1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Florida Night Club Shooting - at least 20 dead - impact on US elections?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Will this shooting help Trump or Clinton, if it turns out that it was religiously motivated terror?

1. It will help Trump

51.0%
  2. It will help Clinton

7.3%
  3. It will help neither of them

41.7%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He got killed.

He killed 50 (!!!) others. I don't think that quote stands.

If he reaped what he sowed, he would have been taken alive and tortured for years.

Unfortunately, that's often not the case.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I voted neither. The thing is, this (very sadly) isn't a new issue at all. Everyone has a "lean" one way or the other. If you're on the gun control side, the use of an AR-15 is easy. If you're on the other side, it's easy to focus on the shooter's background and/or ideology. I don't see what in this changes people's minds either way, seeing as how there seems to be a built-in case for all sides.

That said, it might help Trump in a very small way. He was in the midst of an absolutely vicious cycle of news coverage for him... the Trump U judge stuff, Democratic party coming together around Hillary, etc. This shooting will absolutely dominate news coverage for at least a week (and possibly much more), thus resetting the news cycle.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And the moron of the thread.

-It wont help anyone in the elections ... nevermind Trump has been raging on about Islamic Terror and Hillary has ignored it. You are right, this wont help Trump at all.

-Its the white racists and Trumps fault ... despite this incident has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHITE OR BLACK PEOPLE or Trump.

-It has nothing to do with religion ... even though homosexual were targeted, which is expressly forbidden in Islam and punishable by death.

-Another Christian snipe

-ITS THOSE EVIL GUNS! ... if we can just get rid of guns, then all violence and hatred int he world will end. How many times has radical islam used bombs? How much more devastating would this have been if it was a suicide bomber?? At least the US keeps tight controls on these types of ordances .

-Reiterates religion wasn't a factor and still believes everyone else are the idiots of the world.

1 person likes this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Since a lot of murders in the United States don't happen by Muslims, it is a bit surprising imo.

5. conquistador#11

why would a muslim shoot a gay club? what if the shooter was attracted to the same sex and felt disgusted at the mere thought because of his religion? does one still blame muslim? I know in my country, if one is catholic, one is hardcore leftist but they still look down on gays which is sad.

Too many issues for me to say Muslim is evil, but their more radical followers would serve themselves better if they fought for their ideals in the battle field. Fight soviets, fight christians do whatever, but keep it in the mountains. Purposely ambushing civilians is cowardice no matter the religion or ism.

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Muslim ban, amirite?

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This certainly sounds like something within the realm of possibility.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm a moron for urging people not to jump to conclusions and react with hate? Oookay.

There's a lot of sensitive, straw grasping in your response. Sorry I struck a nerve.

On top of that, I didn't blame anyone. I just stated what I believe to be fact- that most people are stupid and buy into fear mongering, and because of that, it will help Trump, though it shouldn't.

#28 Two Sandwiches, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Afghan gonna Afghan

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

First, I stated that most of the mass murders in the US were NOT committed by radical Islamists- learn to read. Second, violence in the US has NOT risen after President Obama decided to pull out of the Middle East. Not overall violence, nor terror attacks on US soil by Islam extremists.

Second, the liberals are not supporting radical Islam. The liberals are saying that you cannot blame someone's religion for an act of terror. You blame the person who committed the act of terror.

Third, regarding ATW's point, I already suggested some of those. Again, if you have hate crimes from Christian extremists, are you willing to start profiling Christian churches? If a Hispanic goes off on a shooting spree next year, are you going to profile Hispanics? If you are going to profile Muslims living in America (and we don't know at this point what this person's leanings were), how far do you go? You want to make Muslims carry a card?

Again, yes, we're talking about the weapon because it is very difficult to shoot 100+ people in a few minutes with a handgun, right? And it's better to have more armed police officers in places with mass groups of people.

