1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francisco Garcia: Likely the most important player acquired for the purposes of this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Feb 21, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

While the trade dicussion have rightly been centered on Robinson, I feel that portion of the trade is more to stash him for the future. For this season, it seems the Rockets will be playing even smaller with Garcia on the roster.

I don't really know the guy, but he seems like a Delfino type looking at his stats. A typical wing guy who can shoot 3s and very little else of note. But with McHale not seemingly trust DMo or Jones yet, we can easily see Parsons at PF full time now and Delfino/Garcia/Harden as the SF/SG rotation.

Hopefully his decline over the past seasons are the product of being in the cesspool that is the Kings. And that we can see some rejuvanation from Garcia. Because he can certainly be an important piece down the stretch.

6 people like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I hope he gets zero minutes. He's terrible. I fear McHale will try to stick to the veterans and refuse the rookies playing time.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

shooter, energy guy, meh.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

This will certainly happen. On a night when the Rockets traded 2 PFs and 1 C, DMo and Greg Smith combined for < 20minutes. Garcia will absolutely get first crack at rotation before any of our rookies.

5. pass_to_Hakeem

I agree ^ I hope he's involved in a minor trade tomorrow or cut soon after. Never cared for his game!!

6. Asian Sensation

I always liked his game and wanted him a few years ago. He can shoot the 3 and he can defend some. Just an overall solid player who can do a bit of everything. He definitely got lost in the mix in Sactown and a change of scenery will suit him well.

I feel like he's going to be a key player in our playoff push and a nice insert when Harden needs to rest. I have a feeling he will grow on the people who are skeptical. Watch him become the 2nd coming of Bob Sura.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

I don't really like Jerry Garcia

1 person likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

His money owed helps in matching trades for max players.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Decent 3-point shooter, I guess that doesn't hurt. That was about the only thing we got out of Patterson and Morris, so he replaces that for this season.

Definitely gone after this season.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

:eek:

He would be in traction before the end of the season. I see him playing some crucial minutes at pf most games, but T-Rob/DMO/Jones will be pf by committee.

It doesn't really matter who starts, I would guess Robinson. It will matter most who finishes, and that will often times be when Parsons gets those minutes. Similar to Battier a few years back.

But no way he can physically handle pf full time.

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Garcia is a 6'-7" true SF, who can hit 3's at a high percentage, and make backdoor cuts in the paint when required. Really struggles when he needs to put the ball on the floor, he's not a ball handler.

Upside: a veteran SF off the bench who can give Parsons some rest, so McHale won't burn out the starting SF. Garcia is a slightly better defender, than Delfino. Making Delf expendable.

So I'm thinking the next move will be to trade Delfino and/or James Anderson.

12. Mr Dooley

Mr Dooley Member

No way he is better than Carlos.

13. gah

gah Member

Had you asked me before the season I would have said Cisco was better. Frankly, the impression I had of Delfino was that of a chucker, but that has surely changed. My objection with Garcia being on the Rockets is his contract, though he is a serviceable player. He does get sympathy points from me because he is the first Dominican to play for the Rockets, that would be if he's not rerouted tomorrow.

14. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

He's not better than Carlos, now that we have him, who is Lin going to dunk on?

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I hope we still get a back-up C for the stretch run.

And come next season, another back-up PG. Prefer to be 3-deep at PG and C, whereas with SG to PF, we have versatile players that can play multiple positions for spot minutes like Delfino and Parsons at the 4.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Garcia's played his ENTIRE career at Sacramento. Gosh he HAS to feel like this is A FRESH START.

Garcia is in that same Carlos Delfino tier. IF Garcia's worth a darn he'd add something. He could either be surprisingly servicable like Delfino, or be like Daquean Cook just mediocre.

He can be a better 2 point shot maker and defender than Delfino, Garcia actually can sneak some blocked shots in. Delfino has him beat everywhere else.

I'd want Garcia to backup Parsons. Let D-Mo, Robinson & T-Jones man the PF position. Parsons injured his ankle today and wasnt ANY depth behind him. Even McHale after the game said he can't keep leaving him and his starters out there all the time to get worn down. Though you could have a lineup of Parsons/Garcia/Delfino at the 4/3/2 concievably

(Now watch Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt get waived or moved or something)

1 person likes this.
  17. rockets137

rockets137 Member

OMG, now I remember this guy, Lin dunked on him hard last time.
    Like you said, it's a shame with he moving to Rockets now, though I just wonder whether Lin will practice his dunk on him every training or not.:p

18. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

Yeah I also felt like he's a Delfino type of guy. But Defino >> Garcia. Delfino can dribble, can make plays, can pass, can do every little thing. Garcia aside of his shooting, don't know much else he can do.

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Hell no... I can't easily see that at all. Some minutes at the PF sure but fulltime PF I doubt it.

Robinson will get minutes for the simple fact he can rebound.

20. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

He's a veteran, I think he's a good back up SF/SG when parsons and harden is tired or foul trouble and help out delfino. He can't be worse than Anderson right? Lol