1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoopsDaily] Deja Vu: T-Mac Receiving Same Treatment as Tim Hardaway Once Did From Ad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Dec 28, 2009.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

http://www.hoopsdaily.com/content/d...-same-treatment-tim-hardaway-once-did-adelman

Not long ago, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming were the faces of the Houston Rockets franchise, delighting fans with their great talent and skills. However, a series of unfortunate injuries has forced T-Mac to often finish the season as spectators, watching his teammates from the bench.

As a result, fans have lost faith in McGrady, and the Houston Rockets have moved on to other personnel. Trevor Ariza, who was first thought to be a replacement for Ron Artest, has provided Rick Adelman with the ability to no longer play McGrady. The former All-star has been sent home, and is no longer traveling with the team. As a result of this decision, it looks like Rockets fans won't be seeing a lineup of Battier, Ariza, and McGrady on the floor together anytime soon:

"I said all along I want to see where he fits," Adelman said. "Coming back from an injury (Micro Fracture knee surgery) like that, it's obvious he's not Tracy we knew two years ago. He knows that. What I'm trying to figure out is where we can best get him in the rotation where he can have a positive effect on the team."

Adelman justified his decision of not letting McGrady suit up in the next two games by stating: "I just felt if he was unhappy with that situation, I wasn't comfortable to go forward and try to jump-start it again. I want to be sure this is our plan. I don't blame any player for saying, ‘I want more.' That's what he wants. Right now, I'm not sure how to do it. We'll figure it out, I hope."

Adelman probably sincerely believes this. However, his coaching record shows that he has a certain penchant for choosing favorites, sometimes at the expense of other high profile players. For example, Rockets fans will recall how he successfully brought in Ron Artest from his days with the Kings, but how he failed to integrate Bonzi Wells to the Houston franchise. There was also the Jerome Kersey experiment he undertook while coaching the Golden State Warriors. So despite Adelman's reputation as a "player's coach," history shows us that he has had his run-ins with NBA stars. In fact the current Aldeman-McGrady feud has a precedent.

Rewind to the 1995-96 season, when Adelman was head coach of the Golden State Warriors. Though the team had shortcomings, Adelman had inherited All Star point guard Tim Hardaway from the first Don Nelson era. Unfortunately, like McGrady, Hardaway was injured, and then forced to undertake a season ending knee surgery in 1995.

Pre-injury, Tim Hardaway had averaged 19 and 9 assist. Though he was expected to make a full recovery, the Warriors decided to shore up their bench and signed B.J. Armstrong during the off-season. Then Adelman began holding interviews and press conferences on the subject. During the preseason he said he would ease Hardaway back into the lineup (sound familiar?). Later he told reporters he wanted Hardaway to be more of a "scoring punch" coming off the bench. However, it seems that he ultimately believed that Armstrong was a better player than Hardaway. He used these pr tactics to appease the local media and fans base at the time, thereby justifying the unpopular decision of benching not only Hardaway but also Dream Teamer Chris Mullin for one of his former players Jerome Kersey.

In the end, the Warriors traded an "injury prone" Tim Hardaway with Chris Gatling for Bimbo Coles and a 34 year old Kevin Willis to the Miami Heat. Under Coach Pat Riley, the same "injury prone" Tim Hardaway immediately became the starter, was either an All-NBA first or second team member for the following 3 years, and led the Miami Heat to the playoffs for the following 6 seasons. Meanwhile Adelman was relieved of his duties after his second year at Golden State with a record of 66-98

Adelman has portrayed McGrady as a player that can no longer play the game at an All Star level:

"He was a great player. We're trying to see if we can keep a flow where he can keep his touches and not put the whole onus on him right now. That's the dilemma."

"A player of his caliber, he's smart, he's got skills other people don't have. They're in him. All the things he did before that came easy, suddenly they're harder. When you try to incorporate that into your game as a team, that's the thing I'm struggling with. I'm trying to figure it out. As talented as he is and as smart as he is, once he gets going, he's going to find a way. I don't know how long it's going to take."

Admittedly, Tracy McGrady has been more prone to injury than his peers, but so had Tim Hardaway. Adelman made the wrong assessment of one player, so one must now wonder about his assessment of McGrady. Some might support Adelman by arguing that McGrady is too old. The fact is that countless of NBA superstars are older: Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter (McGrady's cousin and two years his senior), and Kenyon Martin (who is not only 2 years older but has had the same micro fracture surgery). All of these players are key contributors on contending teams.

