1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feature] Justice League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmenacela, Jun 8, 2012.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That's because half the country was watching Forrest Gump while the other half was watching Pulp Fiction

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree. I think DC just ASSUMES its core audience and everyone knows their characters
    Batman v Superman was more. . THE BIG THREE IN ONE MOVIE more than anything else. . . . come see the big three
    Seem like they wrote themselves into a corner then just hit the Eject with "The Martha Moment"
    Man of Steel . .. I did not like the time jumping style esp since it did not fit the story . . . made it more of a mess
    Wonder Woman was good but not great. The most recent Thor is on par with it

I am going to see the Justice League on Monday but I am going in with reservations
    and low expectations . . . so I suspect I will be entertained.

i don't hate the DC Movies. .. but they are not overly great
    I have little to no compunction to watch them more than once
    Meanwhile. . . I have probably watched GotG 20 times. . . .
    and every Marvel film multiple time . . . . .

Rocket River

Blurr#7 and Jontro like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is so true. Besides the Dark Knight, I refuse to watch any DC movie a second time. Actually I watched Suicide Squad twice, just to confirm my beliefs that it was that bad the first time I watched it. Belief was instantly confirmed.

It really hurts DC to not have a movie universe that is widely respected and appreciated by fans and general public alike. Bring back Tim Burton. The fact that GOTG was never even heard of by many before the movie came out and it became a hit immediately for everyone shows how much Marvel has gotten right. I hate that DC only has a handful of GREAT characters and they are losing supporters for their movies cause they cant seem to choose directors to showcase what they can be, while Marvel has a plethora of character and has made their movies fun, yet still driving in the points of the comic books. DC has lost their chance to ever make a stake in the comic book movie world.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Their stab at individual movies . . . .. was hit or miss but did not tie in to anything else
    Green Lantern . . .for all its horrible reviews. . . . IMO had promise. It was a few tweaks from being Not horrible.
    The bones of a good movie are there but then put some crap over it every time

Marvel is taking obscure characters and making people CARE about them
    I think the underlying themes are strong and they make the characters connectable
    GotG - We're all losers, . . . I mean we all lost things
    AntMan - The story of Fathers and Daughters
    Captain America - The underdog made good
    Iron Man - The Cad finds redemption (Same can be said of Dr. Strange)

The super powers and flash are wrapped around those cores
    and that is why we can forgive some things more than we do in DC

what would you say are the Themes of these three Movies?
    Man of Steel -
    BvS -
    WW -

Rocket River

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Watched it tonight and this movie is just...boring. Devoid of any captivating action sequences. I actually found all of the characters perfectly fine, but the plot was weak and the villain was lame. This movie reminded me of the first Avengers, except the novelty of seeing a bunch of superheroes on the screen together is no longer enough to carry it.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

saw it, i was entertained. not as good as a marvel movie, nor did it wow us, but we were briefly entertained by it. they really nerfed steppenwolf. when superman came, it all became all too easy.

also had any of the characters die, i don't think the general public would have minded much.

i don't like how the dc movies are so dark. why does snyder insist things being so dark all the damn time? has he not watched any of the justice league cartoons? they're set during the day and much brighter.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  7. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Saw it last night and I thought it was great. Put it up with the original Iron Man. I found WW to be much more palatable than in her stand alone movie. Don't get the hate personally. Took my wife who is a know nothing super hero type and she stated it was good. Her first sentence was that it was much better than civil war, which she couldn't even remember anything about.

It had some shortcomings script wise, and the all CGI Steppenwolf was a distraction, but overall I was entertained. Comparing it to recent Super hero movies I thought it was better than the bore fest Spidey movie, better than Wonder Woman by a country mile, on par with Gotg2.

I wish people would stop expecting DC to be Marvel. I prefer the darker tones to DCs movie experience. I quite liked BvS specifically for this reason. I feel like its geared more as a movie than the cheesier expected plot lines of the Marvel movies.

This movie was good. Stop the popular DC bashing and just go watch it.

mrm32 likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's being bashed for good reasons. we all watched it, and came to similar conclusions. though it wasn't horrible, i did enjoy it, i don't like the snyder tone.

to each their own, but dc is yet to find a winning formula. afterall their whole point is to make money with these things.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  9. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Your just looking to bash. You cry Martha moment, but overlook something as ridiculous as a camera on a deserted country road in 1991 showing Tony Starks parents getting murdered.

