1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We have first rounders?

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How much is Korver's contract? Can the Rox swing Ariza for Korver?

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So can the Rockets. Do you follow basketball?

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This looks like the last oppurtunity to save next season. Really hoping Anderson signs else where, we trade for Milsap and sign some role players to replace who we lost trough the trade.

Please.

5. rocketseagles07

But if you get an offer from say Phoenix and us. Who's pick is gonna be higher? Do you follow basketball?

I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE. But I don't forsee it. Maybe I should just be like some of these other guys on CF and believe things like Durant is a lock to come here, the warriors were gonna fall off last season, etc since it benefits us

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

We NEED to be all over this.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Would love millsap here. I wanted him after he became a FA with Utah. But he needs to be paired with a legit C next to him

8. Airdough

Airdough Member

The Rockets have assets a contender would want in role players on cheap contracts plus some young talent on cheap contracts. The Rockets also own all of their picks in future years. They're not totally bereft of assets and have cap room to absorb deals where they take in more salary. I'm not sure where all the woe is the franchise is coming from right now.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Whatever they want outside of Harden.

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Atlanta would've been interested in Capela before they signed Dwight. They loved Noel and Capela isn't too far off in perception.

But now, we'd have to offer a package around Ariza and picks, and I'm not dying to part with either (especially the 2017 pick, in a great class).

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe Millsap will ask to play here over Boston or Phoenix...he's an expiring so he should have some power here.

And yeah, i know tha nobody wants to play here lol

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That assumes they renounce the cap hold on Horford. If they do that, they lose his Bird Rights.

See spotrac, which I think is BimaThug's goto salary site.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

It says that with Dwight and Baze's salaries, if they renounce all cap holds they can get to $6.8m in maximum cap space. But that means they must renounce Horford and their two picks this year...plus Hinrich (which they will do) and Kris Humphries.

Max Cap Space renouncing ALL CAP HOLDs = $6.8m
    Horford = $18m
    Taurean Prince = $1,931,900
    DeAndre' Bembry = $1,249,800
    -----------------------------------
    $14.37m salary purge (required to keep Horford and their two rookies from this year.)

Is my math correct?

13. amaru

amaru Member

We have nothing to offer besides Harden.

14. amaru

amaru Member

From the disappointment that was last season, the hire of 'Antoni and Le$ meddling with the draft when the team should have just tried to keep the 12th pick.

Also, the lack of assets combined with otherwise attainable players being swooped up by spend happy teams has contributed to many fans being down on the franchise.

Do you see anything to suggest that fans should be feeling otherwise?

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We could take back Splitter, Scott, Thabo etc if they need to dump more salary.

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anything, it should cost Atlanta a pick to have someone take him (a la Lin two years ago). This is where the Rockets should get involved in order to get something they want. The Rockets cold take Milsap's entire salary back right now giving nothing more than a pick in return, I believe.

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

I'll pass on Scott. Pretty sure this dude is headed to prison for molly possession or something.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Something tells me that the Rockets are desperate to make this work...And Atlanta is putting out feelers to see if they can get a better offer. This is quickly turning into a nightmare scenario for the Rockets...as all the big name/mediocre FA are rapidly making decisions that dont have HOUSTON as a destination. This is a resounding insult to James Harden, the player...

Howard in a S & T with Atlanta could allow them to sign Horford outright. Atlanta could even off load bad contracts on us just to free up more cap space.

A 1st round pick may have to be used to entice Atlanta. This is such a dangerous road for the Rockets to pursue.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Millsap doesn't fit the Phoenix youth movement and the Celtics might not really want Millsap for the long haul.

I don't think we're out of the conversation at all, but, then again, since none of us know what's really driving these teams....

For example, maybe Horford doesn't even want to stay in Atlanta with Dwight? Who knows. That would make it all moot anyway.

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any team that wants to help Atlanta pull that off should be the one asking for a pick. Do you think they would let next year's pick prevent them from re-signing Horford?