1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I love James Harden. Full Stop.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 21, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

James Harden is not a perfect player. However, I respect the hell out of him for what he is.

He doesn't have the athleticism of Russell.
    He doesn't have the freaking length of Giannis.
    He doesn't have the speed of John Wall.
    He doesn't have the quickness and shooting of Curry.
    He doesn't have the size and physical freak status of Lebron.
    He doesn't have the crazy frame of Durant.

James Harden is not blessed with any natural superstar talent. He is a scientist. He has turned himself into an elite offensive player by sheer work and brain power. People will say that Russell Westbrook has the toughest mindset, but Harden's superpower is that he has basically willed his average athleticism into a superstar.

He keeps getting better every year, but not because he finds new ways to abuse his athletic mismatch over guys, but by studying how he is defended and finding a way to beat it.

A superstar like this is extremely rare. In any game we play he will probably be the least athletic of the best players on either team.

There are downsides to star like this. His foot speed and lateral quickness makes transition defense almost impossible for him. When his shot that he works so hard to create isn't falling he doesn't have the fallback of just out "athlete-ing" his opponent.

You can choose to hate on him, and admittedly I will get frustrated with him in game threads (buy hey, what happens in game threads STAYS in game threads!) but I love him for it.

James Harden is a testament to hard work, no matter how "lazy" he looks at times on defense. His whole existence as an NBA superstar is the result of hard work. If Tracy McGrady had the dedication to making himself better that James Harden has he would have been one of the greatest of all time easily. Harden has worked himself into a Lebron-lite (does everything for you) without Lebron's natural gifts. If he had Lebron's size and athleticism he'd be Lebron.

I love James Harden. I'll ride with him. Nothing that happens in this series will change my respect for this man.

bro2044, Smacktle, Zergling and 64 others like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I accept all that too but he makes the decision to walk the ball up the court and freeze cp3 out of PG duties

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Might not be his fault but he doesn’t even try on defense. He would rather try a reach around and get crossed by a 40 year old Livingston than move his feet.

No excuses for poor effort. I hold Harden to the same standard as Hakeem.

4. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

Not the same Level yet. I love James Harden but sometimes he plays like a p***y.

ilovehtownbb, DudeWah and lw17 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i love harden... he is goat

6. igotwhipscollectingdust

I agree to an extent but Harden's biggest flaw isn't his lack of athleticism but rather his lack of consistent effort. Harden has the physical tools to be a better defender than Curry.. There really is no excuse for him to be such a poor defender. I understand conserving energy for offense but he doesn't even try to stay in front of his man. He also refuses to play with any type of pace and that completely handicaps the offense. The reason we won game 2 was because Paul made a concerted effort to run on every possession and that gave guys like Tuck, Ariza, and Gordon more opportunies to get in rhythm. Harden's walk it up routine is not conducive to beating the best defense in the NBA.

7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I love his offense.
    I'm ashamed of his defense.

DudeWah and Jontro like this.
  8. kevtse

kevtse Member

I dont love James Harden. Period.

CapelaOnlyFan and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

I've already pledged my undying love for Harden but Scottie Pippen was half right about him, James doesn't shut down with physicality he gets taken out of his game when he tries too hard to bait fouls and doesn't get calls. Down twenty in the third instead of taking over he's driving and kicking to some guy named booty. Get it together Jim

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tl;dr version

[​IMG]

:D:D

ryano2009, ISOBall and justtxyank like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Certain physical tools at best. He is strong and durable, but he isn't quick, explosive and super smart.

He isn't totally dumb on Defense as his Post D is good but he is relying on it too much.

He can't stay in front of faster players, that was clear, so coach puts him on bigger players or sturdier ones.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Now we have to pledge allegiance to certain players!? This is sports; you either rise to the occasion or you don't. I am a fan of whoever wears the Rocket's Red. I like some better than others. Most fans love grit, determination, and a never quit attitude. A high skill level is also greatly appreciated. Fans are elated at great performances and discouraged by poor ones. It is what it is.

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I love James Harden too. Literally wrote him a love letter too.

That said. There is no excuse for the way he's playing right now.

Last season, I could understand the burden of carrying a team full of role-players and nobodies, but Harden himself recruited Chris Paul for this very moment. Heck, even D'Antoni last night said in the timeout, "If you guys get tired, I'll get you out for a break, but you have to play hard."

There is no excuse left for Harden's lackadaisical effort. He won't exert energy in the most important playoff series of his life. What is he saving it for?

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

do you have full control of yourselves at all times?

15. justtxyank

First of all, he has been a better defender than Curry.

However, he DOESN'T have a key tool that Curry has. Curry is quick. Harden just isn't. I mean I wish he was, but he isn't.

Last night put Harden in his most vulnerable position: transition defender. When we shoot like crap the Warriors run. When the Warriors are running it gets Harden moving backward. That removes any chance he has on defense.

Our whole scheme is built around being efficient on offense and forcing teams into halfcourt offense where we switch. It minimizes Harden's exposure on defense. When teams run at Harden in transition he has no chance. He can't move his feet like that no matter how hard he tries.

SS0101 likes this.
  16. justtxyank

I just don't agree that he isn't exerting energy. I think we confuse missed shots for effort too much.

When we make shots the effort looks so much better and the defense looks better. The big difference though really is that when we make shots our opponent is playing half court offense against our half court defense. When we miss shots we are playing transition defense. Harden looks like a clown on defense in transition, no question about it. I just don't think it's a lack of effort.

The only "effort" criticism I have of Harden that I think is totally fair is that he won't move without the ball.

jeevinesh likes this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

This year, both James Harden and Chris Paul Legacies are on the other Line. The media are making fun of them and don't take them seriously. With the Harden funny defense clips, as a fan it is painful, to watch James just stroll with the ball dribble the ball at the 3 point line, goes to the basket for a layup and miss it while a foul not get called. James complains and talks to the referees, referees ignore him while he doesn't run back on defense. Challenging yourself on defense is what Jordan did sometimes pressuring the offensive player at half court. James really doesn't get it, its like he is on tip toes just strolling in circles.He doesn't watch any of Jordan games on offense or defense on how to create tempo on both ends. Chris Paul does it at times, but he is just injury prone and not playing well this series, he isnt helping the Rockets.

#17 rockets1995, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    deb4rockets and Jontro like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

that's like holding my science teacher to einstein's standard. unrealistic.

#18 Jontro, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Solid, we had grit and determination with Scola, Lowry, etc...and despite those attributes we kept on missing the playoffs.

We are too invested in this team and this series. Perhaps it is time to acknowledge the enemy is better at this than we are, despite everything MDA and the players can come up with.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Now, this is a post I can get behind. Many of y'all are some pathetic fair weather fans.

Rocket River likes this.