1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I hate to criticize JVG...BUT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blake, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Brunson had a very good game for someone who's only been here a short time. Came in and made an impact. Hell, I wish he'd played a bit more.

Totally agree about Ryan Bowen.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Bill Simmon would like to sue you for plagarizing.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good story. You left out the kid's girlfriend though. You know the one who will only play if his gf will get to play too. And you dont have a choice coz otherwise there would be no game.

Juwan is the gf.

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Even worse for the story, the kid is the one with the rock and he goes home, no game.

5. Mav-Hater

Who's Bill Simmon?

6. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I guess I am the only one who actually watched the game b/c all this criticising JVG for bringing in Bowen for a whopping 5 mins and 38 secs is stupid. JVG did this because he was pissed at the players lack of following the game plan in that 3rd quarter. None of them were trying to get Yao the ball. They were trying to play at the Spurs tempo and were rushing down the court taking shots early in the shot clock without looking for Yao at all.

JVG was sending a message to the players that if they were not going to get the ball to Yao then they would be sitting. I, for one like that. The guards need to quit going through lapses where they think they are the go to guys on the team! Yes, Ryan Bowan couldn't score 20 points in 20 minutes in a gym byhimself but at least he hustles and knows his role. He got the ball to Yao.

Same old story, after every loss it is JVG's fault :rolleyes: . Nevermind that he put together a gameplan that stuck with the Spurs til the end without T-Mac and then halfway through without D wesley. The Rox busted their asses and even though moral victories don't get you into the playoffs, it is good to see they competed and didn't fold and feel sorry for themselves that T-mac was out for probably the rest of the season.

Go Rockets! I still BELIEVE!

7. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Your right, Bowen does have a near complete lack of skills outside of hustling/defending... His insertion into the lineup in the middle of the 3rd quarter did allow the spurs another defender to double triple Yao, his inability to hit open jumpers are a further weakness. But while all this is true, your assertion that our loss was due directly to JVG inserting Bown in the 3rd quarter and thereby allowing the spurs to build a big lead we ultimately couldnt climb out of is absolutely wrong.

First of all, JVG inserting Bowen was not as you claimed "what allowed San Antonio to build a big lead." How do I know this? By watching he game and observing the score and time. The facts are JVG inserted Bowen in at the 6:52 mark of the 3rd quarter with the score 46 - 53 San Antonio ball. Thats a 7 point deficit. Bowen was then taken out at the 1:24 mark, score is 53-61 Houston Ball. An 8 point deficit but with Houston having the ball.

So, JVG inserting Bowen for 5:28 minutes in the 3rd quarter directly led to us gaining a possession and losing a point. In other words the effect of JVG's subbing in Bowen allowed the spurs to build their lead by 1. Now I'm not certain if to YOU, a 1 point deficit quantifies as a BIG Hole, one that cant possibly overcome in another quarter, but to me... its of little significance. In fact the whole 5 mintues Bowen played in was of little significance to the total game, except that it allowed some of our players to rest.

While I agree Bowen is awful and even offensive to watch on offensive, its probably even more offensive to pretend or assert that his playing 5 minutes in this game or most any other game is the direct and most glaring reason we win or lose.

More important IMHO to note is the fight every player put forth despite being shorthanded without T-Mac and to further add insult to injury, to Wesley.

Posted by: Not J

#47 room4rentsf, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

In the mean while, Yao wasted a lot of energy fighting for position, attracting double team, and the flow of the game changed. Look beyond the number.

9. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

roflmao :D :p

10. room4rentsf

lol so the flow of the game changed so much in that 5 minute period it casued us to lose the game??

please explain to me how that "flow changed" affected the game so much. In fact explain to me what flow change your exactly talking about?

In fact I would argue that the bigger "flow of the game change" started at the start of 3rd quarter, where we were outscored 15-4 in a span of 5:08. During this period, Yao made 1 of 2 shot attempts, was constantly doubled and for the most part not recieving or unable to get the ball. Again Bowen was not in during this span and the score at the end of the run was 46-53.

When Bowen did come in at the 6:52 mark down 46-53 it marked the end of the run. The rockets didnt do much better the next 5 minutes when bowen was in but atleast the spurs stop scoring also... for the next 5minutes or so Bowen was in the game, the Rockets scored 7 points the spurs 8 points.

