1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How should China compensate the deceased?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Mar 17, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

THIS. China is too dangerous. We need our own medicines and essential supplies made in the USA. Hell we paid for the most research on drugs, and we shouldn't have to worry about where it comes from. We definitely couldn't go to war with China because we'd have no supplies.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Could give AF. I care about holding China accountable. That will need to be done.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump is a dumbass - same as his supporters.

DD

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows China screwed up in multiple ways. Does that make them legally liable for US citizens deaths - no! They aren't a corporation, they are a sovereign foreign gov't and US laws do not apply to them. We have NO recourse. What is done is done by them and it's too late to put the genie back into the bottle.

The whole effort to blame China is just to deflect from Trump's ongoing failures here at home. So yes, that is relevant to the discussion because when the thread exists as a means to protect the President, then his failures are germane to the topic.

And he continues to fail and deflect. That's the real problem. He needs to fix this.

pirc1 likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The virus would have still come here. I mean everyone wants to blame someone else.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sentiment isn’t because of the virus. It’s the vulnerability in our economic system that the virus “unmasked”.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You just described the GOP position for the last 50 years....well done.

DD

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

We had that chance with TPP. Why didnt you support that?

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It would have likely boosted corporate powers beyond where they need to be. Also not at all comprehensive enough to reign in China. We need a new organization like NATO in order to militarily and economically cut off China. Like a Pacific Treaty Organization? Or just a general expansion and redirection of NATO into the new paradigm as this has to do with reigning in communism at the end of the day.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How would it have boosted corporate powers? That's very strange to say given it was a nation based agreement. Sounds like exactly what you were seeking. TPP would have moved the supply chain from China to other countries as well as improved US exports

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't agree and it is hard to argue about this failed piece of the Obama era because it was a long time ago. I seem remember concluding that it was far too advantageous for corporations. It has to do with their ability to sue nations and such. Now if you want to get into the details go ahead but you'll be arguing with yourself since I really don't care about a failed deal that isn't what I want in place now anyway. I want a military treaty and full isolation policy beyond anything the TPP could have accomplished. China needs to be treated like the Soviet Union and we need to admit we are in cold war and to fully commit to it from a formal standpoint.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It was actually Trump that killed it, not Congress. So it's weird you put it under Obama.

TPP did have many protections for copyright and intellectual rights - but this is needed as we have seen how much China has cheated the US in this area. So yes, TPP would have in theory allowed companies to sue but really wasn't aimed at the US but rather preventing China's behavior. And that was one provision.

A cold war with China would hurt our economy deeply. Keep in mind that while Trump talks tough with China in public, he cozies up to them privately and has extensive business dealings there. He will never come down hard on China from a policy perspective, just like he doesn't with Russia as it would hurt his personal business.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just going to remind everyone that while the PRC was hurt by the trade war we were hurt even more. The Trade Deficit the last year increased while US farmers were hurt badly enough that they needed to be bailed out. The Phase one trade deal was at most a truce and with Covid 19 it even gives the PRC an excuse to back out of the modest terms of the Phase One trade deal. For everyone counting on Trump to get tough on Trump he is the guy who is pretty much losing the trade war.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If everyone in this country is willing to pay 30-50% more for most things, we could probably move some products back to the US. However, I have a feeling the people who are living from pay check to pay check would not want that to happen, that is probably close to 30% of the country.

Another point, if other countries are making things cheaper, US companies will not do well if their production cost goes higher. Don't forget that China is the biggest market for most of the consumer products now as well.

It will not be easy to completely change the supply chain, I am sure there will be changes and some key products will be produced here again, how many, we shall see.

15. Senator

Senator Member

It wouldn't even be close to 20%.... quit throwing out obscene numbers.

The initial hit would be close to 10-15% and start to get lower once the new countries, processes and factories streamline. Certain corporations like Apple will still produce their glass there and get huge profits on premium products, but the trillions going to crappy products can easily be diverted.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I was talking about moving products back here, not to Vietnam or India.

17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You seem to be in bent up rage. It happened. Let's talk about how to mandate serious prevention for next time instead of irrational complete hate. It's not like the PRC has some kind of Devine superiority complex of its people based on race and or ethnicity and is trying to forceably dominate the world by wiping out millions so it can garnish themselves...

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Just ask them why the TransPacificPartnership was bad, and how Trump's new trade agreements are better.

19. Senator

Senator Member

While the purchasing power of the nation would decrease, the amount of money coming in would increase. You also have more streamlined and efficient supply chains. 20% is a stretch.

20. Senator

Senator Member

I take it you are happy and pretty relaxed about the virus killing off large chunks of people while putting others out of work? Maybe stoned and intoxicated as well? If you can't handle adult conversation, don't waste the time of people who do.

This is absolutely about prevention for next time based on the last 4 viruses to come out of China. They keep letting the same thing happen again and again and we oblige due to $. How you are pretending to not see that , or just too low on the intelligence field to get that, and blaming racism is another reason why guys like Trump (who I did not vote for) get elected. Too obsessed with poltical correctness, too afraid to see and discuss the facts.