1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does an Arenas buyout impact our trade outlook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 16, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How does a voided Arenas contract impact our trade outlook?

Edit: changed buy out to voiding of contract

If Arenas's contract is voided (seems likely) and is allowed to play later in the season (less likely?), he becomes a guy teams could pick up for cheap to be that playmaker/scorer. And he's actually played significant minutes this season, so teams know what he can contribute. For the Rockets to give up McGrady on the other hand, they'd likely demand something more than just an expiring deal. They want an asset in return.

Now, why would any team logically trade for McGrady and give up a valued asset when they could just sign Arenas for cheap?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12326/arenas-to-knicks-walsh-says-wait-and-see

[rquoter]
    NEW YORK -- At nearly the exact same moment that Avery Johnson went on ESPN's "NBA Shootaround" show Friday night and demonstrably raised the possibility of the New York Knicks making a push for Gilbert Arenas, that very same topic was a matter of discussion between myself and Knicks president Donnie Walsh.

And although Walsh didn't exactly endorse the notion, he certainly didn't dismiss it.

"I don't know if he's available, and I don’t know if he’s going to be able to play. There are a lot of questions, and we’ll have to see as time passes what the story is, but I know this: When I had guys in the same situation, I traded all of them," Walsh said.

The difficulty of the Wizards finding a taker in an Arenas trade was heightened by the events of Friday afternoon when Arenas pleaded guilty to a felony gun possession charge, and Judge Robert E. Morin scheduled sentencing for March 26.

Arenas remains suspended indefinitely, but commissioner David Stern will eventually have to decide how long of a punishment fits the crime. A 50-game suspension would have the effect of wiping out the possibility of Arenas returning this season, but a less severe suspension (my early guess was 30 games, and I'm sticking with it) would allow for Arenas to return to the court this season. And with the relationship between Arenas and the Wizards organization seemingly headed toward a divorce, the most palatable option for Washington would be to try to find a team willing to trade for the three-time All-Star who has four years and $80 million remaining on his contract -- but who will have sat out the majority of the past two and a half seasons.

[/rquoter]

It seems to me that whether Arenas is allowed to play again this season can be a limiting factor in our trade options with McGrady.

#1 durvasa, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IMO I think this will impact any potential trades for McGrady only with teams that sees McGrady as a piece that could help them in the playoffs. Teams that will be dealing for McGrady only for his expiring contracts won't have a dire need for Arenas.

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Lets just hope he won't be allowed to play this season at all.

Sorry just being a selfish Rockets fan :)

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Most teams looking to trade for Tmac are interested in the contract, not the player. Arenas becoming available does not affect this.

5. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

Because Tracy McGrady comes with a HUGE expring contract which makes teams to re-build or fix their financial problems easily.

It's not like everyone is jumping on T-Mac bcause they think he's still the best player out there with Kobe.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sheriden made no mention of a possible contract termination that everybody seems to be hinting towards. That is clearly the best and most feasible option for moving Arenas as NOBODY will touch the remaining 4 years/$80M that he's owed. If this Arenas situation has any bearing on the McGrady trade market it's going to revolve around the Wizards being able to simply "erase" their mistake. Does he know something that we don't?

1 person likes this.
  7. durvasa

Good point.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

why have you determined that a man with four years left on his contract will be bought out?

He may be traded, but I would seriously doubt he'll be bought out.

and btw, i think the realization that his contract can't be terminated makes caron butler in play. (although i personally don't like butler)

9. steddinotayto

I think the assumption here is that both parties have felt betrayed by one another that reconciliation is pretty much impossible.

Arenas did his team a disservice by bringing in four guns into the lockerroom and because of this whole fiasco

Wizards did him a disservice by actually trying to find out if they can void his contract due to the felony charges dropped on Arenas.

If I were Arenas I'd shoot myself in the foot with one of my four guns for being an idiot but I would also have to wonder why my team hasn't spoken publicly about whether or not they were supporting me. It might sound ridiculous but the Wizards were a bit too quiet during the whole ordeal as if they didn't want to **** any possibility of getting out of Arenas' contract.

IMO, if they can't get the contract voided, buying Arenas out is the most logical step. Take a small hit now ($30 mil) to avoid a long and awkward and expensive hit later ($80 mil owed).

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

If Arenas is bought out, does that mean the Wiz are responsible for paying out the entire contract?

What in the hell were the Wiz thinking when they signed him for that much $$$? He's good, but he's not THAT good.

11. studogg

the financial implications of a buyout are not a "small hit now"

Washington is trying to play hardball, but the reality is that they have there backs to the wall.

12. durvasa

I made a mistake in the original post. When I wrote "buy out", I was just thinking voiding of contract. Though I suppose it could be either.

My fault.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He pulled a gun on someone. Even with a guaranteed contract that is grounds for termination.

14. steddinotayto

Would they rather just keep Arenas for the duration of his contract when they know good and well trading him is almost an impossibility?

15. studogg

from my understanding, the wiz will not be able to void his contract out. this will likely be a point of contention in the offseason and gil will have yet another rule made because of him.

but to answer your question in a hypothetical world. very little.

teams are not going for tracy for the player, but for the contract.

what it would do is take butler off any trading table.

#15 studogg, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Washington are trying to void the contract. A buyout doesn't make sense until they fail to void the contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4829508

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I agree his actions cost the Wizards millions and the league punished him and as the result the Wizards suffer from it. Is that fair? I thought his contract was void though.

18. studogg

yes. he will be tradable in the future. the figurative "smoke will clear"

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It depends upon whether or not the contract is voided.

Then I could see the Wizards starting over by trading Jamison and Butler for someone like Tmac...and just starting completely over.

It would be good for us....IMO to get those two players.

DD

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

1.) I think he sees jail time and doesnt end up playing this season at all.
    2.) I think the players union will fight tooth and nail to keep his contract intact.