1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigration Words by Clinton/Obama versus Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The left's irrational hate is making everything Trump does an order 666 to take control of the
    country.

cml750 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Illegal immigration has been a problem for a while. Spending $10-20 billion on a wall is not the fix. Questioning anyone who does not look white is not the fix. Going door to door with an ICE force to round up illegals is not the fix (well it's a fix, but would serve a terrible precedent).

So far, Trump's deportation policy has not been too different from prior policy, and hopefully it stays that way. Deport people who commit crimes, stop individuals from coming in illegally, and finally provide those who made it and have been here with a pathway to citizenship especially DACA and DREAM individuals. Yes this is amnesty for those who broke a law. But we punish crimes to rehabilitate individuals not to hurt them.

edit: While I realize that trigger warnings have existed for decades (e.g. TV showing "Content may not be suitable for X"), I do not remember there being trigger warnings or safe spaces during my 4 years of college a decade ago.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is no fix without a wall though. We can haggle over the cost but you'll never stop the problem without a physical barrier and people to work it.

As to "questioning people who don't look white", why wouldn't you question people who look white? Adults should have some form of ID on them just about all the time, if someone doesn't have ID on them, you should question why that is and investigate further.

As to "deport people who commit crimes", when even being here in the first place is committing a crime, that would mean deporting all illegals you run into.

When it comes to providing a path to citizenship, I would be all for that once the border is truly secured. Stop the flow of illegals, then work out a system where there would be a process for some of them to stay if they do the right things. You then bulk things up and go after those who remain by targeting those who employ them and deporting them wherever they are found. In order to do this, it means targeting sanctuary cities as well.

Once upon a time, this wouldn't have been controversial (except for the offering amnesty to some portion)

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

ISLAMOPHOBIA!

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Over 40% of illegals fly here.

We don't have laws that people must have ID, let alone carry it at all times. But I'm sure if we did, the papers inspectors would be equally likely to stop whites as often as non-whites. I mean, why wouldn't they? I can't think of any reasons.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The barrier would have to encompass our entire country because if we build a wall, they will grab a boat. If we build a seawall, they can still fly in. Note, I am talking about regular people trying to make a living in the US and not trying to actually harm it. (e.g. jumping the border to work or staying past a student visa). We have tons of coast line and a lot of border with Canada.

Would you support a federal law saying we should carry an ID with us at all times? What would the punishment be if we did not?
    Also, of note, we almost deported a Puerto Rican to Mexico because they lacked valid ID.

This is a place where you and I will continue to disagree, even though you are correct. If an illegal immigrant steals a car, they should be deported. Why? Because they are ultimately here illegally. But what about someone minding their own business, can we determine if they are here legally or not? No. And I like operating on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. Hence, we should deport those committing crimes, not whose crime is illegal migration. But it gets complicated quickly.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Take control of the country? Pretty sure the country wasn't in chaos or "out of control" before Trump.

As for Trump's words, a lot of this boils down to how he implements things. The initial immigration EO was implemented so chaotically and thoughtlessly that any immigrant or visa holder would be terrified that at any moment they'll be locked out of coming back to the US on a whim. Their messaging has been so callous and throughout the entire life cycle of the EO, not once did the White House acknowledge the problems created by their poorly designed and implemented order.

That stuff scares people. When the DOJ was asked in court why they felt the need to immediately implement the EO, the DOJ refused to even attempt to answer the question. How can an immigrant ever feel comfortable when the government rashly passes policies and can't even defend the rationale behind it.

And those of us who aren't immigrants but have a connection to immigrants (either through our family or friends) can't help but feel empathy. Just like the empathy you feel when a child loses their mother because of a deportation proceeding that lacks any sort compassion.

You're screwing with people's lives when you make these sorts of decisions and its easy to look at it and say that this is part of some effort to take control of our borders but it comes at a serious human cost both in actual lives affected, perception of the US, and a downstream general anxiety for anyone who looks a little different.

We're supposed to be different. We're the country that mocked Europeans for their closed and insular immigration policies towards the outside world. We're the ones who pointed out that Japan was in a demographic death spiral because they refuse to accept any immigrants. Now here we are embracing the same absurd logic because a president has created a bunch of misplaced anger around demographics and a changing economy and directed it at the most vulnerable among us (immigrants and refugees).

You might feel some sort of intangible benefit from all of this as a demonstration of authority but to others, they live through the real and human cost of these sorts of demonstrations. You're letting a petty and temperamental fraud literally trick an entire political party into performing a 180 on trade and immigration and somehow that's ok.

B-Bob, joshuaao and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would support a law requiring everyone to have ID, which of course would mean that the government would have to provide it. I wouldn't necessarily suggest a punishment for not carrying it, but I would think that those who didn't should face further scrutiny.....then again, I was in the military and per Army regulations you had to carry your ID on you at all times.....and it wasn't a big deal. So maybe that influences my opinion on the subject. In the military all your benefits, rights and privileges flow from the ID card so if you don't have it on you then you don't have access to benefits, rights, or privileges related to being in the military.

You could do the same thing with citizenship. You want to do something as a citizen? Carry the card to prove that you have access to those benefits, rights, or privileges. I mean, we already do something similar with drivers licenses.[/QUOTE]

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, sure, but they will have to fly higher if we build a good-sized wall.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do notice that the wall wasn't the only thing I was calling for doing right? Even then, it would hamper the 60% which is a very necessary thing. When it comes to people who fly here, it's usually those who come in legally but overstay visas and whatnot. The other parts of what I laid out would address them.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

"The left's irrational hate"....?

Dude nobody cares about your ignorant partisan agenda. The next time you want to create a stupid thread, channel that energy to something positive in your life like Trump masturbation etc..

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Sounds like we need a 50,000 foot high wall.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yes. there is.

Illegal immigration stops immediately if you have draconion punishments for employers who hire illegals. Without the prospect for a job, they will not come.

Damn. Bobby you going all liberal on us.

I am not for a path to citizenship. I am for a path to being legal. Illegals need to get green cards to stay.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just see it as the right thing to do so long as you fix the problem of no physical border allowing people to just wander in at will along with going after people and companies who would hire them illegally and the sanctuary cities that would harbor them. After that, if they jump through some of the hoops that people who did it legally did then I would offer a one time amnesty and allow a path to full citizenship.....but it wouldn't be a quick path, just a quick path to legal status.

I see that as the cheapest and easiest way to get it done, hell you can add additional fines to the legalization process in order to pay for the physical border. IMO it should be seen as restitution which is something that lots of people end up paying when they commit crimes.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is really an important point.

I think the best way to fix illegal immigration is to fix the cost and steps necessary to get a green card. When it takes years and costs huge amounts of money, plenty of folks who are otherwise law abiding citizens won't wait because they are separated from their family, or have work lined up for themselves, etc. They may not have the money and the time is unreasonable.

Let's fix that and it will reduce illegal immigration. It might even help some of the huge percentage of illegals that overstayed their visas.

The wall is stupid because it won't keep anyone out. And is impossible to build all along the border.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

I can agree with you on that.With all the people that have waited in line and did it the right way you would be rewarding all those whom sneaked into the country or over stayed the visas.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

[/QUOTE]

This is a leftist insane idea. Laws requiring people to have ID on them all the time is nuts. However I am not opposed to laws requiring ID for any type of public benefit.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

I usually don't agree with you but you hit the nail right on the head this time but to add to what you stated take away the free things that are offered to Americans welfare food stamps etc.