1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hollinger] Post-Yao Rockets already here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Dec 18, 2010.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Hollinger likes our team a lot in general (stat geek love). Here is his perspective on something that we already know a bit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/22903/post-yao-rockets-already-here

..and more

2. Raven

Raven Member

Which means we'll miss the playoffs by such a slim margin that we won't get a decent draft pick or that we'll be squished in the playoffs even if we're lucky enough to sneak in.

Wonderful.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

basically exactly what we were last year, except this time around we cant say

"Oh don't worry, Yao is coming back next year" :( :(

This franchise aint going nowhere with this progression

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why Raven my dear, you are starting to smell like a troll.

[​IMG]

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's frustration, Old Man.

He would be a troll if that were the outcome he WANTED. If he were a fan of another team come to crap on all things Rockets.

He's a fan of the Rockets who hopes for something better than what we've had for over a decade now.

1 person likes this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

So our wins are blowouts and our losses are close?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see this "star" that we are waiting for. Do you?

Chris Paul?

Is there any other "star" that could become available?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i would LOVE for it to be Chris Paul.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah I get it. But it isn't as bad as it seems. This Hollinger stuff is real. We were a team that took a while to get our identity. But now we are beating every team that we are supposed to and we are beating them bad. And we even play the other teams well. We shoulda beat Chicago who was hot and on a roll themselves. We ran into the Bucks who also were struggling to find themselves and then they did and beat us and Dallas and almost beat SA. No shame in that loss. We lost to OKC but we played bad that game after a back to back and they are supposed to beat us even we beat them soundly before. Forget the fact we are missing Yao, we are doing this all without a real 4th quarter threat and we should get one back on Sunday. We are also doing with a poor defensive backup small forward who is struggling on offense as well and a poor offensive starting SF. I have alot of confidence that T-Will will help that. To me we have a lot to be excited about.

Yes we lost Yao but we still are a good team. Watch the Heat game. IMO even with SA and Dallas playing so well, the heat are the hottest team in the league right now. Watch how we play that game. If we do well and keep it close till the end we are a legit team. I say that because Brooks will just be getting his legs back and T-Will will get better as he really learns the offense and defense. We are much better than the team that started the season and we will only get better.

Plus I have confidence Morey will get something done. Hollinger said he is the most active GM and that was before Yao went down. Imagine how hard he is working now. What if we somehow picked up Okafor or Dalembert or even Iggy. We would be the best team capable of stopping Wade and Lebron. Imagine a team of Iggy, lee, Wiliams and Battier. Those guys would never give Lebron a rest or Kobe. And Scola while less talented than Bosh has so much more heart. Yes we are the underdogs. But I like being the underdog. I like playing like we have the heart of a champion. It's an uphill battle but I like or chances.

1 person likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I love the Rockets, but as far as challenging the Heat or LA after acquiring Okafor or Dalembert, or even Iggy...

[​IMG]

I love our scrappy, up-tempo ID, especially if the D can keep making tiny improvements this year, but it's true that we're a big gun or two away from making serious noise. I will still love rooting for them of course.

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Morey might still be pursuing Rubio. He isn't anywhere near Chris Paul but he's still young and would bring in money from the international market like Yao did although probably not as much as Yao has.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why is everyone so high on Rubio? T-will has more potential than Rubio. Better athlete, better defense, better size, better quickness, same in ball handling and court vision.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Get real. The Rockets have to switch gears. I defended Morey's plan to re-build the team, but last Summer changed everything. We've entered into a new era where stars are determined to play together, and unless the NBA forces the player's union to accept a franchise tag, it's no longer a sound strategy to plan on acquiring your franchise player though trade unless you 1. already have one of his buddies on your roster or 2. are located in one of the glamor cities, such as Miami, NY, LA, or maybe Boston or Chicago. At this point, drafting a star seems far more doable than trading for one.

Make a list of the 10 or 15 best players under the age of 30 and try to find one that we have a realistic chance of trading for. If our plan is treading water, and collecting assets, until we can find a team willing to trade us a star (who's willing to re-sign with us) then we're going to be waiting a long long time.

Stars want to play with stars, so where does that leave us? We must rebuild through the draft. There is no other realistic way for us to build a championship caliber team.

14. Happii

Happii Member

It probably won't be Chris Paul because of how good the Hornets are this season. Chris Paul would probably stay at the Hornets

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The truth hurts...

Let's gamble on Anthony Randolph.

16. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Only way I see us getting a Chris Paul, which is highly doubtful, is if Brooks is included...

I don't see Hornets management trading for Brooks when it was obvious him and Ariza didn't get along too well last season.

17. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

If Gilbert Arenas wears a magic jersey this season, Dwight might demand a trade next season :)

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

On top of them having a good season

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

not high on rubio but i know morey has been after him for a while and the marketing aspect is smthg T Will cant bring to the organization. Not really high on bringing in a different PG. Just thought maybe the organization might be looking for another international star.

We need a big man. We are a legit healthy big man away from contending for the title imo.

20. Raven

Raven Member

I don't see Minny trading Rubio, at least not for what we could offer. He'd be a nice pick up, but he could also be a bust. Ironically, the one thing Minny might trade Rubio for would be a high draft pick.