The question that Houston Rockets and McGrady fans should ask is: is Tracy McGrady truly done or is Rick Adelman running him out of Houston as he once pushed Tim Hardaway out of Golden State? The last thing Rocket fans want to see is a Tracy McGrady buyout (like the aforementioned Bonzi Wells), landing T-Mac on the Phoenix Suns or the Miami Heat for the playoffs. Only time will tell if we are witnessing the saga of Tim Hardaway part.

2. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

LOL at Ariza providing a reason not to play McGrady. It's just that the organization has moved on, if anything the organization would think twice about McGrady after seeing Ariza play..

3. number22

number22 Member

I was going to say something in the order thread, but this defintiely needed a thread of its own. Deja Vu Tim Hardaway went thru the same thing as tracy is now with adelman. And went on to return to his former all star status with the heat. Nice post.

But wait no this is totally different.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

^ please dont quote the ENTIRE article when its that long its really really REALLY unncessary

different situation from the GS example I feel

the article doesnt mention what sort of surgery Tim Hardaway had (chances are it wasnt microfracture otherwise his name would pop up on the list of the players who come back strong after it). Had this been a routine surgery (sort of like the one mcgrady had LAST season) and he came back in shape into camp maybe this whole situation could have been avoided.

Also Riley had a different team in Miami and a different system. Hardaway had the ball in his hands of course he was going to produce as a starting PG.

I've said before I think McGrady can go back to being a top player in the league but he can only play his way by dominating the ball. Problem is that he isnt willing to play the way everyone else on this team is, the way that this team wins.

if/when mcgrady joins another team he probably will have a lot of 20+ pt games and everyone will cry foul on the Rockets for 'giving' him away but it wont necessarily have meant more Ws for this team.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hardaway blew out his ACL, which at the time was a more serious injury than it is now but still not microfracture severity.

6. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

I've seen more people bounce back from an ACL injury then a Microfracture injury. See Tom Brady as one example.

7. number22

number22 Member

Yeah today perhaps. But ACL injuries back in the day was a career threatening.

8. caneks

caneks Rookie

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think the point the author is trying to make is, and I agree, there seems to be a trend here of making personell decisions without giving proper due dilligence.

If McGrady is not in thier future plans, fine.... if they have a trade lined up, fine....but the organization is destroying his value as an asset for no apparent reason.

If the six games was a charade or condition of some other team to get trade consent, Im ok with it, but we better see some magic at the deadline or I am going to be pretty irritated with this botched situation.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Anyway, using six 7 minutes to judge a player is insane.

11. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Tracey has done alot to destroy Tracey's trade value. Seriously, while Hardaway had an injury and surgery, I don't remember him having the communications issues around his decision that Tracey did.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You can actually just look at the rockets of a few years ago. Hakeem faked an injury and they were about to trade him for ronny siekly, but they didn't and we all know what happened, not that tmac is as good as hakeem.

13. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Listen you guys, Adelman dealt with another player that dealt with the same surgery Tmac did, his name...Chris Webber. Adelman is taking it as slow and as cautious as he can because he's experienced this before. Yes he made a mistake 14 years ago, with Tim Hardaway. So....He also made a mistake with Chris Webber that Tracy McGrady sounds like he isn't afraid of. Tracy should be lucky to have a loyal coach like Adelman if anything. I'm glad Adelman isn't one of those coaches that let stars do whatever they want, and as long as they have a good rep they can play.

Adelman is a GREAT coach live with it, he's not classless and he's not stupid.

14. caneks

caneks Rookie

This is why there is nothing to argue about. Coach sees him playing every day in game and in team practice. You only saw him playing less than 50 minutes in this whole season. Now you believe you are more qualified to decide the playing time for him?

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

This was the right decision, not a mistake in any way.

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

the article is basically supporting the idea that RA has personal issues with certain players...Penny went back to being an all-star, you're saying golden state couldn't have used him?

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

Tim Hardaway had the FG% less than 0.4 in the rest of his career. You certainly don't want such a player in your team. Yes, I think the golden state made the right decision to trade him.

18. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Interesting to note that the only commonality in this situation is the owner. The coaching staff and GM/Front Office are worlds apart.

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

wow, so you included the last 4 years when he was clearly broken down? Good job cherry picking stats? the first 4 years after the surgery he was clearly a good/great player, had passable FG% and great assist numbers.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is how high Adelman values ball movement. He's willing to bench a player of the skill level of McGrady to make sure he has 5 teammates on the floor that are all touching the rock and it is moving around the court. Adelman believes in his style strongly. This has been a mismatch from the start. You could see it in McGrady when Adelman coached his first game. And you could see it in Adelman too. They've patched it up and tried to make it work. But McGrady wants to handle the rock and Adelman wants the rock moving.

I just hope we get value for McGrady.

Approach New Orleans first, Toronto second....