1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Fertitta is willing to pay luxury tax...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkim1984, Feb 17, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thats really not how things work. Teams who want cap relief are dumping bad contracts in exchange for expiring deals. That means if the Cavs trade an expiring Anderson for a pick they will be getting albatross contracts in exchange, that is like double whammy of first you lost Lebron and now you have overpaid players and you do that for a pick? Lmao! Why do you think the Rox are stuck with Anderson? They want no part of him for a lousy pick!

Secondly the Rox already gave up their pick next year in the Chris Paul trade, since teams can't trade away consecutive draft picks that the 2 rockets picks in your scenario will come 2 and 4 years from now. Their GM will already be fired by the time those picks arrive.

Third, Anderson is not an expiring deal he has 1 more year before he becomes an expiring. Basically you are telling the Cavs to pay for his salary for 1 year for nothing, thats not gonna fly Cavs want to rebuild and pay good players and not 21M to a 10 pt spot up shooter.

Finally, you are straight up delusional if you think Anderson will net you a pick. The rox need to give up picks and assets just to convince other teams to take him you thinkhe will fetch you a pick? Lol

2. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

How many NBA owners said they would go all in no matter what? OKC owner once passed up on Harden to save 4M in salary.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If I’m not mistaken the rockets gave their 2018 1st in CP trade which means if they traded any picks a couple weeks ago they couldnt really send any picks because of the protection on that pick. After this summers draft they’re free to trade 2019 and 2021. So 1 and 3 years out not 2nd and 4th year.

D-rock likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

2018 is the first, 2019 is the second. The first year will only be the upcoming draft (2018 draft) which hasn't happened yet.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Ok you’re using different terms for the years than me. Still though to your original point, the Cavs wouldn’t have to wait 2 and 4 years for those hypothetical picks to convey. Any trade for LBJ to a team he wants would be most likely for 2019 draft at the earliest which would be 1 year regardless.

There’s also an argument posed by Bima that the 2020 and 2022 picks would be more valuable because the further out you get the more likely we might suck.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

When you put it that way, it sounds really bad.

7. HAYJON02

I prefer the trade option, but as odd as it sounds, we don't NEED Lebron. Having him would only cheapen any glory we are going to enjoy in the next few years. That said, I wouldn't be upset if we got him in a trade and gave away any and all assets to acquire him. You gonna sit here and talk about flexibility? For what?

8. RockWest

Which part sounds really bad? Do you think owners have no financial obligations?

9. HAYJON02

Do I look like some kind of man made of straw to you? I don't have 4 million, but in the grand scheme of the costs of running a franchise, 4 million is laughable amount to change course about. "With 4 million dollars, I could _____." Not many things in today's NBA. If that is too much of a burden, then you need to sell your team and get out of the business.

10. RockWest

You realize it was OKC owner who let Harden go over 4M right?

ballscientist1 said:
    My understanding: Fertitta is more conservative than any of the nba owners.

I was telling him that is not the case.

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

said no one ever.