1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glue Men: Parsons and Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Have the Rockets found successors to Battier and Hayes?

Parsons's defense reminds me of what we had with Shane Battier. He's a rookie, and he doesn't know all opposing player and team tendencies like Shane did. But he has consistently demonstrated astonishingly mature defensive technique, lateral quickness, and great hands. As he gains more and more familiarity with what opposing teams are running and what opposing players like to do, I can see him developing into an All-Defense type player.

With Patterson, I also see great potential as a strong team defender. He doesn't have the quick hands and or lower body strength that Chuck had, but he's shown he's very good at providing help and recovering to his man on pick and rolls. I think he also has good enough feet to switch onto and defend against some of the stronger wings like Chuck used to. He needs to continue improving in his post defense and especially defensive rebounding.

I don't think either of them has great upside on the offensive side, though they are certainly capable of being positive contributors on that end and possess skills that Shane and Chuck never had.

Parsons has shown he's a very good passer and ball-handler and possesses a nice finger-roll on his drives. He moves well without the ball. His jump shot is broken, however, and may require major reconstruction in the offseason. I hope he returns in his second year as a more competent shooter.

Patterson is an adept catch-and-shoot midrange shooter (like Scola) and a good screener. I think the game is still moving a little fast for him, and he tends to hurry his shots around the basket (perhaps to avoid getting his shot blocked). He needs to have the confidence to play through contact more and attack the rim instead of always settling for those flip shots.

Just my thoughts on these two players. I really like what they bring and what they can potentially bring if they work on improving some of the holes in their game. They likely won't become stars, but they can be great role players that every team in the league would love to have.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah I definitely see that.

I think Parsons has some offensive upside due to his size and mobility. But man that shot is bad right now.

3. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Like Battier, Parsons is a white, cerebral player. Therefore, we should be confident in his ability to familiarize himself with his enemies' tendencies. Since losing Chuck and Battier, it appears that the only vocal leader on the court is Lowry. Parsons needs to step it up with the intangibles, and by that I mean more public speaking classes and fewer zits. What's up with that anyway? Is he roiding?

1 person likes this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I've been so impressed with Patterson's mid range shot, the consistency never ceases to amaze me.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Glue men is what happens to horse men when they are no longer useful.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

:rolleyes:

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Parsons is vocal on the court and also during timeouts and on the bench. That's one thing I noticed about him. He is very intelligent and mature for a 1st year player.

For example, Feigen tweeted this during the game:

[rquoter]
    Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen
    Chandler Parsons trying to calm Rockets down. Patterson clanks 2 fts. That's a missed dunk, 2 missed ft, 2 tos in 2 min. Tie game.
    1 hour ago
    [/rquoter]

8. conquistador#11

I'm pray every time he takes it to the rack that Parsons is not fouled in the process of shooting. Other than that he is simply amazing. I see him more of a Bat-um than a Bat-man.
    I wonder if shane left his 1,000 page binded defensive scouting report somewhere in the locker room so Parsons can start reading it.

Ppat looks like he's back 100%.
    I hate that he makes himself small by settling for 2 foot jumpshot when he can just throw it down. He has a bright future once he embraces that contact.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Consistently bad?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Another thing I noticed: Parsons is the Rockets regular inbounds passer when he's on the court-- Shane Battier used to have that job.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Patterson is shooting over 50% from outside of 10 feet this season.

That's a good percentage.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

:eek:

Hmm... trolling? Hard to tell, hard to tell. :confused:

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

WTF?????????????

14. Homie3

Homie3 Member

I'm not convinced that Parsons is on the same level defensively as Shane, but I definitely seem much greater offensive potential in Parsons already. Besides the fact that he jumps like crazy and averages at least 1 put-back-dunk per game, the kid is much quicker than Shane was. If he improves his mid to long range shot, then he would be fantastic.

On the other hand, I am still waiting for Patterson to show me that he's 100% in his movement and his ups. I'm so frustrated watching Patterson play right now because I know he is so much better than his body is allowing him to be right now.

15. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Like Michael Jordan, Patterson is a black cerebral player.

16. dd89

dd89 Member

Don't you mean pale?

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

At University of Florida, Parsons was called a point-forward. I think in the last two games, we've seen he has play-making skills. At Denver, he received the ball when KL was trapped; he moved in and issued an assist to CBud for the game-clinching 3.

I haven't watched the POR game yet, but on nba.com I noticed he was doing more of the same tonight. He can be tapped as a second playmaker on the court alongside Dragic/Lee if Kyle has to be out for a game or two. Plus his defensive instincts as a help-defender has just amazed me. Some were saying we should have taken Leonard or SIngleton instead of Morris. Lo and behold, our 2nd-rounder became that defensive guy.

Last season, PPat has already shown us he can defend and has a reliable jumper. He still is outmuscled when he tries to do his post moves. As long as his medium-range jumper is accurate, I can wait for him to develop a post game. McHale can teach him.

18. Homie3

Homie3 Member

LOOOOOL

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I really really like this Parsons. Both he and Patterson can easily develop into solid 2 way players in a few years.

The best thing about Parsons is lit up Bud.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Pretty much....those are the two guys i'd like to keep if we can finally trade in some assets for better talent.

Pat's been showing a nice hook as well.

My only issue with parsons is his free throw shooting. There are ways around his perimeter shooting, but if he's fouled, no way around him shooting those. Has to get that up to 70% or he's not going to see as many minutes as he could/should.