1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Yao at threes, exactly?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by andyacecandy, Mar 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member

He has a great touch... I'm wondering.... maybe implement the three ball into his game? How sick would this be?

I know it'll never happen, but does anyone know how good his 3 ball is?

2. subzor

subzor Member

not sure, u know how good artest is at full court shots? or wafer at 5 point shots?

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Maybe we can trade him for Memet Okur if you want a good 3 shooting center.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's good enough to make 2 every 7 years.

5. Gourami

Gourami Member

Yao's clutch play has been widely blamed, why not let him shoot 3 at clutch as one strategy so others can rebound if it fails(better chance)?

6. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

He was decent at the 3's in the CBA.

7. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

So... you want to take possibly the best one-on-one post player in the league... and put him on the perimeter? The man is a decent shooter, but in an in-game setting I can't possibly imagine him hitting better than 20%. Just look at his shooting in the 12 to 20 foot range (hint: it's not that good), and that should tell you all you need to know about this idea.

8. rckt24

rckt24 Member

He could probably shoot uncontested threes better than most centers but it would be completely pointless for him to be out there because he shoots such a high percentage inside and also gets other better shooters open threes when he gets double teamed.

9. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

I heard that Aaron said Yao hit treys in practice quite often,maybe he's not allowed to do that on the court except when forced to shoot the ball. ;)

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

HAAAAYEEELLLLL NO.

..... Just bench him for Brian Cook. :rolleyes: :D

11. tfvic

tfvic Member

guys... this man is a sharp shooter from behind the arc, just someone inconsistant when pressured to do so... i was the ball boy for the rockets last year in the 07-08 season, and hours before the game he stokes it... that would be amazing to add that to his game in real game situations, but he is much more EFFECTIVE in the post, but they really should give it a try! i can see it now.... THE ULTIMATE CENTER IN THE NBA! :)

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'm still hoping that Adelman encourages Yao to play away from the basket a little more next season and to look for his mid-range shot. I know he hasn't been very effective from that area, statistically, but I still believe he would start drilling those at a good rate if he were to keep shooting them with confidence. We could run pick and rolls with Lowry/Yao and Brooks/Yao all day if Yao added that to his game. It would completely change the dynamic of our offense. Yao would be almost unguardable. I think it would also reduce Yao's turnover rate because he wouldn't be spending quite as much time on the low post where opponents continue to double Yao and strip the ball from him.

13. ibm

ibm Member

i think yao should add the midrange j to his arsenal in the 2nd half of his career. a lot of bigs did. won't be too bad if adelman draws a play or 2 so he shoots an open 3 a couple of times. his % is in the mid 50's, eh? 40% 3's are essentially 60% 2's.

14. mr.xin

mr.xin Member

can you help me to find a job like you did last yr? appreciate if you did that, i would like to help you to find a jod as a headcoach for exchange :D

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yao already has a hard time hitting open mid-range jumpers. He hardly ever takes those anymore anyway. I think shooting threes are out of the question until he starts hitting those with regularity. It would open up his game tremendously, but he just hasn't had much success with the jumper.

16. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

i think he should shoot more 3s

17. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Yao was 1 of 5 from the Corner when the Rockets had an Open Practice.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Watch him in the opening minutes of USA v. China. That should answer your questions. :)

19. cshen

cshen Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qgPI5r2Nmk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qgPI5r2Nmk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
    fail.