1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grant Hill appreciation!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Dec 27, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i love watching this guy play. 38 years old. multiple potential career-ending injuries/surgeries.

now balling. and even guarding the dominant young guys the past few games (lebron, and hell even blake griffin).

he's a perfect example of a fallen superstar transitioning into a very good NBA player despite obstacles.

15ppg, 5rpg on 53%fg.

wow is all i can say.

1 person likes this.
  2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

for reason! He's excellent

He had an opportunity to join Celtics or Spurs, but he didn't want to get out of Nash and Suns medical stuff and his game shows you why it was a right decision.

That's why T-Mac should not leave Kander and Pistons if he could return to something special

3. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I agree, at this point grant hill is playing out of his mind based off the injuries he had....and that 30 point game he had last week was hilarious haha.

I agree with tracy as well. i hope he's smart enough to see that this team is doing a lot for him right now...even if the coaching isn't the best Kander is doing wonders for him...

4. Asian Sensation

It's nice to see Grant Hill playing so well and staying injury free. He's genuinely a good guy and it makes it very easy to root for him.

5. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

love the guy
    you never hear him talk about not wanting to rehab or retiring after all those surgeries
    definition of an warrior

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt.

Doesn't throw his teammates under the bus.

Plays with heart and passion every single night.

I like those qualities in a player.

7. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I am voting for him as an All-star start everyday for a second straight week and I hope that coaches would give him the spot in the lineup of 12

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Coming out of college, this guy was mr. everything... brains, personality, and incredible baller. He had so much talent. It's a shame people like him have their careers interrupted or ended when bozos with half a brain run get to milk the system.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He still has quite a bit of athleticism too. Those injuries were a blessing in disguise (in the skies) in a way. He has the mileage of most NBA players who are 5 years younger than he is.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the guy was incredible they had a stat on during the lakers game on xmas how lebron had 31 career triple doubles 2nd most among active players (kidd had like 109) but the 3rd most was grant hill at 29

grant hill had 29 triple doubles and pretty much did not play at all throughout what would have been his prime years.

dude was amazing in detroit before the injuries he was putting up triple doubles at a faster rate than lebron

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I still wouldn't call that a blessing in disguise. He gets to extend his career as a productive role player, but it comes at the expense of years where he would have been a superstar.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Financially it's still a blessing though. Because he got paid like a superstar during his prime years and now he's continuing to get paid well years after he may have retired.

Of course, the whole reason we're praising the guy is because he undoubtedly would have rather played to his full potential and seen where it would have taken him than made the additional money.

13. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

He seems at peace with how his career turned out. Every game he plays these days is gravy for him. How many former players flail after their careers end pining for their long lost glory years, never at peace with what they end up doing after their playing days are over? The guy doesn't have any regrets. He can still rely on his smarts to play for a few more years at least, he's managed his money wisely, has a great family life, and you know he'll be doing something meaningful after he retires. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I feel more sorry for guys like Michael Jordan who, despite having achieved the pinnacle of basketball, obviously haven't achieved that satisfaction after their careers are over (as witnessed by his disgrace of a HOF speech).

Just check out how Hill handles these questions thoughtfully:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6X9WsTWDBs

14. worzel gummidge

Hill made his comeback with the Magic. There was talk he would re-sign with the Magic out of loyalty and they wanted him back but...

15. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I don't really watch college basketball anymore but that Duke team he was on was awesome. Grant Hill, Christian Laettner (was actually really good then) , Bobby Hurley, Thomas Hill...

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks to the OP.

17. J-Man

J-Man Member

He looks aiight......

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

He was putting up ridiculous numbers his first few seasons. (aside from his 3Pt % :grin:......especially in the 98-99 season, what's up with that?)

[​IMG]

19. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

That is a 6 year stretch averaging over 21ppg, almost 8rpg, over 6apg, and 1.5 spg. Also, those were his first 6 years in the league.

Lebron's first 6 years he averaged approximately 27ppg, 7rpg, almost 7apg, and 1.8 spg.

Other than Lebron's 6 more points per game, those numbers are really close. Hill was also a very marketable player (He had some awesome Fila's and Sprite commercials). It really is too bad that he had so many injuries.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People in Detroit loved him, when he left, he put a page on the paper thanking all the fans. That's class.