1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fool's Gold

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We are winning games so everyone is happy. However, I think McHale is making a mistake by not play our Rookies. We are 2-0, but can you honestly expect Harden to average 40 minutes and 40 points on 60% shooting? We beat two pretty bad teams and it isn't like we blew them out. He didn't play Marcus Morris all of last year and now that he gets some playing time he shows us something. We need to develop some of our young guys and see how good they are because expecting harden to play like the greatest player in the history of basketball is fool's gold.

Without harden this team would most likely be 0-2. I think harden can average 25-30 on 60ts% which would put him on durant or lebron's level. Right now he is averaging 41pts on 76ts% which is a level or two above any player in the history of the game.

2. echu888

echu888 Member

It's the second game of the season. The rookies will get some burn later.

3. jvu

jvu Member

Speculating... Is no bueno

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

My concern is Tony Douglas sucking. I really wanted to keep Shaun Livingston, but I know the reasons why the cut him, but we have to have someone out there that can actually run the second unit. I really wish Royce could develop some sort of game so he could have those responsibilities because Tony is killing us. If Tony was half decent then JLin and Harden wouldn't have to play so many minutes.

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Fool's Gold??? I dont think so....I was thinking we sell high! Possible scenarios

#1 Harden to the Heat for Lebron and Bosh and 2 1sts

#2 Harden to OKC for Kevin Martin,Jeremy Lamb, and Westbrook

#3 Harden to Lakers for Dwight and Pau and a 2nd

#4 Harden to Jazz for Jefferson,Millsap,Favors,Kanter and 4 first rounders

All seem plausible to me at this point, hopefully Morley reads clutchfans....

ps right now bobcats look silly for not trading the #2 for harden before the draft, I know we havent seen kidd gilchrist yet but Harden looks to be for real

6. javguy

javguy Member

I agree but it's a long season lets give him some time.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is no fools gold harden is pure gold and noone is expecting to win 50 games. There's a 1st yr playing starting and a 2nd yr first rounder "taking the rookies minutes" we are playing youth and the rookies will get their chance

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Why would you want to trade a young up and coming superstar for old and unproven players?

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

McHale is old school... He doesn't let rookies play until they show him they are ready. If we were in tank mode I'd agree with you, but the rockets are trying to win games so I am not concerned. The rooks will get their playing time when they are ready... Some rookies that get thrown into the fire to early burn out before their careers even start.

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Fool's gold? Remember, we are supposed to be bad this year while at least the Hawks is playoff bond.

Just enjoy the win

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm concerned that the rookies are going to feel more pressure to make something happen when they finally get in a game if they don't start getting a few minutes soon. The rookies may think that if they don't make an immediate impact the second they step on the floor, they may end up like Morris and get sent down to the D league or get stuck on the bench for the rest of the year. I would like to see at least one or two of the rookies start getting some playing time.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except this model is unsustainable. Harden is not going to average 41pts@75ts%. What happens when it stops? This is an 82 game schedule.

13. torocan

torocan Member

One thing to keep in mind is the Rockets have a 4 day break after today.

It's possible that McHale wants to get Lin/Harden max burn time (to increase chemistry) AND just get these wins locked away.

He'll then have 4 days for the rookies to practice and work off tape, which should hopefully result in them coming back better prepared to play some minutes.

He also *might* be using these games as a teaching opportunity to the Rooks... IE, showing them what full game effort looks like, the importance of chasing down rebounds, boxing out, shot selection, sharing the ball, etc.

If I was a Rook and saw Harden and Lin putting up these kinds of games, then Harden/Lin/McHale came and said we had to work harder, I'd sure as heck be alot more open to listening...

1 person likes this.
  14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

When it stops? No problem, then we will lose some games. We are not there yet as everyone knows. The rookies won't get us there at least not this year. McHale wants a winning attitude and a winning organization which helps you in attracting other players (look, we were already this good without you, now if you come here and we pair you with Harden, we will win big...). Meanwhile he developes the rookies the old way and I wouldn't say the wrong way. And I'm sure we will see jones in the lineup soon, and Moti/White somewhere along the way.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How dare McHale ignore our rookies in favor of greybeards like Asik, Morris, Aldrich, Patterson and Smith? How dare McHale play Lin and Harden so many minutes and fail to develop high ceiling prospects Toney Douglas and Scott Machado!

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Out of all our rooks the only one I trust is Terrence Jones.

Dmo is inconsistent and would get destroyed on defense. Royce White isn't a shooter which is what we need from our PF now. I think PPat has taken more 3's these two games than all last season.

The thing is Patterson and Morris have been playing great so there's no need for the other 3 (rookie) PF's to be added right now. We have to establish some chemistry with the rotation.

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Me take the Gold please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can lean back on the Silver later gator. Go Rockets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Example of WAY over thinking.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't think about the 4 days off, as I never bothered to check the schedule. But very good point here. Have the experienced guys play the first 3 games, and use the days off to get the rookies to gain understanding of real NBA basketball.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I want to see the rooks to but just maybe McHale knows what he's doing. Mook suddenly looks like he might have some game, could it be because of the way McHale brought him along? I don't know bit as long as we're winning I'm not b****ing.