1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gattis

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Apr 13, 2015.

1. the shark

the shark Member

So far this season:

AB 20
    Hits 0 :eek:
    K 12 :eek:
    BB 1
    Avg. .000 :eek:

Yes I know it's early but damn this dude is more loss than Singleton.

2. Buck Turgidson

Hey, the team's 3-3 while getting essentially nothing offensively from Altuve/Springer/Valbuena/Gattis/Carter, the Opening Day 1-5 hitters. They're all due for a hot streak eventually.

Pitching staff has been impressive.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

hoping our pop hitters all catch fire at the same time.

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

he had a couple of decent at bats later in the game, but that first K was just ugly. Hope he can start hitting a bit, we're just not good enough offensively to have all of these guys struggle at the same time. We have something like the 2nd best ERA in the AL that's why we're 3-3, but that may not be sustainable, so the batting has to come through.

I'm also hoping Carter can get his mojo back. He finished the year off so well, but is starting in the same funk as last year. :(

5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Gattis did have a rip yesterday to left that would have at least dented the Crawford Boxes. Sample sizes... he will turn it around.

6. Buck Turgidson

It's like he completely forgot every adjustment he made in the second half of the season.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They shouldn't streak. They should be consistently good. Shouldn't they? :confused: Isn't that why they were signed? We need their offense ALL THE TIME, not just on 'hot streaks'.

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

In baseball you get such limited opportunities. That's why it is so frustrating when talented guys like Carter / Gattis waste valuable at bats. Even though Springer is struggling, he's giving good at bats, he's just over thinking. But ****, at least he's thinking up there!

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

There's maybe a handful of players in the entire league (and we have one of them playing second base) who couldn't be described as "streaky."

Now, some players are "streakier" than others, and power hitters are notorious for this.

1 person likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

^ Do they also strike out 60% of the times AB, or hit nothing in 20 appearances? :confused: Please show me one.

11. Buck Turgidson

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Baseball is rife with players who are normally good, but play like crap for an extended period of time. This is a sport where the average player doesn't even get a hit 70+% of the time.

Craig Counsel and Robin Ventura both went through extended hitless streaks and they were both good players. Here's a whole list of players who had ****ty parts or full seasons.

13. SwoLy-D

I know baseball and about the hitters, this is why I agree with the shark. As well as Gattis was touted and as good as a sign he was during the offseason, you'd think he'd have at least ONE dang hit and brought some peeps home.

Yeah, I guess I should have expected it at 24%... with long-ball hitters always trying to go for the fences, they'll miss on more than hitting on more.
    http://nypost.com/2015/01/14/what-evan-gattis-trade-means-for-astros-and-torn-down-braves/ - see the section of the Human Fans. :cool: I still don't know about this trade. Below-average D.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You know the designated hitter doesn't play in the field, right?

15. Buck Turgidson

Robinson Cano, Bobby Bonilla, Ivan Rodriguez, and Kelly Gruber all had hitless streaks longer than Gattis's, and they did it in the playoffs.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Small Sample Size. Look it up.

17. the shark

the shark Member

You are what you are and Gattis will show his true colors over a 162 game season (if he doesn't get hurt). He's just off to a bad....well more like Pathetic start.

Personally I didn't like trading these prospects for a hitter. For the most part there are quite a few guys who do what Gattis does. Pitching is harder to find, and I would have preferred to have Foltynewicz involved in a future trade that enabled us to bring back a front line pitcher.

Our farm system isn't as great as it was last yr at this time (baseball America only had Correa and Appel in their recent top 100 prospects). IMO I would have liked to keep Folty around for a bigger fish to try and reel in. Specifically a pitcher.

If you can get a guy like D. Price in a trade down the line (better have a lot of prospects as you're not trading Correa/Appel). If you go the free agency route to get a guy like Lester we have NO idea when (or IF) Crane will be willing to spend the $$ necessary to reel a guy like this in.

18. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm not saying 0-20 is anything to brag at, but Bagwell had periods (much longer than 6 games) every single year where he looked just as clueless at the plate.

19. SuraGotMadHops

20. the shark

the shark Member

Cano is in a bad streak right now as well.
    AB 25
    Hits 3
    BB 0
    RBI 1
    Avg. .120

Just part of the game, and EVERY hitter goes through it at some point in a season.