1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many hours a week do you work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshfast, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

.....And what field do you work in. I'm starting a job that averages 50+ a week and it's sorta scaring me - everyone I have talked to that has worked in this position talks about getting burned out pretty quickly. I would kill for a 9-5 job right about now. So let me hear your fields and hours so I can go apply to them in a couple months. :p

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I work about 50 hours a week as well. I'm in the stock market arena (hedge fund industry). I have to work these long hours cause otherwise Competitor X will be better than me and my firm. I average about 2-4 hrs of sleep a night. Yea, I'm looking to croak around age 50.

3. Isabel

Isabel Member

I really have no idea, given the nature of my job. As long as I'm not actually in class or office hours, I can do my prep work on my own time, so I don't keep a log of it. I'm on campus often for 12+ hours on weekdays, but a lot of that is doing recreational stuff (working out, clutch bbs, practicing piano, avoiding going home...). And then I sometimes do the actual work at home after that.

I do think the recent trend of 50 and 60+ hour work weeks is not good. That should not be considered "normal" in any field. There is more to life than that.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I used to work 84 hours a week. Ahhh the good old days. :)

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I work from home, and when I feel like it... Is say that, but I actually work longer hours and harder at home then I ever did in the office... never knew my worst boss ever would be myself :eek:

6. super_mario

super_mario Member

It's 4 AM and I just finished a presentation that I will give at 9 AM.

I don't keep track of how many hours I work but I am not physically in the office for more than 40 hours per week.

7. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

IB???

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have good news for you. Its only 3AM CST.

9. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Right now, I'm working as a nanny for 2 6yo girls for 60 hours a week. Next week when school starts, I'll be a TA/Aftercare Director for 40 hours a week.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I work in finance for my company and I am on salary. So, at least 40 hours a week, but most of the time it is around 45-50. And of course, I get no compensation for the first 5 hours past 40. :mad:

11. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Are you a chemical or petroleum engineer by any chance?

12. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

i work at an oil company's corporate office 45 hours a week...well at least until friday i do haha

13. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Work about 40 hours a week. I don't want my life to be about working. I still save money simply by cutting costs otherwise. I just live on very little and enjoy my free time with broadband internet, reading books, taking walks, etc, or meeting with friends.

Annoying thing is that when they get jobs (most are students), they will start doing more expensive things that I will want to join in on. Then there's also the chance of getting a job in which you have no choice of working less than 60 hours... I've had them. You have to make money somehow. Also, a family... kids! Yikes. Must be expensive.

I really do want to avoid getting used to living on a high budget, it's just annoying. I don't want to work more than I have to, unless it's a job that actually does something useful. That's why I've decided to pretty much live on as little as I can (with a few things I like), and if I eventually get another job in which I have to work many hours I will suck it up and do it. Just think it's dangerous to get caught up in a cycle where you work so much that life just isn't that enjoyable.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Minimum of 40, usually 45.

I'm in IT Security (during the day....everyone knows what my night job is).

I cannot tell you where I work. If I did, I would have to kill you.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On one job I work an average of 55-60 hours a week. That is for eight and a half months a year. The other three and a half months I work about 12 hours a week on that job, and about 20-30 hours a week on a different job. It depends on the weeks though.

If I didn't have the 3 months of break time I couldn't do it.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, I use the side door - that way my boss can't see me, after that I sorta space out for an hour. I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

40 hours. 7:30 to 5:30 from Mon to Thur. 7:30 to 11:30 on Fri, woohoo!

18. yobod

yobod Member

My job usually ranges from 45-65 hours a week, and the funny thing i dont mind putting in those hours. But yet again, im still young and have no family yet, so i guess work will be my life :p

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Da-uh? Space out?

I work my day job for 40 hours a week. I used to push 70 hours a week for a lot more money (manager at a rental car office), but I didn't have a life and I was miserable. Now that I actually have time for my night job, the money I make from it makes up for the money I made working all the extra hours.

Plus, my night job is much more fun than renting cars. ;)

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

40 hours.

7-3:30 M-F