1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate to criticize JVG...BUT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blake, Mar 12, 2006.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

This season's math lesson:

Padgett > Bowen

JVG/CD get an "F" on their pop quiz.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

i was watching the pacers game at the uh rec center on the big screen and JVG put his bet Rybo in the game. The whole crowd who was watching the game started to BOOOOO and throw things at the big screen!!! even girls knew he sucked!

Rybo should just use that hall of fame hustle to cheer in the red alert section

3. terse

terse Member

People who say that RyBo contributes to the team are missing the point: sure he contributes, but then my young nephew could contribute too, at least in some small way. The point is, does RyBo contribute enough to be worthy of a roster spot in the NBA? The NBDL has no PF who plays defence and shoots better than 28%? I find that really hard to believe.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

actually, SA built their lead (down 4 to up by 7 (11 pt turnaround) before Bowen even came in ......when he left, SA was up by 8 .....Bowen's play had a huge impact to the tune of 1 whole point in the other team's favor

I can't believe a guy that had a plus/minus of -1 in 6 mins gets a 4 page thread after a loss

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Maybe, but you can't deny the guy has given us nothing this year. I don't know who decided that he was a good defender, but I just don't see it.

I was never comfortable with letting Padgett go and keeping Bowen. At least Padgett was an offensive threat. He actually won a few games for us last year. How many games has Bowen won for us this year?

6. codell

Well, in an ideal world, health wise, Padgett would have had little playing time regardless and JVG would probably have had Bowen inactive as the 13-15th guy on the roster.

The fact is, Ryan Bowen is not very good and is probably not going to help or hurt your team very much, as long as he plays in short spurts and spot minutes as a 10-12th guy.

I don't understand the hate for the guy when he clearly is not a key to our success and in the long run, on a healthy team, certainly doesn't hurt our chances of winning.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Codell,

Because Hayes can do the same things that Bowen does, and you have to guard him.

JVG is using Bowen to make a point, when he puts him in the game, he is telling the rest of the team...."Look, I have to play a scrub, because at least he is going to hustle".

This team has no enforcer, someone who forces the rest of the team to play harder.

Sura is missed more than any other player, more than Tmac, more than Yao....he was VITAL to last years playoff team.

And, more than anything, the Rockets lack that tough, take no prisoners, attitude that Sura conveyed.

DD

8. codell

As far as I know, Bowen and Hayes usually don't even play the same position, do they? Bowen is a 3 (the reason he plays more when T-Mac is out) and Hayes is clearly a 4 (if hes playing as a 3, then you are taking away all his strengths (inside work, reb, etc.).

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Bowen doesnt motivate the team. If thats all JVG has in the bag and cant motivate his team maybe he ought to look at getting some help, or just step down because he cant get the guys to play.

Does Bowen motivate you? To be honest, he's a useless player.... even Mark Madsen has more game than him.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The problem is Bowen doesn't really have a spot on this team IMO. He's too small and weak (like Fredo the Parrot) to play the 4. He's too slow and offensively ineffective to play the 3. Not to mention that he can't guard your average backup 3.

It's basically 4 on 5 on the offensive end. That's fine if he makes up for it on the defensive end (like Cato for example) but he doesn't. I'm just not sure why he's in our rotation.

In summary, he not a threat to score so teams can rotate off of him to double Yao with no problems whatsoever. He can't defend your average starting 3 (or your average backup 3). He's too slow and weak to rebound. So what exactly is his role on this team again?

11. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

1. shouldnt of put ryan bowen in the game cause he cant do anything on offense...his hustle to gain a possession or two is not worth the 6-7 trips down the court and the defense dont even bother guarding him and sit on yao's lap and we cant score...chuck hayes should of came in...

2. in the 4th i felt stro should of came in to guard duncan....howard wasnt having a good offensive game and he couldnt guard duncan...im not saying stro would of shut ducan either but he's more athletic and could move laterally better to stay in front of him...since howard was in the game we had to run at duncan with our guards to double and thats when the spurs guard started getting open looks..

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

So we can't refute teh notion that Bowen's play hurt Rockets only by 1 point, and allowed someone to take a breath?

Oh, just so be clear Here's what I said: Maybe we would still lost if Bowen didn't play. , not "maybe that we might not have lost if Bowen wasnt used". Don't be a jerk.

RyanBo comes in after Rockets missed 2 outside shots consecutively, one from a passout by Yao, another from a pass from RA to the coner. Both missed, but both are open shots. Yao wasn't posting up during the second shot.

First play RyanBo comes in, he entry-pass to Yao. His defender just ignores him, doubles Yao. Yao passes out to a wide wide open Bowen. He passes out the shot. Ball comes in from the top of key to Yao again, Yao ended up having to take a rushed shot.

Another entry-pass to Yao, bad spacing, his defender ignores him again. total disaster. Yao takes another bad shot.

After Finley scores on him, Bowen passes to yao, who is doubled by his defender. Yao passes out again. Another passed wide open shot.

@1:50, another pass and RyanBo cuts. The funny thing is, his defender never follows him. They totally ignores him and concentrates on Yao.

@1:20. Yao sits.

It's easy to say there's only 1 point difference while Ryanbo played. The truth is, all the open shots Yao created got wasted. Yao was more agressively doubled during that time. The Rockets played 4 on 5, and penetration wasn't there. It's not hard to imagine, the futile fighting, the bad shots and more aggressive double-team affect Yao's rythem, and the whole teams rythem.

While the first five minutes were quite bad, mainly because they missed shots, but they were at least keep Spurs honest. The 5 minutes RB was on the floor, was a disaster on another level. What could help Yao and the Rockets was more penetration and hitting some outside shots, someone step up - like in stretch of 4th quater - but not Ryan freaking Bowen. We could have done something while Yao was still relatively fresh. You don't compound a mistake by making another mistake while the clock is ticking against you. (in that sense, you can say that 5 minutes is worse than the first 5 minutes).

#72 michecon, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  13. verse

verse Contributing Member

i'm not a rybo fan. i think he is awful. however, i won't overlook the facts, and codell has pointed them out. in fact, i can see why jvg put him in the game. we were starting to get outhustled and playing sluggishly. jvg's response was to try to raise the energy level by putting in his "hustle player".

14. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

then why not chuck hayes...?

15. McGradySNKT

Bowen raises noones energy level. He has no skills. Noone hardly pays attention to him.

There is no point. He just sucks. He isnt a basketball player, he's someone who runs around the court.

Like the previous poster said, why ignore Chuck Hayes? He provides all of that and more. No other coach in this L is stupid enough to continue to insert a guy with such a lack of skills in the game so much.

16. McGradySNKT

BTW, this makes me wonder about all of that earn yor spot on the floor crap. Bowen sucks as bad as he did from day 1, and the far better player in Hayes, never gives half his heart, and he doesnt get in.

I hardly think Bowen outplays those guys in practice.

Not only that, but JVG's.. "I will play the players who gives us the best chance to win" speech was a fraud

17. verse

i honestly have no idea why rybo was in ahead of hayes. none. hayes, imo, is a MUCH better player.

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Why everyone complain Rybo's defense? I read somewhere that he completely shut down Dirk in the playoff last year. :confused:

19. verse

he started the game against dirk, true. however, it was tmac that shut dirk down, if you watched the game. tmac's performance in the playoffs last season was awe-inspiring.

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

then, if all of you can see this, why cannot JVG? Is it possible that JVG sees Rybo in himself, lives his dream via Rybo? :confused: