1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hurt and disgusted: Marcus Smart

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2018.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I have seen him plenty myself to know this already but listened to 2big Boston fans on a podcast recently talk about Smart and they said he absolutely leads the league in taking shots you wish he wouldn’t take. Has the confidence of an all star on offense but no where near the skills to back it up.

Pass.

saleem likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He's a pest. Reminds me of Bev, but much much more of a flopper. Also, he makes some boneheaded decisions in crunch time too. I think he's talented, but how much to pay a guy like that? I get why teams are reluctant.

A_3PO likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Similar to PJ Tucker last year, we got the NBA 2K stat watchers in here throwing out some truly terrible opinions concerning Marcus Smart.

The guy is a winner. We will never land him, but he would be a destroyer on this team.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

PJ has been a solid three point shooter from the corners for a couple of years. I'm not disputing that Marcus is a winner, I'm just saying he wouldn't fit our style of basketball.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He would fit our playoff style of basketball like a glove, IMO.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What's the market for Marcus?

Teams that tank the season for an inknown commodity? Not Smart.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...keep in mind the whole reason this situation exist is because of cap smoothing - guys who were FA when the cap jumped got OVERPAID and now the market is depressed leaving guys like Marcus Smart, Capela, and even Boogie to struggle to get any market leverage to drive their own prices up. So guys like Anderson and Batum are walking around wildly overpaid while better players who hit FA after the cap spike are struggling to get offers. If the cap hadn't jumped so high so quickly, then all teams would have had money for several years opening up markets for a lot of players hitting FA over time.

I get the argument from the player's perspective - why let the owners pocket that extra revenue over several seasons but they easily could have redistributed a portion of it in the form of a yearly decreasing "bonus"(coinciding with how much the cap would jump each year) to all the players in the league...but they didn't do that because the loudest voices at the table for the players association were all 2015/2016 FAs and now Kevin Durant is on the Warriors, and fast forward to today and really good players are getting very tiny offers now which put Demarcus FREAKING Cousins on the Warriors.

How can one team benefit twice from the same freaking mistake?

BigShasta and Jake Tower like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Man Celtics mgt are disgusting wonder why players still love going there.

francis 4 prez and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I still hate FLOPUS Smart

Rocket River

PhilCollins likes this.
  10. Rocket_Man_2.0

Rockets need to sign this guy...he can't shoot but his defense will stop Curry!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

MCW is already the cheap version of Marcus Smart 80% of the skills, 100% of the shooting touch at a fraction of the cost.

Williamson, BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

can he be one of mauri's big 6 backup plan?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True dat, they are really not that outstanding shooters.

roslolian likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Before this offseason got underway I was firmly in the camp that believed Smart would take his QO and be a UFA next summer. I am sticking to that.
    Of all of the players that were RFAs this is the one guy I felt would take the QO.

Vivi likes this.
  15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Keep this disgusting flopper away from my team

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The problem with taking the QO is Smart won't get 30 mins/game next season in a reduced role. Kyrie and Rozier are ahead of him at PG and depth will push Hayward and Tatum to play SG at times.

The Celtics tried to trade Smart last season because they tired of his boneheaded plays, which include idiotic fouls and TOs, not just poor shot selection. Kyrie's injury was a lifeline for the guy. IMO, Celtics will trade him before the deadline if he takes the QO.

Smart's grittiness on defense is right up Brad Stevens' alley but his lack of discipline (including defense) actually makes him a poor fit when you look at the whole picture.

Smart knows his goose is cooked on this very deep squad.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, that one takes me back.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Or that in today's league, if you can't defend after a switch AND shot >33% from the three, you just might be unplayable in the playoffs.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

What? Huh? Lol. There's a reason MCW's bounced around the league. Marcus Smart shouldn't even be compared 2 this scrub

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah, for years morey was talked about as a guy who treated guys like assets. danny ainge does it and he's just ruthless and smart, apparently. guy makes people like IT play hurt for months for the celtics and to help them in the playoffs, then casts him away so other people will take note of the injury and not pay him. marcus smart plays through all sorts of stuff for the celtics and is a fan favorite and ainge won't even talk. these guys need to call up mario elie and give him a basketball.

Invisible Fan, hakeem94 and roslolian like this.