1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth Teacher Pleads for Assistance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sounds like a comrade tweeting.

Invisible Fan and BaselineFade like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Is it illegal to want the law enforced?

BruceAndre and Cohete Rojo like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to the Supreme Court...

The Supreme Court ruled in Plyler v. Doethat public schools are required to provide schooling for children, regardless of their immigration status. Schools cannot askstudents about their immigration status or report them or family members to federal immigration authorities.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As a husband of a Texas teacher I actually understand how Texas teachers can actually be going to extremes to doing this. However MOST Texas teachers are sympathetic to the children, and love them. Even if they aren't up to learning standards, are new to US customs, and can't speak fluent English.

No Child Left Behind ( a George W. Bush era policy) is the root cause for law enforcement and School Districts mandating Hispanic Immigrants attending school when they are so far removed from the standard of learning that other kids are that have been in public school since Pre-K. Its a disservice to them, the other students, and the teachers that have such a different level of learning from one child to another.

NCLB actually has good intentions, but it doesn't take into account alot of the nuances of integrating learners at such different levels, and it doesn't take into account the bandwidth of the teacher.

And let me say this... My wife and others do not blame the child for their disinterest. They were told by their parents that they are coming over to work, and feel like school is not important for what will matter for them and their families to make money & survive. That's the real tragedy here. There's no hope with alot of these kids... ESPECIALLY Ft. Worth ISD which is kind of a sh*tty school district that is underfunded by .... you guessed it... a heavy right wing local political circle here that focuses on private schools. Fort Worth is really a haves vs have nots city. Very poorly integrated.

If a teacher in Ft Worth happens to watch Fox News at night, and then goes to school to see what she sees through her political lens, I can totally see how this sentiment could happen unfortunately. Most teachers though... have a heart, and I see it every day that even though they are frustrated with NCLB, they truly care about ALL of these kids, and don't just assume that just because they don't speak English that well that they must be "Illegals" who need to be deported.

Kim, Amiga, FranchiseBlade and 2 others like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I had an in-law that was head of ft worth isd's math department. She was one of the first blacks to graduate from TCU. She has since passed.

Just took this opportunity to say that

CometsWin and JuanValdez like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

She deserves to be punished for her classroom behavior and comments. I am on the fence about being punished for the tweets.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This occurs to me because I just finished my (anti-)harassment training at work. Policies increasingly take a wide lens on the use of social media to create a hostile environment. I'm betting the kids in that school district would be held accountable for making a hostile environment if they used Twitter to single out and shun a particular demographic of student. Shouldn't the teacher be equally if not more accountable?

FranchiseBlade and biff17 like this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

The more you know.

That's gonna leave a mark.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

The tweets are a reflection of the school district, every new school year they hold seminars telling you that social media should be monitored and reflects on the school district as a whole.

If a parent thinks a teacher has it out for a student they can point back to these tweets as an example.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I am off the fence.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You didn't actually answer the question.

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Didn't Obama quietly scuttle this policy?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People think that these folx never let their bigotry seep into their professional life?
    How many kids had their lives altered for the worse because slippages of bigotry into the classroom?

Rocket River

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think in like 2014 or something some revisions happened. I don’t know that it really changed much from what I heard, and not sure there’s a silver bullet to the fundamental issue of children only attending school because the cops will question them or their parents if they are caught out of class out in public during class hours.

That basic issue leads to one thing which leads to another. From being around teachers all the time that discuss this the issue behind the issue is the fundamental lack of value the kids see in spending their time in the classroom with skills they don’t believe they need immediately and ultimately to feed their family.

Not sure there’s an easy answer to that class system societal issue.

However I do often hear about and even know quite a few Hispanic kids that are massive success stories, and my wife takes pride in the job she does for some of these kids who find a place they feel they belong in the arts where they might not feel they fit in math or science as easily. Maybe that’s a different way of looking at it... as a standard curriculum issue. Not sure.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is it illegal to want the law enforced - no. It is not illegal to want the law enforced. Is what is allegedly happening at her school illegal - according to the Supreme Court, no.

Amiga likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not enough to blame our education problems on bigotry

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Loosely Translated: F*CK THEM KIDS . .. I GOT A NARRATIVE TO PROMOTE!

Rocket River

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You took the opportunity to promote the narrative.

Edit: why did you do well in school?

Edit: your post loosely translated

F the truth. We cant look bad

#20 pgabriel, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019