1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fruit doesn't always fall close to the tree...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by s land balla, Jun 14, 2010.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

LINK

One of the daughters of former President George W. Bush isn't following the Republican Party line when it comes to the issue of the health care legislation that cleared Congress last spring without any GOP support.

In an interview on Fox News Sunday, Barbara Bush said she's "glad" Democrats passed the massive spending measure and President Barack Obama signed it into law.

"Why do, basically, people with money have good health care and why do people who live on lower salaries not have good health care?" the 28-year old said. "Health should be a right for everyone."

Asked specifically what she though about the president's health care initiative, Bush replied with a smile, "That is a good question - obviously the health care reform bill was highly debated by a lot of people and I guess I'm glad the bill was passed."

The Democratic health care effort was deeply opposed by Republican members of Congress who derided its more-than $800 billion price tag and said it will do little to contain health rising care costs down the road.

Bush runs the Global Health Corps, a nonprofit group that aims to connect "outstanding young leaders with organizations working on the front lines in order to promote global health equity," according to the organization's website.

In the same interview, Bush said she doesn't see herself ever running for political office.

#1 s land balla, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Kind of a naive answer. I know people who make good money but are un-insurable or pay a hugely rated-up premium because they are self-employed and have no access to group health benefits and I know lots of people who work mediocre-paying jobs strictly for the benefits.

What she cites is not the bigger problem.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Thank God. If we could just get the same commitment from everyone else in that family.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

There is a concept called "average" and statistical sampling results are often time more helpful that a small anecdotal sample of one's friends.

So what is the bigger problem?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I actually agree with giddyup on this, you could be making $25K in a gov't job and have damn good insurance

if you're a small business owner who takes $75K out of your company every year, getting your own insurance can be very costly

its not anecdotal, one of the biggest problems is people who have to buy their own insurance

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Should have created a non-profit health insurance provider.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The non profit insurance companies, but the the officers still got to get paid.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The vast majority of those making $25K in this country don't work for the government. Many of those who do work for the government accept lower pay than they could make in the private sector because of the benefits. Both you and Ms. Bush could have given a more responsive answer to the "question." I certainly don't think what she said was far off-base or naive, just incomplete in her response, as was my former buddy sitting in my ignore box for a "time out."

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the only point i'm making is that if you work for a job that offers good benefits, then your insurance costs aren't necessarily a burden.

now that's not considering if you actully get a serious illness.

but for people who are self employed, insurance is a huge cost.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

She basically expressed the sentiment that 'heath care should be a right.' The idea that it's a 'right' of an individual, or the 'responsibility' of the community is pretty widely held now -- especially with younger people. I don't think her statement is particularly naive....nor contingent on who exactly is being left out of health care access or why.

11. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

This is the heart of the matter. This *is* the bigger problem. The bigger problem is that we have so many Americans who disagree with this notion.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

most rights don't infringe upon other americans. civil rights don't require the service of another professional.

I am pro universal healthcare, but to say its a right is something I disagree with also

13. Steve_Francis_rules

They do if we're talking about a person not being able to refuse service to someone because of race/gender/religion/etc.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

true, but the cost isn't regulated, a hotel may have to sell you a room, but if they charge everyone $100 per room, then that's the rate you have to pay.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Her liberal college professors at UT must have brainwashed her. Once she gets a taste of "real America" she will see that her college education is just a bunch of facts and doesn't really transfer to the "real" world. :p

16. Major

Major Member

It's not naive - it's statistically accurate. People with more money, on average, have better insurance than those with less.

17. giddyup

Standard rates are the average. Some are flat-out denied and some "luckier" ones might get offered a 2-300% rate-up... :eek:

I'm not sampling friends. I'm working out in the field.... meeting strangers... but your point is taken. For the most part, I am talking to business owners.

My objection to Ms. Bush is the notion that people who make a lot of money have good health care (they might or they might not) and people with lower incomes have inferior health care (they may or may not). It's just a gross over-generalization.

Whether you make 28K or 128K, if you are the same age and same health condition, you'll pay the same premium for the same plan. Now you may be able to afford a better plan... but generally we are talking about the difference between a $2,000 deductible and a $5,000 deductible... or higher, not much is lower.

All individual plans are pretty spartan anymore...

18. giddyup

Are you sure? A lot of highly-compensated business owners work for themselves and check out those prices.... if you can qualify. Try that at age 45 or 50 or 55.

It's shocking to see a Bush with a Class Envy argument... :grin:

19. insane man

insane man Member

yes but statistically speaking, people with less people with lower income have health insurance than higher income folks. all else being equal, i would bet that salary is the biggest indicator of insurance coverage, even if its not the only causal factor.

[​IMG]

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The cost of the uninsured raises the rates of the insured. Not having a mandate or universal healthcare is infringing upon other Americans.