1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Haberstroh Podcast] Morey: "Slam me. I deserve to be slammed."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 4, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

CP3 wanted to play with harden . Tucker came here . Clint stayed . We haven't exactly had max space . Also , this critique is valid for 12-16 . We tried and failed to lure a bunch of max players here from those years . But we did get Dwight .

2. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

meh Morey will figure something out.

i hope.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Let's be honest - the team has no heart...
    Work the stats and get paid - thats what's goin on...
    It seems apparent there are 'issues' that did not exist last year bc these guys often arent playing as a team... just iso and chucking...

Defense is heart.
    Sense of urgency and hustle is heart.
    Banging for rebounds and doing the dirty work is heart.

Our guys are far too often walking around either ball watching or dribbling the air outta the ball before chucking up another long distance 3...

MDA keeps runnin the vets in the ground bc he wont take the time to coach and develop guys... it's Trez all over again... Melo got his 10 games - and done with you... Clark got some burn - then done with you... House is getting minutes now and in a couple weeks - it'll be done with you...

cheke64 likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can’t say I would’ve done much different from what Morey has done: Money was sparse/extremely limited
    after the re-signing of CP3 and Capela.

For/Concur:
    1) Re-Sign CP3

2) Re-Sign Capela. I planned on trading him at season’s end thinking that 18 points/gm would be his cap; but Capela
    is proving to be the 3rd star with the potential to score 20+ points a game. I preferred the 3rd Star being a “wing”
    skilled position.....but Capela is playing like Boss. Rockets can still piece together assets (Chriss/Knight/etc)
    to trade for another player (4th star...scratch that, contributor). Morey did right with this move. FA unlikely due to cap rules this summer, unless Rockets trade for an expiring contract by trading deadline, i.e. Chriss/Knight.

3) let Ariza go. Too much money for what Ariza’s game has become.

4) let Luc MaM go. See Ariza above.

5) Sign Melo.....was not used properly. D’Antoni could have worked in a post up game. Don’t tell me he couldn’t.

6) Re-Sign Gerald Green

7) Sign James Ennis

8) Loved the drafting of Melton and signing of Gary Clark.

9) Play Hartenstein. Groom him for the future.

Against/ No Concur:
    1) Signed MCW. Thought it was a joke. Still scratching me head in wonderment.

2) Paid for Vince Edwards pick. I don’t see this pick working now or in the future.

3) Letting Deng Adel get away.

4) Letting D House get away in pre-season and now waiving him. Yet to be determined like much on this list...
    could be brought back shortly.

#84 ApacheWarrior, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    PWR, Houstunna and BigShasta like this.
  5. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

DD,

Truthful or not, Morey isn’t as infalliable as his analytic image makes him out to be.

In fact, I would argue that the problem with analytics is that it is backward looking (I.e. retrospective) and not forward looking (i.e. prospective).

He’s great at looking at past stats and finding value - especially borderline stars like sixth men - but insofar as finding true “young” diamonds in the rough, when they’re just that - still young and in the rough.

To which I never understood why Morey didn’t just stick his forte within his M.O. - assembling more of the Eric Gordons and Lou Williams of the league. (Those guys represent terrific value for the dollar.). Instead we go from overpaying one guy to overpaying the next.

To which my chief complaint against Morey is that analytics doesn’t trump common sense!!!

Why would anyone pay max dollars to ANY vet over 32 who has a history of health problems? I’m sorry but that’s just moronic. Health and injury are tangible risks. Let another team take that risk!

Easy, MD_in_Training and cheke64 like this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

A team full of Eric Gordon and Lou Williams’ caliber players is going to either be a lottery team or a team that gets eliminated early in the playoffs. You win with superstars in the NBA, not elite role players.

Also, the Rockets would have been over the cap whether they gave CP3 the supermax or not. They had no realistic way to replace his production if they let him walk. No cap space, and to get a player of CP3’s caliber, it would’ve required trading a combination of draft picks, Gordon and Tucker. Bringing CP3 back was the right decision and an easy one for Morey to make.

BaselineFade, Reeko, jordnnnn and 4 others like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

You don't get more forward-thinking than trading for 6th man James Harden and committing to him though.

What about Clint? What about letting Parsons go? What about trading Alston for Lowry?

Handles, Reeko, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

come thru i like em thick

9. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Thought this was interesting, sounds like a trade in the works:

On Carmelo:

“He can really still help a team. I think just how things evolved in terms of how we were using him, we really thought that was going to work. And to be fair to Carmelo, I do really think he can help a team, and I think a team’s gonna nab him here pretty shortly is my guess. But in terms of how things evolved for us and our heavy use of a switching defense–which we had a mix last year; we ended up finishing using it pretty exclusively, but we had a mix of that last year–that was one thing that wasn’t a perfect fit. It really is mostly on me, honestly. I saw the fit there, and it really didn’t go the way that I thought it would.”
    https://www.thedreamshake.com/2018/...-houston-rockets-carmelo-anthony-in-interview

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He saw Melo a fit on defense?

I am sorry but that's just moronic...

The only defense that Melo fits in is the one where you dont play any defense.

At least, he was quick to observe how much of a disaster it was in 10 games or less lol...

11. MD_in_Training

Tell that to the star-less Clippers.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Did Melo sleep with your wife or something ?

daywalker02 and DreamShook like this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

BigShasta likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Thx for the recap.

I was thinking earlier today even before this about wing players who could long rebound well like ariza.

And the name I seen that was most promising was demarre Carroll at 15% def reb. Jeff green is another cheap guy who could help in that area.

Rondae Hollis-jefferson and Markieff are also likely cheap guys who would add rebounding but not really from the wing.

15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I love Daryl Morey. Brilliant mind. I could listen to him all day

16. amaru

amaru Member

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I didnt make the video I linked to lulz... Maybe the other guys is obsessed? 18 minutes of Melo video...OMGz...what was he thinking??!?

Actually I would say you are obsessed with him.

Always running over to rescue him lulz...

You dont like my opinion (actually more like confirmed facts now), you can always move on broski.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Gimme a break with that, they arent winning anything.

BaselineFade and Reeko like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have to earn the right to be slammed, this year not so much.

20. MD_in_Training

And we are?