1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] How starting Eric Gordon at SF fits in Rockets' plan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Feigen details MDA's reason for starting Eric Gordon at SF.....

"D’Antoni likes to get Gordon back on the floor when Harden sits. If Gordon comes off the bench and stays in the game until Harden rests and returns, that is too long of a stretch. By starting, he can sit and return and play while fresh."

"House, meanwhile, seems able to play through long stretches without showing signs of fatigue." "If he plays well, neither Luc Mbah a Moute or DeMarre Carroll, who were both unavailable on Friday, are likely to cut into his playing time."

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We haven't really done all that well with him at SF previously. But this time it's different? Okay.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Too tall for SF in our system. Should play C.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Eric Gordon is too much of a volume player to coincide with Westbrook and Harden. And I'd rather have the ball in Westbrook or Harden's hands.

He has been awful everytime he's been relegated to just a spot up shooting role. Hence why he blew up for 50 against the Jazz.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden and Russ going to dominate the ball, I wonder what EG will do with all that free time in the starting lineup.

Kim likes this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Chill and take pictures of Harden and Westbrook do it all.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

why can't "Gordon get on the floor when Harden sits" when House or Mclemore starts?

8. fattz

fattz Member

My hope is Gordon finds his role and his happiness. I hope he fills the stat sheets and able to raise his trade value. In doing so he can take on a “Harden” role on his new team for his continued success.

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I prefer House starting with EG off the bench. And I agree EG needs to be paired up with Westbrook. But by doing this, that really limits EG's minutes and I guess that is MDA's issue with that.

ak99999, jcmoon, BasketMAD and 2 others like this.
  10. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Whos gonna score off the bench for us? Gordons ppg gonna drop if hes in the starting line up with russ and harden, there just not enough ball for gordon. Its gonna drop alot, and we're not gonna have a scorer slasher off the bench, and house is not Gordon.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry, I don't see it, he is far too selfish offensively, and injury prone overall - I want him traded this offseason. I think D'Antoni has lost the plot here going this small...

DD

JoeBarelyCares and ak99999 like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

I knew that piece by some Houston reporter that MDA is experimenting with the starting line-up when it came to starting Gordon was 100% bullshit and it simply is the plan to start him. And there goes my hope for Mbah a Moute, see y'all next season.

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

EG is a negative defender at the 3. He's also a bad ball handler, horrible rebounder, and a inconsistent shooter. I wouldn't even label him a shooter. The team was in need of bigger bodies since last offseason. But instead of filling the holes on the roster, they decided to go all in on small ball to salvage the season. I honestly think small ball is being used as a excuse to not improve the roster. If spreading the floor is really the reason for small ball then Morey would be looking for undersized bigs that can shoot & REBOUND. Playing guards and SFs vs Big men ain't smart. Rebounds matter, the extra possessions make a big difference at the end of the games. I don't want to see this team get bullied again like that Knicks game.This won't end well.

#13 Crashlanded19, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    BasketMAD and DaDakota like this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Not having fun...

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

we dont know how long the starting stretch will be . For all we know he could be in there for 4 min then get back in after 5 min on the bench.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Contrary to what EG has said in the past, ego plays a part in this as well. Supposedly Gordon worked really hard to get in shape and come back so I guess we will have to wait and see.

If Gordon is defensively motivated, he is an upgrade on that end. He has a strong 6’10” wingspan, is strong, good athlete and better laterally... he just has to be interested and focused.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I would rather have more length as well... but the Rockets added one of the best 10-15 defenders in the league at the deadline. Gordon is a negative defender when he has zero motivation and is out of shape. If he is healthy, motivated and in shape then he is an upgrade over House defensively.

JoeBarelyCares, jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

A little contradictory. MDA is saying that Gordon is better in short spurts. When he plays too many minutes at once then he isn’t as affective. So starting him is going to limit long stretches of play? If a player isn’t able to play a lot of minutes then doesn’t that make him better suited for a bench role?

I guess the plan is to take Gordon out with WB kind of halfway through the first half and replace them with House and Rivers. Then, when Harden comes out with PJ (or whoever) around the 2 minute mark they will put WB and Gordon in together. House will probably play 8-10 minute stretches and Gordon will play 6 minute stretches.

If this is the case then MDA wants to pair Gordon with WB the entire game. Harden and House will share the court when WB isn’t in. The Rockets must have some evidence that WB needs a player who can hit the above the break 3 with regularity and that is something that Gordon does better than House.

19. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Lol small ball only works when you can actually win with the ability to switch effectively to play better efficient team defense.

It doesn't really work well when your opponents are able to dominant the boards and score effortlessly over the smaller sized team. The main reason why we were able to get as far as we did when Chris Paul was first here was because we had a motivated Chris Paul/Luc/Ariza able to shore up this teams defense.

We let Ariza walk for a bigger contract, Luc signed elsewhere and has been irrelevant for the Clippers ever since he last played with us, and we swapped Chris Paul for Westbrook while going all in on this small ball that hasn't really worked. We don't have the right players that are versatile enough defensively while also able to contribute on the offensive end.

GS is only able to get this method going because they all have CORE FRANCHISE PLAYERS THAT ACTUALLY COMPLIMENT EACH OTHER. Hi Morey and Tillman, you can keep throwing talented players that don't work well with each other and hope we win through sheer talent. Also Draymond Green is way more effective defensively than PJ Tucker is and Both Curry and Thompson can both play off the ball.

Next year the GSW will still be one of the top 4 teams in the NBA with Wiggins hopefully working on his ability to spread the floor and also Curry/Thompson coming back healthy. There will be enough vets who want to ring chase to join their bench. The Rockets? Yeah idk, I love them and bleed Rockets Red but oh my goodness, this might be another painful season .

kjayp likes this.
  20. HardenVolumeOne

would like an honest answer, do you think we would be better this year had we kept cp3 over Brodie? I mean I know our 2nd unit would be better for sure but cp3 just couldn’t stay healthy for us