1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hartenstein' first game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Oct 21, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Thoughts ?

I thought he played pretty well . Yes , he had that one big mistake ... rookies will make rookie mistakes .

He also showed good activity , was able to finish in the PnR and set screens so harden could get downhill and find him . Yes , harden set him up amazingly ... but hart still had to be in the right position .

Defensively, he got put in the popcorn machine a couple of times and held his own a couple of times .... he's a rookie 7 footer what do you expect ?

I liked his overall awareness on both ends of the floor.

I'd say he earned a B , maybe a B- .... but he's definitely serviceable and should improve .

Given rebounding has been one of our biggest problems this year . I would put him into the rotation and give him backup C minutes unless the other team is making a concerted effort to go really small .

Plus , the more he plays at the 5 ... the more PJ can play at the 4 ... which means the less Melo we have to see .

da_juice, Rashmon, hakeem94 and 6 others like this.
  2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I agree. He made a really stupid mistake but he was better than Melo at the 5 overall.

amaru and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The best hope is that Hartenstein can shoot . In which case we can play him at the 4

ak99999 likes this.
  4. macan

macan Member

D minus for that rookie mistake cost us the game

topfive, Moleb and amaru like this.
  5. Ray Parker

Ray Parker Member

Solid Debut. Potential to be a good rotation player. Obviously is gonna have to keep playing to get a better feel.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He can't be a real 7-footer.

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

That's a little harsh and we had plenty of time to recoup those points.

macan and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If he had not made that one mistake what would his grade be ?

9. macan

macan Member

C minus, his defense wasn't well, i doubt he was as good as decker in the same period last year

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think that's a bit harsh , but hey .. you are entitled to your option . Dekker is more of a wing so of course one should expect him to look better guarding the perimeter.

macan likes this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

He was ok. No lateral quickness.....we need to stop all the switching

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, he look ok for his first game, Gortat and Boban are not exactly scrubs or guys easy to handle for a rookie. For a comparison i think D.Mo looked much worse in his first games.

On a side note, i just don't get why Clark didn't see the floor and got shut down after 3 minuts in the first half...

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bbq chicken. if at age 20 he can't stay in front of anyone, he'll never be able to. this mutt is a fuking waste of our time. just like nanu and the countless other scrubs morey has dicked around on the past decade

cheke64 likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think Clark had 3 quick fouls . Also my guess is that Clark was playing backup 5 ... and when Hartenstein did OK in the first half ... he took those mins from Clark in the second .

Clark should be at the 3/4 .... MDA needs to stop trying to make every player who is 6'7" and strong a small ball 5 .

Gorki, buffalobills!!! and Vivi like this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

we need length when capella is out cuz goin small isn’t goin work like last season.

I didn’t think Melo was anywhere near a defensive solidly before he came but he’s more underwhelming defensively then even I expected and set the bar below Harden

16. hakeemthagreat

He made some layups but his mistake was CRUCIAL. He can't be doing that in a tight game. Y'all finger point some guys for everything but gives guys like Hartenstein a pass. Is he the new DMo?

ak99999 likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dude , you need to chill out lol .

We are all pissed right now , but don't bring that **** into places where people are trying to have productive discussions .

Remlap likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

please specify what exactly you're complaining about from my post

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wait i noticed i referred to fartenstein as mutt, that wasn't any reference to his mixed heritage if that's what you meant, just another way of referring to him as a scrub -- so sorry about that

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The entire thing ....

Are you really saying he has zero redeeming qualities? That he can't contribute at all ?

This was his first NBA game and he made plenty of plays that had a positive impact ... he also made poor plays . Given that he's a rookie and this is his first game ... I felt that was To be expected .

He did manage to stay in front of several plays ... he also got blown by once or twice . He has to learn the distance he can give on the perimeter... to expect him to know that his first attempt is unreasonable. Perhaps switching him onto Lou Williams is a bad idea . How many backup c's are gonna stay in front of him . The Tobias Harris dunk looked bad .... but ya know what ... Harris is underrated , and hartenstein will learn from that .

Also you brought Morey into it which is pretty off topic

Edit ... no worries on the mutt thing , I knew you were just using it as an expression .

#20 snowconeman22, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.