Profiling? DK

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Has Israel "won" their war against terrorism? They have a right-wing extremist government whose defense ministry is led by somebody who wants to "behead" unloyal Arabs. I don't mean to belabor the point, but winning isn't just being sadistic and rhetorical for no reason, winning is preventing terror attacks, and on that measure, it's my understanding that Israel is not doing so hot on that. 2015 (108) had more terrorist incidents alone then the First Intifada in its entirety (75) (http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/terrisraelsum.html). yes, yes, the underlying ideology has something to do with all that, but the simple fact is that a war against terror should reduce terror.

Maybe war isn't the solution after all.

If it's eye for eye people are seeking, so be it, but let's not pretend that will lead to the optimal goal of having the least possible of these attacks, especially over generations.

1) Adding metal detectors, just like after Columbine, is probably going to be a thing.

2) Profiling is already happening, and this incident had nothing to do with planes. I don't know how you'd stop it because we don't know how the killer got in, but a dude of ANY profile with an AR-15 is going to get in one way or another to a club.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_racial_profiling_in_the_United_States

3) "Deterrence isn't fair"--Adam Lanza killed his own mother. This serial killer doesn't seem to have cared about what their family thought as he hadn't inform them. I highly doubt psychotic serial killers on the loose are going to be persuaded by having their own families or ethnic groups punished, though Trump might propose to bulldoze their parents' home, who knows.

4) The United States has taken the lead on killing the brains and financiers of the terror movement, even going so far as to kill its own citizens without trial. They're hamstrung by not going after the oil-providers. I would say reducing oil dependence is a big part of any solution.

5) The NYPD did this to a limited degree. Unfortunately, it was ruled unconstitutional. Americans can choose to violate their laws in the pursuit of some temporary security, but I see that as an ill-advised move.

6) I have never known a country to prioritize Muslim grievances over their own national security interests, and I suspect the Middle East would look vastly different if that were the case.

Now, Muslim grievances that have the force of the Constitution in them, that's another matter. Again, I believe rule of law ensures America's security much more than temporary feel-good measures for a statistically near-null risk.

7) We don't know yet, but every indication indicates this man was a legal citizen of the United States (he had registered to vote--for yes, the Democrats). not sure how border control would help.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It has done as well as one could possibly expect, considering how it is a tiny country surrounded by enemies who wish nothing more than "to kill the Jews", and already indoctrinate their children with that wish.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Bulldozing houses doesn't seem to have abated that sentiment.

14. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

You are forgetting a not so minor difference between Israel and the U.S. - Israel does not have a constitution.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I highly doubt this is the worst mass shooting in US history. I pretty sure whole Native American Villages were massacred at much worst numbers via rifles but that recorded history is classified...

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/or...t-motivated-orlando-nightclub-shooter-n590496

From the father:

Mateen, who was carrying a handgun and AR-15-type rifle, died after a SWAT team stormed the club, police said. The shooter, who worked in security, according to the family, had active security officer and firearms licenses, records show.

Because of his name and heritage, there were immediate questions about Mateen's possible ties to Islamic fundamentalism — but his father said it may have been a recent incident involving two men showing each other affection that set the gunman off.

"We were in Downtown Miami, Bayside, people were playing music. And he saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry," Mir Seddique, told NBC News on Sunday. "They were kissing each other and touching each other and he said, 'Look at that. In front of my son they are doing that.' And then we were in the men's bathroom and men were kissing each other."

"We are saying we are apologizing for the whole incident," Seddique said. "We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country."

Seddique added, "This had nothing to do with religion."

17. sammy

He must be a closet homosexual.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

But that's against the laws of Allah... Ahhh!!!!! :mad: That's what happened.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"This had nothing to do with religion", but he cites an incident that clearly would not offend a liberal atheist, yet talks about it as if it somehow explains (or even justifies) his son's actions, based on the Islamic beliefs of himself and his son.

Also, the article states that the guy had a criminal justice degree. So much for the narrative of "socio-economic reasons, poverty, education are the causes, religion has nothing to do with it".

20. sammy

Gay people have been attacked by people of other religions. I'm more concerned with the "ISIS IS HERE" gang that will use this as ammo and monger fear. We've already seen texxx do it in another thread.