1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houstonians, don't like the constant threat of flooding?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Senator, May 10, 2019.

1. Senator

Senator Member

You can make things better for everyone by

1. Driving less, preferring electric vehicles to F-150's
    2. Voting for public transportation
    3. Cutting out all forms of meat and milk that aren't grass fed. If that makes meat too expensive, eat less of it .. plenty of protein in whole grains, legumes and vegetables.

https://newfoodeconomy.org/meat-dairy-greenhouse-gas-emissions/

[​IMG]

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Wouldn't you be more comfortable blaming minorities?

snowconeman22 and IBTL like this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

Blame goes where it is deserved. When racists support Jussie Smollet, they should be called out.

If that offends you, you are part of the problem!! Now help us all out and eat less cr$# ..

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Perfect, no reason for Houston to exist, boycott oil and food!!!

Uh, no thanks

rockbox likes this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Can we just send saints and cowboys fans home

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I bought flood insurance for the first time last year. Cheaper than depending on Fema.

CometsWin likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, how much added a month was it for the coverage in the Houston area? If you dont mind...

MiddleMan likes this.
  8. MiddleMan

I paid $475 per year, not in a flood zone. But live close to San Jancito River. Close to Cotsco in humble.

ima_drummer2k and donkeypunch like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

It’s pretty simple, there’s too much concrete. I can look at a map and see the solution; we need more reservoirs in far west and northwest to hold upstream water. We need more detention ponds within the city.

It would be a great opportunity to create a network of parks/green belts that double as reservoirs.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

all these problems stem from over-population. We need to collect all infinity stones and give the gauntlet to a trust worthy person... my suggestion bobbythegreat. Im turning into ashes as I speak

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That area is the perfect example of what not to do. They're clearing out that whole part of Townsen and pouring concrete. The Costco and Main Event (and Target on the other side) were a big part of the reason it flooded so badly during Harvey.

I don't have flood insurance. I figured if I didn't flood during Harvey, I would probably never flood. But Tuesday night was a wake-up call for me. Probably going to add it as soon as these storms are gone.

MiddleMan likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Houston will never learn.

13. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

The Electric Car Fallacy is...well, a fallacy.

The electricity to power those cars has to come from somewhere. Right now that would mean plugging a significant amount of vehicles to the existing power grid, so you'd be draining those resources requiring more power which comes primarily from fossil fuels.

Solar, wind, geothermal & tidal could not supplement an entire Texas-worth of electric vehicles. If one really wants that then the best option for more power is to buck all recent energy trends and go with more nuclear.

I would personally love to see more public transportation in the form of trains; but it can't be on the existing METRO models I have seen. We'd need heavier, elevated rail coming in from Katy, Cypress, Kingwood, Sugar Land, Pearland, etc. to take those cars off of the system. Yes, that does mean that we need more light rail inside the city; but those should be elevated as well.

snowconeman22, CCity Zero and ryan_98 like this.
  14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

A lot of people said similar things before Harvey re: the other bad floods we had.

I don't think the city's drainage in neighborhoods has recovered from Harvey. At least mine hasn't. We flooded in Harvey with the dam release, but last night a street over had 3-4 feet of water and was impassable. That street never flooded with rainwater before Harvey. I suspect the city needs to come back out and re-flush out the drains and sewers.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Get out of here with your realistic thinking!! My car runs on electricity and that electricity comes from the outlet, and not fossil fuels but the outlet!!!

Not serious, I also don't own an electric car... But hahah, I've also tried to explain this and you get this look like... either a light bulb was turned on, or one blew up.

Yes to mass transit, and I'm all for alternative energies, but we're not there yet (unless talking nuclear power, and that's a big no no, unfortunately....just like you mentioned)

#15 CCity Zero, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  16. dmoneybangbang

Electric cars would move the pollution from where the people are to where they aren’t. Natural gas is better than coal as a temporary power source.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FWIW, I live in Montrose and I have not flooded in the 15 years I've owned my house.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Being a Millenial equals less rain? :confused:

19. MiddleMan

The Townsend area by the new middle school will be part of HOV lane to HWY 99. I don’t know the time frame for the construction.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you get banned from D&D