To argue that Bowen's 5min was worst than the 5 minutes that began the quarter is idiotic, why? because the stats dont show it nor does the actual flow of the game. Especially when you take into account that Wesley's departure/injury occurred at the 9 min mark.

So please look AT THE NUMBERS and THE ACTUAL Game, and beyond your biases before making your arguments.

Posted by: not J

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Dude, I've never stated that 5 minutes is the decisive factor of losing the game. Get your facts straight.

I've however indeed said that 5 minutes is 5 minutes too many for Bowen. I've also said that a good coach should be able to tell his team how to play without using RyanBo as a tool. You don't believe 5 minutes of disjount play can affact the flow of the game? Fine, I'm not in particular mood to argue right now. (I'll start with this: amending mistake with another mistake makes bigger mistake, if you can figure that out). But get your facts straight.

#51 michecon, Mar 12, 2006
  12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

13. Panda

Panda Member

So according to some posters, JVG sent Rybo in because they weren't passing Yao the ball. How aobut this JVG, what happens when they get the ball to Yao with Rybo in the lineup?

Not passing to Yao > Rybo on the perimeter watching Yao getting double teamed when Rybo is guarded by his inability to shoot - the sixth defender.

It's not playing 4 against 5 with Rybo, it's 4 against 6.

14. Mav-Hater

Exactly the point of my story earlier. When you play 4 on 5 offense, you have to waste extra energy to make up for the missing offensive player. Did these 5 minutes change the game? Damn skippy they did. The fact they kept the score close with only 4 players playing offense is a tribute to the other 4 guys on the floor. Did the flow of the game change? Ah, who can say. Did 5 of Yao's 41 minutes get harder than they needed to be? Absolutely!

15. Mav-Hater

Good Call!!

16. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

if we only had padgett....i hate u cd. i hate u.

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

although i now shudder when bowen enters a game, fact is we had it down to 2 points a couple times and couldn't close the deal due some poor choices and shots by...the guards. any news flash here?

18. room4rentsf

You quoted my response to the original thread starter... that quote is in direct reply to the stance that bowen's 5 min costed us the game. In fact this whole thread is about how JVG using Bowen was a crucial mistake in the game... lol you yourself stated only maybe that we might not have lost if Bowen wasnt used.

But if you say thats not your point fine... Then lets just look at your point of "the flow of the game changed, yao wasted energy," etc. Explain to me how the 5 min he was in resulted in "disjoiunted play (which) affected the flow of the game." How were those 5 mintues worse than the preceding 5 minutes? Whats so special about the time Bowen was in. Explain to me how Yao was more tired and wasting more energy in those 5 minutes. So, what do you mean "the flow of the game changed" oh and look beyond the number!

posted by: not j

19. room4rentsf

Its debateable whether or not, the team and Yao expended more or less energy with Bowen in... fact is we dont know that answer as it is subjective. Was yao's minutes harder with bowen, maybe... they already were very hard without him. It wasnt like Yao only got double when bowen came in.. To me Yao's first 5 minutes of the quarter were much harder... why? Simply because the spurs were making a big run and I'm guessing being on the losing side of a run would drain you much more than playing even. But again... subjective.

Did those 5 minutes change the game? marginally Yes... in a negative way? yes by 1 point. In fact, you can argue with some merit that bringing in Bowen had a positive impact... one it marked the end of 15-4 run as we score 7-8 afterwards and secondly it gave players a chance to rest. Do I think this is due to Bowen, JVG's instructions, the TO breaking the spurs momentum, the players leveling off, conincidence? I'd Probably bet on the latter more than the former, but that doesnt negate the result.

With Wesley injured, tmac out what other guards would you play? You are aware players need to rest and cant play 48 mins each right? And by the way Brunson scored 10 on 4-7 shooting with 6 assist 2 TO and 2/3 3point shooting.

posted by: not j

#59 room4rentsf, Mar 12, 2006
  20. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

You guys are assuming that by complaining about how Bowen did in today's game, we are complaining just about one loss. Night in and night out, bowen is given minutes and he uses them to absolute waste. Look at his ****in statline for the ****in season-
    in 10 minutes- 1 point, 1 rebound, and thats about it. He will shoot 28% from the field.

Yea and the guy who brought the lil kid in the first place is like JVG. All makes sense now.