1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Fertitta is willing to pay luxury tax...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkim1984, Feb 17, 2018.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

With your shitty post history, why would anyone of us do this? Broussard "Multiple Sauces" has better takes than you.

Deuce, dkim1984 and topfive like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All I know is if rockets meet Cavs in final and lbj. Lost to us, I find it really hard to believe he would want to join us. Stars care about their image more than u think.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Believe me , If Lebron walks into Gilberts office and says I'm opting out and walking for nothing .... Or you can trade me to Houston - He will take Ryno + EG and picks rather than the NOTHING he'd get otherwise.

Deuce and dkim1984 like this.
  4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I don't the Rockets to add LeBron. I want the Rockets to beat LeBron.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Thankfully, Morey doesn't care what you want. :D

dkim1984 likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Lebron wanting to destroy his reputation like that. Now if the Rockets lose, that's a different situation, I just can't see Lebron heading to the team that just won the championship.

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Originally was on the KD is a snake train, but the more I see Westbrook not succeed with other players that are superstars away from him, the more I understand the move. If I were a star in the NBA Westbrook is not someone I would want to play with. This PG and Melo experiment I think has officially done damage to his reputation as a guy thats going to make you better. He pulled his weight for the championship and even got the finals MVP so it's not like he was just gifted a ring. I would be getting worried if I was his age and still didn't have a ring and I see Westbrook playing with such volatility. This thread looks pretty derailed lol

dkim1984 likes this.
  8. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Agreed. Especially now that he’s def nt in the MVP running. Well, at least according to the pundits.

9. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

If he wins, then sure I see him staying. But I’m confident that we’re still better then them even retooled as they are. Plus, if he is in a position to ruin his image, then he must have lost. Bc otherwise, he’d stay.

Either way, by understanding what the overall payroll consequences of signing lbj, I get an idea of what the worst case cost scenario is to get a better idea of cost-benefit. That way I could possibly see to what extent Tillman would have to stretch himself and the firm to back his stmt.

I simply asked for that and ADD replied in various pointless tangents of if this could even happen or not, which wasn’t the question. In fact, it’s the start of determining whether something is possible or not.

#49 dkim1984, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is a narrative that also doesn't make sense. If you look at KD his brand actually got improved because he has a ring now. Lebron is chasing MJ now and trying to solidify his 2nd best ever rank so he needs rings more than anything else.

At the end of the day all rings are created equal, a ring is a ring in the public's eyes. For example 3 of Kobe's rings were given to him by Shaq but everybody just says Kobe is a 5 time champion. So if Lebron plays with Harden and Cp3 and wins like 4 rings then when he retires people are gonna say he is the goat since 7>6 and he has more stats and finals appearances than Jordan.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

That dude is a GSW snake, just ignore all his posts. He is just scared Lebron will join the Rockets and end up taking a dump on a cheating GSW team with 2 MVPs and 4 all stars.

dkim1984 likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

No it wouldn't lol. KD hadn't even won a ring on his own and he joined the rival team, it was a betrayal of sorts kinda what Ray Allen did to the Celtics.

Lebron would be going to a different conference and away from a team that realistically has 0 chance to win a ring(unlike OKC who was only 1 game behind GSW). Staying Cleveland is just a waste of his time unless he can convince Chris Paul or Paul George to play with him and Love.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

\he'll also get like $70MM in money by letting James Walk vs. taking on Rhyno and EG. If they're contending, repeater tax might be something he's willing to stomach, but without Lebron any salary above luxury is poison. First round picks are not worth $70MM

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I didn't create the narrative. KD used to be one of the most liked player in the league, UNTIL he jumped ship to superteam supreme GSW.

LeBron had the same stigma when he left Cleveland the first time to form supersteam in Miami. LeBron was absolutely miserable being derided by public and media for taking 'easy' way to championships.

Not sure hes willing to take that kind of scrutiny and negativity again. But again, I'm only acknowledging the narrative that we've heard ad nauseam from media, not my personal stance as I'd want to continue winning rings to pad my legacy if I was James.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lebron = ~$35m

EG + Ryno = ~$33m

They aren't forced to retain Ryno / EG.

EG is instantly worth another first round pick to a contender in a separate trade .....

Ryno would be an expiring the following year and a team looking for cap space would likely give up another first rounder (and possibly a young player too) to acquire that expiring deal.

Basically they get two first round picks for eating one year of Ryno's deal ....

The Rockets likely give them two #1's , they get two more for EG / Ryno , that's 4 #1's in exchange for Lebron which would expedite any rebuild and they still have the Nets unprotected pick to boot. (they traded their own in the upcoming draft for Nance Jr.).

dkim1984 likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Don’t worry about it ballscientist1
    https://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/teams/cleveland-cavaliers

See Cavs roster/salary going into next season.
    Cavs will renounce Rodney Hood because they have Osman up and coming
    Cavs will trade Love and/or George Hill

K Love trade will bring them 1) pieces they will turn around and trade or waive if they are non guaranteed contracts
    2) draft pick(s) 3) younger cheaper developing talent.

Cavs will get under the salary tax burden even if they can’t move George Hill.

Plus they draft one of the good players coming out this summer with the Brooklyn pick: Bagley (PF), Bamba (PF),
    Ayton (C), Doncic (SG), Sexton(PG).

Houston Rockets are being toy’d with by the media. LeBron is not leaving Cavs. Rockets won’t need him either.

#56 ApacheWarrior, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I know everybody says they "hate" KD but how does it impact him? He's still selling a crap ton of shoes, still selling jerseys, it's just a vocal minority who KD was wise enough to just ignore. If KD listened to his haters then he would still be ringless in OKC and people are gonna say he just isn't that good. The problem with LBJ is he listened to the haters but for all the hate he got in Miami he was MVP 2 times and should have had a third one except the voting public just didn't want to give him more MVPs than Jordan.

Now look back Lebron's legacy who is saying he has an easy path to his rings? Is anybody putting an asterisk on his miami rings? Is anybody putting an asterisk at Kobe's 3 rings with Shaq? How about Curry, all his rings he had 3 superstars alongside him so his 2 rings should have an asterisk too etc. Nobody cares how people get their rings as long as they got them. Maybe you forget but in all of Jordan's 6 rings they were always favored to win and they did so against relatively weak teams (nobody remotely as good as they are).

18. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

But that would be a disaster, we will probably breaking all kinds of records.
    82-0 etc and tc will still be empty.
    Fritatta gonna go broke since he cant regain his $$$

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

cont’d from Post #56

@ballscientist1

This summer Dallas can drop down to about $65 million payroll. So if Cuban wants to keep LeBron from going
    to the Rockets, he could trade for Kevin Love. Because the Cavs are so far above the luxury tax and Dallas
    so far under the luxury tax. Cavs could trade K Love for practically nothing in return. Picks.

Dallas this summer:
    RFA McDermott: $4.5 mil Qualifying Offer. (Could renounce rights or trade to Cavs)
    RFA Mejri: $1.8 mil Qualifying Offer. (Could renounce rights or trade to Cavs)
    RFA Yogi Ferrell: $1.75 Qualifying Offer (Could renounce rights or trade to Cavs)

Non-Guaranteed contract Finney-Smith: $1.55 mil
    Non-Guaranteed contract Kleber: $1.4 mil
    Non-Guaranteed contract Collinsworth $1.4 mil

So no LeBron to Houston. Bye ballscientsit1. Thanks for stopping by. Go back to your Golden State forums.

20. ballscientist1

Cavs are a better and younger team than Rockets. and certainly have a better chance to win the conference than Rockets.

Cavs are still good between 2020 and 2025.

#60 ballscientist1, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018