1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

If Dwight doesn't re-sign, who will be our center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mig0s, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I expect the Rockets to sign Cole Aldrich, and then Aldrich and Capela will split time at the center position. Aldrich may not be our first choice, but it will be who we end up with.

2. chandlerbang21

Unless capella gets a mid-range jumper and hakeems post moves we need a new center

3. Fantasma Negro

Whiteside should be the number one target but I'm not against drafting a big man and signing Pau

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i was actually going to say aldrich.

other names to backup/split time with capela are mahinmi, mozgov, hibbert, biyombo.

its just not worth spending a lot of money on a defensive center anymore. capela with any of these guys can provide good enough rim protection and defensive rebounding. our money is better spent elsewhere.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Since we're gonna suck next year anyway, Capela will suffice at center.

6. Raz

Raz Member

First choice would be Horford, Jefferson and Mahinmi, gonna be difficult though. If he's cheap, give Hibbert a try on a short contract. Noah might be available, but he's a huge risk.

Don't even consider going for Whiteside.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

How's Yao's foot looking?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sam Dekker.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Mike Muscala

We're talking about realistic targets ...

Sigh ...

10. Fantasma Negro

Skal Labissiere is the best player in this draft, at the rate we're losing he's in range. If he puts on 10 pounds and keeps his quickness he could be one of the best big men in the league. His game is tailor fitted to compliment Harden's and Beasley's for that matter. We should draft him first and then go into free agency in a position of strength:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RF_cWYmUZVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Cole Aldrich is not bad.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The kind of center we need is a Mehmet Okur type - IMHO, it should be DMo.

DD

13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Capela was originally projected as a 4, but he will make his way in the league as a 5. He will be a starting C in this league. I just don't know if you want that to be next year. It will be his 3rd year, but big-men have a longer learning curve. If Dwight had played out his final year I think Capela would've been ready do step in. Game randomly speeds up for him and he blows bunnys. The more time he has, the less that will happen. He could start next year, but you may see some flashes of youth, even for stretches of games, but I'm a believer in Capela.

14. basketballholic

He has flop written all over him. Post up moves galore against small guys. None of that stuff is gonna work in the Association. He's 3-4 years away from being able to contribute. That is if he can actually mature and move away from lame brain.

This is a guy that couldn't get minutes on his college team. He would be of no use to us next season. And we really can't afford to take on a project at this stage since we have regressed so badly this year.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I've also wondered why D-Mo hasn't gotten more minutes at center this season. I know he doesn't give the team any rim protection, but he plays decent team defense, rotates well, and can show on opponents' PnR's. His impact on the offensive end should also mitigate some of the "damage" his presence at center causes on defense.

If they re-sign D-Mo, I think a (healthy) D-Mo/Capela combo would at least be serviceable (together with another defensive big signed on the cheap for depth). It's just the "health" part that would worry me.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Capela should be our C if Dwight is out. I hope we sign Noah too, they'd make a great tandem at C. Noah can teach Capela how to be a better passer, defender and more aggressive.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Headed for Thibs/Noah reunion.

18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Harden is our 4 on defense

19. Nook

Nook Member

No, it shouldn't be DMO. He offers zero rim protection and has been in the NBA for years and hasn't established himself.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

2 years ago when Dwight was out, DMo was 8th in the league in rim protection. He got good at using his 7' bigness to go straight up and down vertically and affect shots while not picking up a foul. Didn't get a lot of blocks that way but affected shots. His boards did better too. Imagine that....boards going up when you ask your 7 footer to stay closer to the rim instead of camping out 24 ft away from the basket.

But he also broke his back banging down there. Capela/DMo isn't so bad. C position is just different now. Id rather shift those superstar dollars from the C to the PF position. Swing for the fences first with Durant, right, but get a semi-star like Horford for PF. Horford/Capela/DMo is a nice stable of bigs. Blow up all that Howard money to address PF, bench, PG....