1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How Dražen Petrović won Houston the 1994 NBA title and why Kevin McHale will repeat the success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Croatian Sensation, Aug 24, 2013.

?

Will Kevin McHale win a title as a Houston Rockets head coach?

1. Precisely

19 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Indeed

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Who cares, I <3 WNBA and Elena Delle Donne

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. This is a lovely thread

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I dragged on and on with posting this topic because, frankly, I was worried it might get swamped with Lin discussions and other unimportant stuff. The title is a litttle bit sensationalistic, as it should be, but I'm glad I can offer some fun trivia to ClutchFans:

1. For the 20th anniversary of Dražen's death, his brother Aleksandar (now a basketball coach, also a former head coach of my hometown club) recently revealed on Croatian television that, in 1993, Dražen, then a free agent and an All-NBA Third team member, had offers from 4 different teams - New Jersey, New York, Houston and Panathinaikos (Athens). Although the American media suggested that he might return to Europe where he was regarded as a basketball genius, Aleksandar said Dražen was more open to staying in the NBA, but not with New Jersey. Dražen was enraged by not making the All-Star team in 1993 and wanted to prove himself one last time on the big stage, but he thought the Nets didn't have a clear direction and he wanted to win now, much more than later.
    So, if Dražen wasn't killed on that dreadful rainy day in Germany, and after eliminating Panathinaikos and New Jersey, it seems like Houston or New York was his next destination. Oddly enough, those teams met each other in the NBA Finals the following year (we all know who won that contest ;)) and Dražen Petrović would've more than likely been on the winning side. His sharpshooting would either push New York past the Rockets or have Houston win in less than seven games.

2. Rudy Tomjanovich (originally Tomjanović) is a Rockets' legend and the only coach to bring Houston an NBA title. Two, to be exact :cool:. It's also fair to mention that he's a son of Croatian immigrants. Interestingly, current Rockets' head coach Kevin McHale also has family ties to Croatia - his mother's name is Josephine Patricia Starcevich (Starčević), and both of her parents were immigrants from the beautiful town of Split (the birthplace of Toni Kukoč and Dino Radja, among others).

History repeats itself, fellas, and it's safe to say a Croatian will once again bring glory to the city of Houston. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The title, did you mean Morey rather than Mchale? Mchale is just a hologram created by Morey's computer.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Welcome back OHMSS.

1 person likes this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Is Tiago Splitter's family from Split?

2. McHale got his height and long arms from the Croatian side of the family, I bet.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I did appreciate the sentiment of this thread, even if it's a little crazy.

So it's option D in the poll for me. :)

7. Croatian Sensation

He isn't the only guy on the board to know something about international basketball, and I'm Croatian, so yeah :eek:

1. Unfortunately no, he's Jewish-German.

2. And a long dick, I bet. :cool:

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Claiming that European talent is better than NBA talent does not constitute as knowing something about international basketball. Thats what OHMSS did. Glad to see you are not sensationalist as he is haha. :)

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HLlPtBsGbYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Croatian Sensation

Meh, from reading his posts I noticed that he does follow European basketball and sometimes has good insights, but all of it is shadowed by him acting as a know-it-all and as if he's better than everybody here. He says outrageous stuff just to gain other people's attention and then argues till the world ends. Or until he's banned.

Scionxa, Once Brothers is a good documentary, but it's told only from Vlade's point of view and he presents himself as a great, humble guy. He's quite disliked here in Croatia for openly supporting Serbian aggressors during the war and stomping on our national flag.
    Great video, btw:
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c4TsDb7Stsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p

11. Progs

Progs Member

Larry Bird or Ray Allen can't hold a candle to Petrovic's jump shot.
    Reggie Miller~ Drazen Pettovic is the best shooter I ever play against.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I just want to take moment to remind everyone to always buckle up! It should be a second nature as soon as you get inside the car. Muscle memory. You should not even have to think about it.

Drazen was sitting and sleeping on the passenger side of a VW Golf with no seat belts on.

His gf, who was driving, is leading a normal life today. I suspect she had her seat-belts on.

Ok...carry on.....

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

the 30 for 30 with Petrovic and Divacs was one of the best.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Had Drazen had his seat belt on and became a Rocket, he'd probably be Lin's master right now teaching him how to shoot.

The downside is we probably never trade for Drexler and don't win the second title, and (in other unimportant stuff) Drexler never becomes part of our broadcast crew.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm a bit lost trying to follow the original post?

If McHale dies before the season starts, Rudy T will coach us to a championship?

Or is there some kid in Croatia who is going to die in a car crash, and then McHale will coach us to victory?

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Why do you know who Elena Delle Donne is?

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

And starting a thread with this poll.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I doubt they would have done it, but I'd have still done that trade and played Clyde at SF, the nba could suck on my Hakeem, Horry, Clyde, Drazen, Smith/Cassell small ball lineup, it would have been like some sort of godlike version of what golden state are trying to do.

#18 Aleron, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  19. Croatian Sensation

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...shed-dreams-broken-passenger-article-1.948653

At approximately 5:20 p.m., they encountered a truck that had crashed through the guard rails and was blocking all lanes of traffic. According to the police, the truck driver got out of his vehicle to try to warn oncoming traffic. But it was too late. Szalantzy's attempt to turn away from the truck left Petrovic most vulnerable on impact.
    Petrovic, who was sleeping, flew out of the front window. His head hit the truck's diesel tank and he died instantly. Edebal, who is 6-2, wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was crushed in the back seat.

Yeah, that was a poor choice of words on my end. McHale has the chance to win a championship because of his similar pathways with Rudy.
    Dražen would just be a cherry on top of the 1994 title run.

Why shouldn't I? :)

20. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I remember this game. Petrovic was a bad dude. Its to bad his life was cut so short.