1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Less safe...

2. NewRoxFan

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

who is hurt by a wall?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In local news, courtesy of /r/houston:

[​IMG]

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dumbass.

DD

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

You may want to put me on ignore you know so you can “clean up the feeds and ignore correctly”. If you do that then eventually everyone will agree with you, CNN and the other TDS sufferers, then you can play grab ass and do reach arounds without hindrance.

8. NewRoxFan

Never can tell if you are ever serious or just tossing out questions, but on the assumption its a serious question...

A short list:
    • Environmental damage caused both during the construction of the wall and by the on-going presence of the wall
    • Impact on local and migrating wildlife in the area (not surprising, the US Fish and Wildlife report detailing this was removed by corrupt Department of the Interior leadership since they wanted to show their support for the wall https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-Energy-202-Trump-s-border-wall-would-hurt-13457029.php
    • Impact on commerce that normally flows between U.S. and Mexico
    • Impact on local residents, who will be displaced by the construction of the wall and those that will be separated from the United States by the new wall. The wall will cut through 26 Native American tribal nations and will separate members of tribes and families.
    • Last and perhaps not least, the financial impact of the wall hurts all Americans. Many many billions of tax payer dollars. The money for the wall will come from American taxpayers... money that could and should be spent better elsewhere. trump promised Mexico would pay for the wall... and since that promise has now been shown to be a lie, and because Congress is not showing a willingness to commit new US taxpayer dollars to his vanity wall, he is now talking about taking money away from the military or from currently unspent appropriations for disaster recovery to pay for his wall.

Rashmon, joshuaao, JayGoogle and 3 others like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Didn't trump tweet about what a wonderful thing he did to make sure the Coast Guard got paid (the only branch of the military to not get paid) during the trump government shutdown? Oh yes, he did.

Trump cites ‘great work’ by administration on emergency Coast Guard pay
    https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...y-administration-on-emergency-coast-guard-pay

"Fake News? Well, the news reporting got it right, here's trump's brag/tweet:

But... surprise, trump's brag was a lie...

But they did get a memo:

Memo suggests Coast Guard members hold garage sales, walk pets to make money during shutdown
    Wife of local enlistee: ‘Take action to do whatever you need to do’
    https://www.times-standard.com/2019...ales-walk-pets-to-make-money-during-shutdown/

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL SchumerShutdown

"I will take that mantle of hot potato and throw it to you"

Eric Riley likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Donald "I WiIll Take The Mantle" Trump's word aint worth much. The Great Negotiator may be surprised to find that no one trust his word, especially wrt negotiations.

edwardc and Eric Riley like this.
  12. MystikArkitect

No one actually thinks we need the wall. It’s just a thing that he wants. At best his supporters are indifferent and are like “who cares it’s just a wall”.

I still can’t believe some of the things I’ve had to say out loud since that man ran for the Republican ticket.

Eric Riley likes this.
  13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i wouldnt necessarily say far left in the same sense that fox is far right. they are definitely anti-trump, but that doesnt make them far left. and the majority of this country is anti-trump so them being so isnt really special.

they have a bunch of trump butt-kissers on there all the time, some are paid commentators. corey lewendowski was being paid by CNN at the same time he was still working for trump. rick santorum is a paid commentator and is on all the time. that jason miller douche was on all the time till he got busted for poisoning his mistress into an abortion. steve cortez, steven moore, jeffrey lord, paris denard, that little rush limbaugh clone ben ferguson is on all the time too. you definitely dont have that kind of balance with fox and their commentators.

cnn would be better off without them - that time would be better spent actually discussing news instead of allowing trump propagandists a platform to continually spout their BS.

my problem with cnn and why i think they suck is that they just have the democrat/liberal talking head vs the trumpublican talking head and just endlessly argue the same crap over and over and over again. you dont really get "news", but rather two people/groups arguing the party line. you already know what they are going to say before they even open their mouths. its not really news...its espn for people who dont like sports...politics is their sport.

and its not just cnn, but cable news in general does not seem capable of discussing more than one story at a time. they just take whatever the "hot" news item is and beat it into the ground 24-7 till the next one comes up.

all that being said, the idea that trumpulibcans would call out cnn for bias but not fox is a total joke. as bad as cnn is, fox is way worse.

joshuaao and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Agreed.

...CNN often looks more like "Crossfire" than a news network now. That does get people watching.

People always are going to gawk at the scene of a car crash or a train wreck, no matter how frequent it is.

I don't think you appear to be "fair and balanced" by allowing partisan contests to dictate content on news channels overmuch.

You kind of should just report the news (the facts: what happened and when, what didn't happen and when, and why)...and let everybody watching just draw their own conclusion.

But...

...we all did still wind up electing Donald Trump as president, so maybe that's not the best idea after all...:D:p

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only fools and dumbasses voted for him....

DD

Eric Riley and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

:):D:p...fair enough...

...where's that leave the rest of us, though?:D

Rashmon likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

trump's government shutdown continues...

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think this shutdown has officially doomed Trump's presidency to one-term (if it wasn't before). This has been catastrophic by all accounts. "Taking the mantle", it being the longest shutdown ever and counting, and him eventually having to abandon the wall will be a fatal blow to his re-election chances. Trump has managed to look extremely weak and kept thousands out of work simultaneously. Public opinion has spoken.

amaru, Eric Riley and vlaurelio like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Anything is possible in 2020...but man this is a blow unlike anything I've seen in awhile. The Russia stuff is above most people's heads (mine included) but this shutdown has tangible consequences

Os Trigonum likes this.