1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how stupid is duncan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by brahma rocket, Jul 10, 2000.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The Mavs are classy?!?!?!

Well anyways I was hoping he'd bolt for Orlando. The less competitions there is in the MW the better it is for us.

------------------

2. PhiSlammaJamma

The Spurs are still at their peak. They were one injury away from winning the whole damn thing once again. Duncan is too close to another title to go to a middle of the pack team in Orlando. San Antonio makes plenty of sense. Plus there are no real Centers in our division. In Orlando he would be forced to contend with Ewing and Mourning.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

I never thought I'd see the day when someone would call "loyalty" ... crap. [​IMG]

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu

[This message has been edited by temujinphl (edited July 10, 2000).]

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

tema;lskdjf,

Loyalty to your friends is to be expected, loyalty in a corporate setting is naive.

Oh... where's Chucky Brown?

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I am NOT a Duncan fan nor a Spurs fans. I also found the fan knowledge level in SA seriously lacking in the Alamodome late last season when NO ONE for 10 seats in any direction had a clue who Steve Francis was. But I will give a mild applause to Duncan for staying. Mild because part of the decision is rooted in the fact he just does not like CHANGE (4 yrs @Wake). I stand with those who do not think his staying is stupid. Robinson will be a FA after this season and you can bet he has already told Duncan he will make concessions so the Spurs can retool.

------------------
    GATER

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Boy Achebe...

If you are a real Rocketfan and you see that Dream in his prime was thinking about leaving, I guarantee that your flute would be playing a different tune.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

7. Bobby

Bobby Member

Tim Duncan - this Bud's for you!

Thanks for restoring some semblance of integrity in a sport that's gone money mad.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I can't help but wonder if Grant Hill is having second thoughts now.

Props to Duncan for doing the "right" thing. Keeping the NBA competitive should help keep fans interested all across the country, not just in Orlando and LA.

------------------
    "When your dead, anything's funny."-John Lennon

9. Achebe

Almu,

(the appeal to the level of fanness didn't go unnoted [​IMG])

What is the criteria for loyalty? People pick and choose when they want to throw such a term around as if it means anything. We all applaud trades such as those that acquire Steve Francis, casting greats such as Antoine Carr and Brent Price out on their arses but dread those departures that are beyond our favorite teams' needs, or out of their control. I think it's fairly ridiculous. Fans essentially yell "do whatever I want you to"!

It all seems silly.

I used to work at Kennecott Utah Copper here in Salt Lake City. I quit for a higher paying job. The s@#$ hit the fan of course. Interestingly enough, KUC layed off 500 people two months after I left... including people that were angry with my departure, people that had appealed to my loyalty. What a f@cking joke.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 10, 2000).]

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'd bolt for Orlando if I were him. Being loyal is one thing but doing whats best for himself is the most important thing.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Frwak,
    I agree they may win the mid-west. But then they get beat in the second round by the Blazers or Lakers.
    Everything seemed to be in place to have a contendor in the east. Maybe Orlando still becomes the favorite with Hill & McGrady, but there was a relatively easy route to the Finals (as compared to the West and having to go through LA & Portland).
    Also if McGrady & Hill go to Orlando, Duncan stays in SA, maybe Eddie Jones to Chicago (?), then I begin to think someone will have some $$$ left for Mobley (Chicago or maybe Toronto).
    Also I heard SA would like to get Derek ANderson & may be working with the Clippers on a sign & trade, since SA only has 2.2 mil exception available.

------------------

12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

And how did the Spurs cheated on Duncan?

Loyalty doesn't always give you the greatest return, but neither does honesty nor selflessness, does that mean we should be unscrupulous and greedy people?

Don't knock the man for doing something good. You don't have to praise him, but you shouldn't call him stupid either.

...and i hope you were'nt calling me a
    moron , because you dont even know me, you dont know what grades i get, you dont know my stature...

brahma rocket, yet you call Duncan stupid???

What a "Me Me Me!!!" world that we live in. [​IMG]

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

FOUR FACTS

Shaq still has not proved that he can beat the Twin Towers. The Fakers did not win until Duncan got hurt.

San Antonio can pay him more money.

The city of San Antonio has catered to his every need (ex. building a new stadium).

