1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iman Shumpert: Not a punk (tidbits about Rockets changing defense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 13, 2019.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically our defense has devolved to everyone stick to their man, unless Harden calls for a switch. :D

heypartner likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I thought this tidbit was interesting:

The Rockets are confident they have time to teach Shumpert the nuances of their switching scheme, which he did not experience playing for the Kings before the trade.

So, let's give Shumpert some time to get in tune with our switching defense before we judge too quickly. There is a lot to pick up. But it sounds like he has the right skillset/tools to excel in the system.

3. ak99999

ak99999 Member

Are we not counting MCW and the other scrubs? LOL

Yes, sometimes morey has good picks!

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't @ me but Shump is a better defender than Ariza and Ma Booty. Gonna be huge in the playoffs against the WC guards like Lillard, Russ, Klay, Steph, Murray, etc...

lw17 and Roc Paint like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Ariza....eh idk could be a wash he could be better. He won’t be better than Luc and expecting otherwise is unreasonable imo

ThunderStruck likes this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

why is he a not better defender than Luc?

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Full quote "Trunk full of funk, I ain't never been a punk"

He's already embracing Houston.

roslolian and Rashmon like this.
  8. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Bu...But some people here are calling him trash because he isn't putting up any flashy numbers...

Rockets Defensive RTG since Shumpert:
    Without: 117.8
    With: 97.2

burlesk, roslolian and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He won't be better than Luc? Surely you jest.
    We're talking about the same Luc who gave us approximately 0 in the playoffs, right?

lw17 and sirbaihu like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Because Luc was a top 5 perimeter defender, You saw it all last year it’s how good the defense was with him in(even the Harden lineups I believe) and I think he had like the highest net rating on our team and one of the highest in the league. When Ariza went out last year, we didn’t miss a beat cause Luc was there. He has consistently done a great job against guys like Lebron and Kawhi. He was an impact defender.
    Overall.... I don’t really think he’ll be better than either(hope to be wrong). But in the case you quoted me, I was specifically talking about defense. And no I don’t think Shumpert will be better there.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Hahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah. K. Just confirming.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not a punk....but Barbeque chicken nonetheless against the bigger better players in the playoffs

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Ok, do you have any stats to back you up offensively or defensively(or anything that tells you that he was better than Luc on defense), or do you have any reasoning? Or are you just gonna laugh based on some eyes test of yours cause if so then theres no point discussing? And if we are talking about playoffs Luc was hurt so he never got a real chance to give us his normal production. If he is in, we likely win the championship.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm not going to bother googling stats for you, you may do that if you like. You're entitled to your opinion. Playoff Luc and this season's Luc are both useless, so...there's no point in really discussing this further.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Does that mean Lin would be the starter?

**SARCASM before anyone blocks me**

16. HP3

HP3 Member

I already know the stats and Shumpert neither exceeded Luc nor Ariza so its fine. But know that I was strictly talking about the regular season Luc was playing for us.

Again I hope im wrong.

17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

That guy obviously isn't talking about playoff Luc or this season's Luc because playoff Luc and this season's Luc are both injured, and likely won't be the same anymore. I'm sure dude just isn't wording himself well enough for you, but he isn't comparing Shumpert to this year's Luc. Rather last season's Luc.

Luc, before he got injured last season, was our best perimeter defender, and all the stats backed it up. Everyone on this board would take '19 Shumpert over '19 Luc, but I doubt 1% of ClutchFans takes '19 Shumpert over a healthy '18 Luc. I hope that you are not that 1% that would take '19 Shumpert over a healthy '18 Luc.

HP3 and ThunderStruck like this.
  18. YaoMingsSoulja

Yes, and sometimes he has bad ones. But he's knows when they are bad and corrects them pretty quickly.

roslolian likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

'18 Luc is like '87 MJ and 1776 George Washington: gone forever. We're in fantasy basketball territory here.
    Personally, I don't even care about the regular season record. The playoffs are the thing, and Luc did 0 last year, so I don't miss him for one second.

seclusion and roslolian like this.