Or the ludicrous, "Oh yeah we cleared out this airport of Civilians so we can have this giant super battle.

Or the cringe worthy Spidey star wars banter.

Bash "civilian casulties" but have no problems with giant worm ships knocking out whole buildings in Age of Ultron.

All movies have issues. Stop expecting DC to produce "brighter, cheerier" super hero movies.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

you're confusing me with other movie goers. if you don't like marvel and prefer DC then good on you. you're a rare breed.

i really like the DC cartoons, and expected something like their justice league version, but instead got snyder's version :/

though it wasn't bad, i expected more. you misunderstood my point, i actually enjoyed it. i criticize the parts i don't like, so what?

seems like you have more problems with marvel than i do with dc.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  11. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

No I like both. Just don't get the harsher criticism for D.C.

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I thought BvS was supposed to be the setup movie? This movie is just setting up Loren crap and I don’t know when we are going to get the pay off. Warner’s Bros just has t set up their DC universe enough to start doing Justice League yet IMO

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'll watch it. Whether the movie sucks or not depends on the movie. Let the movie stand on its own merits...if it has them.

14. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Watched it opening night in IMAX and was shocked it was not sold out, not even close.

I think it was one of the better D.C. Movies and I think it was definitely too short. If they could have utilized superman's black costume even for a short amount of time I think that would have been good enough fan service for better public and critical reception. Overall I was satisfied and the flash was a bright spot with his comedic timing. I do think after this failed box office opening weekend dc movies days are numbered.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the near empty seats is people feeling burned by D.C. once too often.
    People are more WAIT AND SEE with this one than any others before it

Rocket River

Blurr#7 likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

yeah it's a shame. theoretically DC has nowhere to go but up with snyder out. hopefully they'll have my favorite character, green lantern, in the next one. but if people are annoyed by cgi's in this one, how would they feel when green lantern arrives? he's pure bright green cgi. i liked that they had lanterns in the ancient battle scene.

would like a super prequel to those ancient times. the writers would have complete freedom with the characters as our current heroes weren't even a sperm yet.

mrm32 likes this.
  17. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

Hopefully this marks the definitive end of the Zack Snyder era. He never should have been given such carte blanche with the DCEU (indeed, he should never have been allowed within 500 feet of a Superman set to begin with). Hopefully someone who respects the characters and knows how to direct a cohesive movie gets a shot next go-round (if there is one).

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Just saw the movie and it exceeded my expectations. Enjoyed the references to BvS and WW. There is regret from both Bruce and Diana about the past that is touched on. And interestingly both address it towards each other in antagonistic preaching manner while both realizing they could have done things better or different. It was a refreshing angle to see. Diana even had that conversation with cyborg which foreshadowed her regrets (her love for Steve before his death)...Flash had some fun moments and there is a encounter where there is fan service about him being faster than a certain "someone" - which he appears to be maybe faster but barely. Either way it was unexpected at both the climax and near the end. Cyborg was interesting and Aquaman but both seemed the weakest characters of the bunch, but there is a hilarious scene where he is sitting on WW lasso of truth and yea , the truth comes out. The theater seemed to enjoy that the most. ...the final battle seemed to be too quick but all in all...I enjoyed this more than I thought. I heard about bad reviews but I can't complain with what I saw and would go again.

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

it took 20 minutes for superman to put a shirt on, geezus....

Obito likes this.
  20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I saw it twice this past weekend. I really don't get how you can't have a good time with this film. Took my 70 year old parents to see it the second time around and they had a blast.

I personally thought it felt a lot like one of the animated Bruce Timm Justice League stories except a live action take. Characters were all well served, really like their take on The Flash and Cyborg. Cyborg in particular was really well done.

The villain wasn't great but I never really thought Steppenwolf was all that interesting to begin with. From what I remember of his character it was fairly accurate. I enjoyed the action, thought it was all well staged, CGI wasn't great but I wasn't bothered by it.

I'd probably watch it again if I had the chance.

If anyone is interested I've posted my full review on the blog in my signature.

FLASH21 likes this.