When older free agents like Robinson retire, the Spurs will have plenty of capspace to go after people. This summer alone shows that others want to play with Duncan.

SOME OPINIONS

The Spurs will not suck next year. They will still have a dominating frontcourt, a savvy point guard, and nice role players. If they get D.Anderson from the Clippers and Elliott stays (he can still play great D against SF's and SG's), they would be my favorites to win it all.

It takes chemistry to win a title. You just can't throw talent together and expect them to win. Remember Dream, Barkley and Drexler? Did they win? Dosen't that line-up sound better than Duncan, Hill and McGrady? Remember the 90's Houston Oilers? Has any football team ever had more talent than those teams possessed? The Spurs already know how to play together.

Unless you have M.J. on your team, you need a dominant big man to win a title. To beat Shaq and L.A., you need a few. Duncan in Orlando has no big man by his side to check the big whatever. What's the point of dominating a confrence if you can't win in the Finals.

Overall, I like Duncan in S.A. If the Rockets can't win a title, at least another Texas team will have a shot.

------------------

14. Achebe

MoonBus,

that was actually a quote in defense of Barkley...

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This keeps the West from possibly being dominated by the Lakers for at least one more year. I think had Duncan been healthy, LA would have had no answer for them. SA matches up particularly well with the likes of the Lakers.

I would have loved to have seen Duncan and Hill on the court together, but oh well!

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

16. wink3

wink3 Member

One little fact: Tim's GPA through 4 years of college was 3.95 on a 4.0 scale. (source:SLAM magazine)
    Betcha' didn't know that Brahma.

------------------
    Casa ole! Fresh today!every DAY!OLE!!!

17. Achebe

wink3...

but he was a psychology major [​IMG]

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

18. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

My bad... [​IMG]

19. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Hmmm....some interesting takes.

Yes, the Spurs are looking at 'retooling right now'.

Here's a way to think about it...the Spurs
    make the push to win a title before Duncan
    becomes a free agent instead of tearing
    up the team and rebuilding around Duncan.

SA hasn't yet had it's chance to retool.

That is where this and more importantly
    next summer come in.

They'd love to get a good perimeter FA
    in a sign and trade or sign for one year
    at the exception and get the payday next
    summer.

They want Derek Anderson and Derek Anderson
    apparently wants the Spurs (and Tracy McGrady
    wants everybody).

They have been talking to Eddie Jones and
    he is interested in SA, though obviously
    it would have to take a significant S&T deal
    to get him the money he commands.

The Spurs are moving to get younger this
    summer. They already have young role players
    such as Daniels, Walker, and Rose. They will
    look to add more this summer and the next.

Were they old last season? Yes. But that is
    changing.

The Spurs aren't going to stay 'old' forever,
    that is the one thing that always cracks me up.

Of course, when your best player is also
    your youngest player, things aren't so
    bad.

I think that short term the decision made
    sense for Duncan. He is a NBA 4, not a 5.
    He is much more effective as a 4. As for
    long term, Orlando looked good becuase they
    had made their rebuilding efforts. SA was
    busy trying to compete for a second title.

Long term, we shall see. It all hinges,I
    feel, on SA's ability to find that second
    superstar to complement Duncan once DRob
    retires in 3 to 5 seasons.

The thing is, the Spurs will make the
    changes to improve the roster and with a
    new arena which will provide a nice bump up
    in revenues, the new labor agreement, and
    cap space next summer and perhaps the year
    after that, they will be in good shape.

Honeslty, this decision was temepered by
    loyalty, but it wasn't as terrrible of a
    bball decision as a lot of people have
    made it out to be.

But loyalty is nice.

------------------
    It's a cool site, this clutchcity.net

20. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

Achebe,

You're right... team unity means nothing. Going to where the money is, and rebuilding team chemistry from scratch is more important.

NBA fans nowadays consider building championship teams like buying "parts" to build the perfect machine. The mentality is, this team is past its prime. I need to go one and do what's best for ME. Who cares about the fans I played for? I can always find new ones. Besides, the money is great, and they got good players, even though I've never played with any of them before.

But the money is great! Right?

It's always about the money. Let's hide behind terms like "respect" and "winning chances". Loyalty is crap in the corporate setting.

Why is something missing? If you can't find out what, well... you're missing a lot.

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu