1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how stupid is duncan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by brahma rocket, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

temujinphl,

I'm not sure you are being fair to my post. My argument is simply this:

If my favorite team throws away players such as Othella, Michael D., etc. etc. in the nature of running a business, why would any fan expect a player to operate under different motives (business). I'm not suggesting that they never will... I'm merely suggesting that it is not a requirement.

Again, what is the criteria for loyalty? A certain # of years on a team? Oh, his name was Matt Maloney. Championships? Oh, their names were Robert Horry and Sam Cassell. Don't give me bs about some player going above and beyond when the team that you're a fan of does not go above and beyond. It's a business, a successful one. Expecting players to act differently than management is both hypocritical and naive.

The same fans that glorify the fact that S. Anderson left the evil Jazz are the same ones that will be furious if Mobley were to leave. The same fans that praise Duncan's loyalty to the Spurs disregard the fact that C. Brown, a player that went above and beyond was cut by the Spurs. The only concern, of course, is what the overall impact will be to the team, right? Are you going to follow Devin Gray's career next year?

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

2. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

Achebe,

That is exactly the problem. As in my last post, teams nowadays are built on "parts" and not development. Yes management of a team is business, because the whole nature of the sport has changed since television money and free agency has almost ruined any chances for long-term dynasties being built. Team play isn't necessarily emphasized by NBA as you may know... it's individuals.

Now you are right when you say team management may trade players away for the possiblity of better players. You are right when you say that there is no standard against a worthy player may be measured by so that he may not be traded.

Chuckie Brown was traded even though he did his best for the Rockets and Spurs, but he didn't have a choice whether he would return or not. Now, Duncan does. Yes moving away from San Antonio would be the better decision. They are young, they have Hill, and now they may have McGrady, but doesn't trouble you that the way to win championships is to get away from the team as soon as starts to stink? Yes that may work for business, but was that what sport was supposed to teach us?

Take a look at the draft. That used to be viewed as the drawing of team saviors. Now it's been reduced to using picks as trading pieces. Yes there are exceptions, but compared to before? Not as much.

Maybe it sits well with you to start building teams by buying the best talent, but for me it doesn't. I rue the day professional sport has taught us that "When the going gets tough, lets buy some talent." Call me old fashioned, a purist, or out-of-touch, but loyalty is not taught in today's sport, and that bothers me a lot. Hey it's not a sport anymore. You're right.

It's business.

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu