1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(For Fun) Call Your Shot - Pick Any Two Players

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Sep 13, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Still see people mentioning Teheran and Freeman

Atlanta was clear they were not selling as they move into their new park next year, then they went and added Kemp

They will likely be in "buy" mode this offseason. Those two guys simply aren't going to be available

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Player #2: Carlos Beltran.

39 years old with no sign of slowing down. A good value FA signing for Luhnow.

The Astros really need to add a top of the rotation starter. What little pitching that is available in FA this offseason will require a severe overpay, money and years. Not unless the Astro want to bring back ... the man ... the myth ... Scott Feldman ;)

3. awc713

awc713 Member

That and their reported asking price for either was laughable per league execs.

4. Buck Turgidson

Depends on what you offer. Blockbuster trades that help both teams have happened with regularity.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Couple musings:

1) I don't see us adding a TOR SP this offseason. The asking price will be irrationally high. I'd rather keep Bregman and LMJ (+ the other pieces to said deal) than move for say, 1 of Teheran, Sale, or whatever top 20 pitcher who might be available. Plus, I do not think 1 TOR guy alone (minus Breggy/LMJ/etc) will save this team. Maybe I'm overreacting to this recent stretch (and perhaps LMJ/Kuechel absence blows this issue out of proportion), but I think we need stronger arms across the entire rotation.

2) Instead of trading for 1 TOR, I'd like to see us make a couple trades/moves that address the entire rotation. Padres would likely move Ross for just minor leaguers. See what the price on Pineda, Moore and Odorizzi is. Honestly, we should consider a 6-man rotation if the inning limits will help LMJ and Kuechel.

3) Please sign Chapman. Give him something ridiculous. I don't care. We f'ing deserve it. Out of any franchise, with the penny pinching, and shameless losing, that has occurred over the past decade. Just sign him, god damnit! I don't care if it's not a financially prudent decision in a vacuum. I'm sick of hearing this cheap BS. This is the offseason where we need to start spending. I swear to god, if we waste this precious window...I won't go there. Signing Chapman is a move that winning teams make. Have a shut down bullpen. Limit your SP innings. Win-win.

4) I don't understand the Ramos obsession. Yes, he's having an incredible offensive season. But his career stats aren't swoon-worthy, and offensive output from the catcher position seems far lower on the totem poll of needs than some on this board make it out to be. You can win WS without elite offensive production from the C position. Gattis is one helluva offensive catcher. Let him work on actually playing the position this offseason, and complement him with a stud defensive catcher. They're cheap as dirt anyways.

4) Sign Cespedes. Go for the Cuban hail mary. Both Gurriels + Yo + Chapman. Yo is reportedly BFF with Yuli. Signing Yo + Chapman will be expensive, but its not unheard of costly. Address SP depth by trading only pieces from our farm:

C: Gattis
    1B: Yuli
    2B: Jose
    SS: CC
    3B: Bregman
    OF: Yo, Springer, Marisnick
    DH/depth: Reed/Marwin/Kemp/Teoscar/Castro or another defensive C

SP: Kuechel, LMJ, Ross, Pineda, McHugh, Devinski
    LR: Feliz, Fiers
    Wrap it up: Gregerson, Giles, Harris, Chapman

6. Buck Turgidson

I was wrong. I saw defensive potential and improvement and some solid play out of him earlier. I was wrong. He has regressed to the point to where he's detrimental behind the plate.

You cannot have Gattis as your everyday catcher. He's a fine backup/DH guy.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Agree, not everyday. Everyday catcher stars, what, 130 games a year? I'm fine with slotting Gattis at C around 70-85 games a year, depending on that days matchup. I actually like the Castro/Gattis combo. Castro ranks highly defensively across several advanced stats (and fielding%) compared to other ML catchers. But my point is that catching output is low on our teams overall needs, and that hedging Gattis with a cheap option is better for the overall construction of our team.

8. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Charlie Blackmon would be an absolute steal, and adds a much needed left handed bat to the top of the order. If Michael Pineda is available I'm taking him too, he's been an excellent pitcher all season with some really bad luck (based on his peripheral stats).

9. Buck Turgidson

That's too much Gattis. He makes the pitchers worse, the Stros can't afford that.

10. The Beard

Ok well, if you want to move Lance and Bregman then yea they might bite

Doesn't make you better though

We need to move prospects for help now, that ain't happening with Atlanta

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What evidence is there that Gattis makes pitchers worse? I'm fine with Gattis as the primary catcher as long as the backup is capable to step into an 'everyday' role if needed.

12. The Beard

Depends on the staff

If we add a front rotation guy, Keuchel is back to being great, Lance is healthy...then I'm more than fine with Gattis

Many many questions surround this team. Lots of talent here, will be somewhat in contention pretty much whatever they do

But if we want to be legit WS contenders there is a lot of work to be done

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I would be interested in getting homer Bailey as a reclaimation project.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

He's due 19MM, 21MM, 23MM, and 25MM over the next 4 seasons. No thanks.

15. The Beard

80 million dollar reclamation project?

Maybe not

16. Buck Turgidson

Other than watching him?

He allows about a passed ball + wild pitch per game (9 innings caught). He cannot, really cannot catch a staff that relies on burying sliders and curves in the dirt. He's not quick enough to the ground or the side. In layman's terms, he can't block ****.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unfortunately that is not being reflected in W-L, runs allowed per his starts, ERA per his starts.... which coincides with why he's catching at the most regular/most frequent rate since he's been here.

This staff also does throw its share of wild pitches. Castro has seen his fair share go by in the second half (with less playing time). It'd be one thing if they had a gold-glove caliber catcher back there... along with minimal holes in the rest of the lineup... but they don't have that luxury.

If its a choice between:
    below avg blocking/above avg arm/above avg bat (Gattis)
    vs.
    avg blocking/avg arm/below avg bat (Castro)

I'm probably leaning towards the first one to supplement a lineup that needs every bit of his bat when its on.

#57 Nick, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The fact that he's owed so much means that the prospect cost would be relatively small . He pitched well enough to earn that contract but had a down year or so . Our payroll can definitely support adding him , there aren't any good pitchers on the fa market .

19. Buck Turgidson

That is unfortunate, not wrong, just unfortunate. It's that damn luck again.

Castro: 820 innings caught, 56 balls to the backstop
    Gattis: 403 IC, 52 balls to the backstop

I know you know that those stats are only kept when there are men on base and they advance.

20. The Beard

Knowing we aren't going to be a spend at all costs franchise

That would be an incredibly stupid way to spend