1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX26] Rockets Hope to Re-Sign Artest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amorephd, Mar 10, 2009.

1. amorephd

amorephd Member

Rockets GM: We Want Ron Back
    Last Edited: Tuesday, 10 Mar 2009, 8:21 PM CDT
    Created On: Tuesday, 10 Mar 2009, 8:05 PM CDT

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets own the third best record in the NBA's Western Conference at 42-23. One big reason for the Rockets success is the play of forward Ron Artest who was inserted into the starting lineup on a permanent basis after guard Tracy McGrady underwent season-ending surgery.

Artest will become a free agent after the season and will certainly attract a lot of attention.

If it's up to Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey Artest will continue his career in a Houston uniform for many years to come.

"We want him back," Morey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports Tuesday. "All of the parties agreed we would address this after the season, so that it would not be a distraction, but from my point of view we would like Ron back."

Artest was thrilled to hear Morey's opinion of him.

"I definitly appreciate it," Artest said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. We have a lot of challenges ahead of us as far as a team, so that's not something that has been on my mind.

"Being a Houston Rocket for the remainder of my career, God-willing, that's something that has been on my mind. The most important thing right now is the Laker game, but with that said my family and myself do appreciate those words from him and got to be grateful for that."

Artest said his relationship with Yao Ming is one big reason why he would like to return to the Rockets.

"It's great playing with a guy like Yao, a leader like Yao," Artest said. "He works just as hard as me, if not harder. I know that Yao wants it.

"It's great playing with a leader that wants it."

Artest's agent, David Bauman, said he and the Rockets are on the same page.

"My goal since the trade has been to make this work," Bauman said. "Daryl and I have spent a lot of time meeting and speaking on the phone to make sure all lines of communication have been open.

"Ron is the type of player who is a winner and needs to be on a playoff caliber team. With the core that Daryl has built and a coach like (Rick) Adelman who Ron is comfortable with and trusts, it's a great situation."

Sacramento traded Arest to the Rockets in July in a multi-player deal.

This season Artest is averaging 16.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.7 steals.

2. OlajuwonShake34

Excellent, now send Tracy McGrady elsewhere. Artest is likely going to be all-star next year if T-Mac doesn't play on this team anymore.

Woot Ron.

3. Arash713

Arash713 Member

is too bad artest wants a long term deal. I still want the rockets to have cap space for 2010

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

give him 3 years 36M!

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If Les wants this, Les will make it happen. I am sure of it. When Les wants a player he is willing to give him the cash he deserves.

Heck remember when he gave JVG that 1 year extension out of nowhere just because he was happy with the Dallas series. Les is a great owner and I love him because he has always brought guys in because he wants to win. I have no doubts that if he wants Ron back, then Ron will be back with the Houston Rockets.

I want Ron back. I doubt we snab anyone in 2010 free agency anyways, so I rather have Ron back. I love Ron.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

hopefully we can get him for cheap b/c we do need that capspace in 2010.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Thank you for posting this, I freaking love to hear that from Ron. The good thing about Ron, his attitude and demeanor will help him be an effective player in this league for many more years. Sign him for 5 years, get rid of Tracy's contract and pick up a young up and coming talent, and of course get Yao to resign. This team may not have to rebuild after all. Aaron Brooks has the potential to be a player(allstar) in this league.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Use about 8 million of Macs salary to give our core raises and spend 15 or so in 2010. Les might have to dip into the tax area, but we could have a VERY solid team for 3-4 years if we play our cards right.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

does it matter to you.. that Morey, our GM, doesn't share your desire.. ?

10. opticon

opticon Member

Man Its hilarious how much t-mac is a such a after thought.

Ron did not even mention his name once. :p

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Very good point. One can hope that a short term deal that doesn't break the bank and still leaves us money for a 14-15M guy to replace McGrady works out. I'm no capologist so I hope that other guys can give us more information about future scenarios concerning free agency.

12. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I hope Morey is telling the truth, nothing but the truth so help the Rockets oh God!

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We can just replace McGrady with Artest as far as i'm concerned.
    Steps to building a franchise...

1.)Resign Artest

2.) LET TMAC's CONTRACT EXPIRE! This way we can go after a guy like Joe Johnson...and who knows if we have a good season 09/10...and the Heat are still 5-8 seed playoff team...maybe we can convince a Dwade to come here.

3.) Championship.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If the rockets can pass the 1st round this year, Artest will be re-signed. Otherwise, they will go after another star.

15. mms

mms Member

If Artest stays then we wont be able to land another top 2/3 player because there are not enuf minutes for them. Bosh?

16. mms

mms Member

40m/4yrs is a fair offer under current econ situation.

17. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

didn't Morey just about trade him a few weeks back?????

Hmmmmm, I doubt he's gonna say, NO we don't want him back......I don't get why people put so much stock in what GM's say to the media.....

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, Battier is regressing.

If we got a Wade or J.Johnson they can play the two, Artest will play the three and i'm positive Battier will have no problem coming off the bench.

Also yeah I do think Wade is a possibility. He wants to win, and if the Heat are still a 5-8 team in the East next season, he will test his option. If we have a good season next year it's going to be hard for any FA to turn down playing with the talent we are stacking. But anyone we get will help more than Tmac has.

Bosh? Idk, Scola has been playing great lately. I think we need a go to guy playing SG Joe Johnson with Artest.

19. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

To do list:

1. Re-sign Artest.
    2. Sign Dwayne Wade.
    3. Get back-up center.

Championship next 5 years. :cool:

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also we should just let Tmac's contract expire. Whose to say he doesn't come back and actually help out next season?

If he's still the same old Tmac oh well, we get 21 million off the cap to spend on anyone we want to.