1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we win 3 of next 4 games, we can be 2 back of the spurs by next Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2k8, Mar 22, 2010.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

We may catch SA, the next 4 games are brutal, if they lose all 4 and it seems they very well can, if we win just 3/4, assume a lost to the lakers, we will be only 2 back by next Sunday, there is still plenty to play for!

Rockets Schedule 36-32 *bold denotes play off team on schedule*

Mar 22, 2010 @ Chicago Bulls
    Mar 24, 2010 @ Oklahoma City Thunder
    Mar 25, 2010 Los Angeles Clippers
    Mar 27, 2010 Los Angeles Lakers
    Mar 30, 2010 Washington Wizards
    Mar 31, 2010 @ San Antonio Spurs
    Apr 2, 2010 @ Boston Celtics
    Apr 4, 2010 @ Indiana Pacers
    Apr 6, 2010 @ Memphis Grizzlies
    Apr 7, 2010 Utah Jazz
    Apr 9, 2010 Charlotte Bobcats
    Apr 11, 2010 @ Phoenix Suns
    Apr 14, 2010 New Orleans Hornets

SPURS SCHEDULE 41-27
    Mar 22, 2010 @ Oklahoma City Thunder
    Mar 24, 2010 Los Angeles Lakers
    Mar 26, 2010 Cleveland Cavaliers
    Mar 28, 2010 @ Boston Celtics
    Mar 29, 2010 @ New Jersey Nets
    Mar 31, 2010 Houston Rockets
    Apr 2, 2010 Orlando Magic
    Apr 4, 2010 @ Los Angeles Lakers
    Apr 6, 2010 @ Sacramento Kings
    Apr 7, 2010 @ Phoenix Suns
    Apr 9, 2010 Memphis Grizzlies
    Apr 10, 2010 @ Denver Nuggets
    Apr 12, 2010 Minnesota Timberwolves
    Apr 14, 2010 @ Dallas Mavericks

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

FIXED

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

San Antonio has a tough schedule but they are playing very well right now. Better than us and our schedule is no walk in the park.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

As a poster had stated in another thread, Spurs wins have not come against quality teams, they have had a pretty easy schedule recently. With that being said, at least they were able to take care of the teams they should have beat unlike the rockets but of course we didn't have lowry or ariza for a stretch. I'm just saying, there is a glimpse of hope still left and it's keeping me interested.

5. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Old Man, I agree they are playing pretty well but they really have been beating up on a lot of bottom feeders while underperforming against the elite teams, and the word around Spurs Talk forum is that they desperately need Tony Parker back as Hill is underperforming. I doubt that Parker will be back within a week or two, and I think a lot of damage could be done in that time. It is not unreasonable to think of the Spurs going 6-8 in their final games (with one of those losses coming to us hopefully). The game against Dallas could still be meaningful for Dallas so we shouldn't assume that they will tank either.

Regardless, it is an absolutely long shot, I agree. I think we have about a 10-15 percent chance of doing it. Hollinger's Rankings do not take into consideration how vastly improved we are with Lowry and Ariza back in the line up with Martin so his chance of ~5% is on the low side in my opinion.

Who knows what will happen but it sure as hell is exciting!

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

It seems more likely we catch the Blazers, as we are only 3 back in the loss column.

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Parker is out for the rest of the season at a minimum

8. rocketsmetalspd

I have been stating that the Blazers, Spurs, and Thunder all could end up with 35 loses if the Rockets can stay within that lost total they could end up getting in but at least it is slim shot.

9. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

tmac2therack, according to the spurs forum/tony's blog they have been saying that he is already shooting around and feels no pain in his hand. he is apparently begging Pop to play. I agree the official injury report lists him out for the rest of the season pretty much but I would not be shocked if he attempted an early return...

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

I still cannot see SA losing 5 in a row..They are bound to steal at least one.

11. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I think we have a good chance to be only 1 or 2 back of spurs come next sunday as long as we take care of business and pull out an upset in LA or beat the Thunder, we have had their number this year.

Not sure how much losing battier will effect us though. I will be very suprised actually if the spurs come out of this week 2-2.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

yea dont overlook the bobcats game that might be a loss as well

but i think the spurs have a very difficult schedule and i think they can lose 4 in a row spurs to me looks like we can catch them or beat them for a playoff spot instead of the blazers

13. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Manu will not be able to keep saving the spurs now that the comp will be tougher this week. He has been saving them every game against the lower teams in the past few weeks. I don't believe he has that much gas left in the take to keep bailing the team out. They do not have good outside shooting, no backup bigs, and Tim is getting older by the week. The spurs do not have comeback power once they get down by 10 points or so (i.e. Orlando game). I'm looking for them to have a losing streak, starting yesterday...

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

The spurs-rockets game will be a huge factor

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Apparently everyone is set on us being in the lottery with the 14th pick, rather than playing in an exciting playoff series and gaining experience. At a bare minimum, it would benefit Aaron Brooks, who has only played in two series in his career. Why not see if he can carry us in the 4th quarter of a playoff game?

Here is what I posted in the Magic Numbers thread as far as keeping up with the Spurs (who have not won a "tough" game since Denver in early February):

And of course it all hinges on us beating San Antonio and Memphis- that's why I put those in our "winnable" games. Those are the games each team can't afford to lose.

16. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

this is getting exciting!!!!

17. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Lets go Rockets, les go!!

18. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

Rox 36-32

that is a dam impressive record considering EVERYTHING theyve had to endure

so proud of these guys

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Nice, I like this. I would put that Dal games in the tough matchups for the spurs. Dal is still in a fight for 2nd or 3rd so they will more than likely need that last win.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, I debated and put that as winnable just to be conservative. You never know who's going to be playing for what on the last day of the season. If it turns out that Dallas needs that win, that's even better.