lakers as part of the Lamar Odom trade and then the Lakers turned around and sent it to the Rockets as part of the Derek Fisher deal. The pick is top-20 protected.

There are a lot of opinions floating out there about Rivers. Many scouts have been disappointed with his play and think he needs to return to Duke for his sophomore season. But a handful think he has the potential to be special thanks to his quick crossover, high basketball IQ and killer mentality on the court. At pick No. 21, the upside-to-risk ratio strongly favors the Rockets, who really need to build around some star power.

4. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Another power forward story.

5. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

Thank you very much guys. I really looked into it on the internet, but the iHoops mock Draft is just ridiculous.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think the Knicks pick will be around #10, not #15, and I don't like Henson at #10. I am hoping that Bradley Beal or Jared Sullinger will be available at our Knicks pick.

8. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

thanks. They have the full mock there, helped me a lot

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It a little early for this, With 3 picks, 2 conditional, the Rockets picks could be spread anywhere from 11-27.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

high bust potential on henson. and also not what we need. Jordan Hill 2.0

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm mainly concerned because I don't think we should draft any player we need to develop, who needs to see a lot of minutes on the floor to become good. We just don't have the playing time available for a project. We need polished guys who can make an immediate contribution. That's why I say I'm crossing my fingers for Beal/Sullinger. I think both have a shot to become all-stars and I think both are quite polished and can step in and contribute immediately.

My comps for those two guys are Eric Gordon and Al Jefferson.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

ROXTXIA - but your addiction brings value to the board for us ubercheapskates. Rep for you.

Oh and just what we need...another PF tweener that we hope to change into a SF...

13. Illegal Machine

If you guys want Insider, look for deals on ESPN the magazine. I got a 3 or 4 year subscription for less than $4 a couple years ago. Your ESPN the magazine sub automatically gets you ESPN Insider access.

I quickly browse the magazines and then trash them.

14. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Al Jefferson took a few seasons to break out.

15. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I really like Austin Rivers so picking him at 21 would be pretty sweet IMO

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I want at least one of the following in the draft with our (likely) 2-3 draft picks. In the order I want them...

1. Athletic wing player with potential on offense. Similar to what I thought Morris could've been last year, although hoping more a SF/SG rather than SF/PF type.
    2. A big man who can play center and defense. Offense optional.
    3. Euro player with big upside that won't need to take up a roster spot. Especially since Motiejunas is coming over.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I didn't really mean those comps in terms of their polish level. Just in terms of what I think they will become.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Meyers Leonard, C with the Knicks pick
    Jeffrey Taylor, SF with the Mavs pick

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oi Chapinha,

Tô adivinhando que ‘cê é brasileiro?

‘Tá no Brasil agorinha? Como é que ‘cê torce pelos Rockets, rapá?

20. Mariachi ROCKET

I hope we get the 13th pick instead of the 14th! LOL