1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Idea to set up a private server for vintage games?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Is it an idea to set up a server like rockets2k has which we could all chip in to maintain and only those who pay get access to it and we can share vintage games?

2. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Sounds like a great idea but who has vintage games? The only ones I have are already readily available via DavkaBT other torrents or through M2.

There's a lot of 10min highlight videos on Youtube that I wish the uploaders of them could upload the full games of. Definitely keen though.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why are you making us pay for this again?
    Nobody wants to download like 20gig+ full games. :p

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Hell yes. I would.

Anyways, Im down with the idea as long as there are more recent games too. 90's is a must, I wouldn't mind some 2000 onwards as well.

5. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

This sounds good. I collect the 90's games. Trying to get the full playoff runs for the championship years.

I also have a few others that are worth watching.

6. RedRedemption

In that case, why don't you guys just upload it to Demonoid? :confused:
    Why does it have to be a private server?

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Some games are rare and traders generally do not like for these to leak. If we just put em on demonoid, megaupload or whatever, chances are great guys here will share the links with other friends and games will leak. This also will decrease my chances of trading with people ever again. This happened to me recently because I shared a few games with a friend who I owed.

8. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

I would love this idea... been trying to find torrents of many of the NBA Hardwood Classics they show on NBAtv but have had no success so far. I miss 90's basketball

9. RedRedemption

Anybody could download files from your site and then sell them for profit. :p
    And/or upload them to Demonoid. :p

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Obviously it's over then and we shut it down. There must be trust, because I'm not risking anything to mess up my trading. I just figured it would be great for some people to see some games they haven't seen before or in a long while.

11. DumDaDumDum

DumDaDumDum Member

Terrible idea in which no one is interested in supporting.

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

go back to your basement non-rockets fan

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lol..

I hope it's not a new thing to call others non-rocket fan when they have a different opinion.

Oh wait.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A guy who's criticizing a Rockets fan who wants to watch some Rockets games is not a Rockets fan.

Rockets fans like watching Rockets games.

Non Rockets fans prefer watching other teams like Orlando, Toronto, the Knicks and such.
    :cool:

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Also, if someone is criticizing a person for watching a Rockets game that has Hakeem Olajuwon or Akeem Olajuwon in it, then you know for sure they aren't a Rockets fan.

Do Bulls fans criticize other Bulls fans for watching vintage Michael Jordan? I don't think so.

Do Laker fans criticize other Laker fans for watching Magic Johnson? No.

Therefore Rockets fans, if they are real, don't criticize Rockets fans for watching the Dream.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You must have missed the context.. again. My goodness, such a non-Rocket fan you are tinman!

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Do you even read the thread or do you just read the title and hijack everything?

The OP wants people to pay (not donate) to watch Rocket games, because only those who pay it get to watch it. If you know anything about the outside world, you would know there are sites that allow you to do so without paying. And the OP does not like that idea because he doesn't want people watching it for free.

So one poster said he thinks the idea is stupid, which is understandable because you can watch/torrent a lot of vintage Rocket games for free around the internet.

Why do I even bother.

Just don't hijack this thread.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks Lars for the napster info.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

/delete

#19 tinman, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cool idea but I think you'll have a hard time pulling it off. Everybody is pretty pirate-happy nowadays, which would make me hesitant to chip in $$. Best of luck.

If he's hijacking the thread, you're getting the assist on the scoresheet.